Home U.S. Coin Forum

Not just a Monster IKE? A SICK MONSTER!

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 14, 2021 8:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Not mine, I wish. My dealer friend's. One of the workers discovered it in the Brown Ike Set. Years ago. I told her, the owner had better given you a raise! What a find, huh? Exquisite in the most highest form. Whatcha guys think?

Look At This! WoW

<3<3<3<3

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! Given it toned in the package how do you prevent it from any further toning?

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very pretty!

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2021 8:48PM

There's something you don't see every day....

Wow!

Godzilla Ike!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

He had a $4000 price tag on it. Wouldn't doubt if he gets it too! B)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭

I was gonna ask how much, as I was born in 1974. You lost me at $4000...

• ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Im sorry but i don't think this is NT. I've seen to many examples being gassed in the holder.... IMHO

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not the sort of toning for me. To each their own.

Collector, occasional seller

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

The toning especially on the obverse looks very suspicious to me.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• EbeneezerEbeneezer Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

NGC only shows eight for a top population in the GSA holder. Looking at the previous price realized for a non-GSA, in the same top pop grade but in Ultra Cameo, the four most recent auctions (All from Heritage in 2019) the price ranged from $192-$360 in both NGC and PCGS. Why this should be considered when trying to put a value on the coin in question is popularity in the series, which is growing, and where collectors are drawn. All things equal, with rainbow toned coins as popular if not more with the ultra cameos, a well over premium wouldn't be out of the question. $4,000? A bit high in my opinion. Yet with only eight, half of that would not come as a surprise.

Yeah guys, He might of placed such a high price thinking he probably doesn't want to sell it?

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

There may never be a topper. In that sense.... a rare find.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pmh1nic said:
    Nice! Given it toned in the package how do you prevent it from any further toning?

Ship it into outer space and enjoy.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a pretty neat and wild toner. Not something I would want especially with that price tag lol.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even amazing toning can't make an Ike dollar look good.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • It’s funny to me hearing people call this coin AT. I should go get some popcorn.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can believe that I am the only one that wonders what the coin looked like 25 years ago...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

not at $4,000 dollars, it isint that good

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    He had a $4000 price tag on it. Wouldn't doubt if he gets it too! B)

Is that the one in Great Collections a while back that never had a bid ?

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure that would make it through the PCGS Sniffer

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SeattleSlammer said:
    Not sure that would make it through the PCGS Sniffer

Yes, looks beautiful but suspect.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tonedroosies said:
    It’s funny to me hearing people call this coin AT. I should go get some popcorn.

Knee jerk reaction there is someone that will always throw the AT bone out there to appear an expert. It is common for these to tone from the holder (but Carson Cities don’t 🤔) and very nice toning this one just happened to have all its ducks land in a row. The only reason I would pay $400 is because I know someone is trying $4000 and I could sell it much cheaper but that most likely turn into one of my more costly stupid mistakes I mentioned in another thread. I chuckled when I saw AT.

• What do people think it’s worth? it’s worth at least $2,200. That’s how much I offered for the coin.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ikes normally don't get my attention but that's pretty nice.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's different ... it's head turning.

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2021 1:58PM

Looks like someone took the coin out and put it in a PCI holder for a spell, then put it back in the original holder.

It's nice but not $4K nice.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me. I don’t like the precise border between toned & untoned around the portrait. Looks suspicious. Outside of a GSA holder, nobody would trust that look.

• SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice toning....better than many nicely toned 1974 S silver proof Ikes - the most commonly toned proof Ikes in the series.
    At $4000, it would be about 125x price guide for pf69. Nope. Maybe 10x to 15x, but not 125x.
    I would expect that for a toned Ikes collector, nicely toned Ikes in the other proof dates would be a harder find than a nicely toned 1974 S silver proof Ike.
    That said, this one was a great find.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, but I think it is ugly! I would not pay over melt for it.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have looked at a ton of toned moderns over the last five years, and there is no harsher critic than I am. The color on this Ike looks like it is embedded in the luster on both the obverse and reverse. Doctored examples usually have the appearance of the color laying on top of the luster. Rotating this one in the light would reveal a real pop of color and it would be deep. I like it for being naturally toned but would caution the owner that it may continue to tone and not always in a good way. A trip to PCGS and get it out of that packaging and in to an inert holder is what I would do. And don't forget to pay for the TrueView. It will be a stunner I'm sure.

edited July 15, 2021 6:45PM

Another Obverse Angle

• ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now from the extra picture's it looks extra QT in my eye's. Especially how theres a 2nd rainbow toned band in the background. Also notice how perfect the circle is of the colors idk maybe it was NT at first then helped along the way.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pmh1nic said:

Store in a low humidity SDB or safe. Not in a humid basement in Texas, like the MS68 1804 Dollar.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tonedroosies said:
    What do people think it’s worth? it’s worth at least $2,200. That’s how much I offered for the coin.

I think that's in the ballpark of its value. Don't think the seller wants to part with it short of a massive overpayment if he declined your offer.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only buy coins for my sets that I need or that upgrade a coin in my set.
    I see many coins that are for sale that PCGS has deemed "questionable color".
    I will never pay for a coin just because it is toned ( Nt or At).
    Not knocking those who do.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file