Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would love opinion on my 1960 D Copper penny

Hi there,
I have a 1960 D copper penny and I am confused by the date size. I have attached pics including a closeup using my digital microscope and the scale I used to weigh it. When I took the pic of it on the scale it was on a surface that was ever so slightly uneven, so the weight came out a tad larger. Any help on whether this is a small date or large date, any idea of what grade it could fall into and whether or not I should bother having this sent to PCGS for grading would be appreciated. I have tried to figure it out myself but am stuck.

Thanks so much!!

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a large date with a slight amount of die erosion doubling on the date & mint mark.

It looks like a mint state MS coin but not a high enough grade to justify sending it in.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Large date that looks to be in AU or low MS condition, not a coin that I would suggest you send in for grading as you can buy an already graded one in a higher grade for what it will cost to send.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a large date. I don't know condition - Maybe AU58 or low MS. And no - do not waste the money to get it graded. It is a very common coin. You would probably need it to grade MS67 to make any of your grading fees back.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    Dnice8Dnice8 Posts: 48 ✭✭✭

Thank you so much! I appreciate the feedback. I would have wasted the money sending it in because I am not well versed enough on grading yet. You all really helped me.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes ... it's a large date.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grading is a challenge for lots of us. You might consider checking ebay periodically for cheap (a few to several dollars) slabbed common coins. You can use those as a reference for comparing the various mint state grades.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

telling a slightly worn coin and not can be hard from photos.

keeping that in mind, you can still get some practice using PCGS' PhotoGrade
    https://www.pcgs.com/photograde#/Lincoln/Grades

let's just say there is no wear... just sayin' you are then looking at MS grades. the lower the MS grade, the more beat up it is.
    just looking at you obverse, it is pretty beaten up. and if there is a little wear that's hard to see in your pics... you're talking what seems to be an AU coin and you're grading wear there.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm seeing a MS-63 large date...value is minimal.

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not a Penny, it is a cent.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if it was a small date it wouldn't be worth the cost of slabbing.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good questions, good pictures... Unfortunately not a coin worth slabbing.... Good luck in your searches. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you had even considered sending that coin in for grading you need to step back and learn a lot more about coins before spending and more money. The coin is an ultra-common 1960-D large date cent that is worth very, very little over face value.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few 1960P large dates. Bought at estate at face. :)

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

Thanks so much. I am confused because I read articles that seem conflicting. Since I am not good with grading, I thought mine look pretty good, and on PCGS there were a couple of auctions that were very high for large date copper CENTS (LOL). I know that I need more experience in learning how to grade. Especially now! I would have thought mine was at least an MS 62+ since it is fully red (to me) and, although I did see more wear on mine, I didn't see that big of a variation in scratches, wear, etc. between mine and this one that sold for $20K (please note I did not assume mine was worth that much, I was hoping maybe it was worth $100):

https://pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1960-d-1c-large-date-rd/2866

Another area that I really grapple with is figuring out the difference between large and small dates. I have a bunch of the 1982 D copper cents, but I just assume they are the worthless ones because I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what in the heck the size of the dates are. They all look different and then after my eyes start glossing over, they all look the same. It is maddening! So, hats off to all of you. You have my utmost respect. This is such a fun hobby but it is also so difficult for me that I am frustrated alot.

• Options

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    hbarbeehbarbee Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

Dnice8,

This is the best descriptive tutorial that I have found for determining the Lincoln cent date size for the 4 different years:

http://www.lincolncentresource.com/smalldates/smalldates.html

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2021 7:05AM

Interesting discussion.

• Options

it also helps to set aside one of each for comparison

@Dnice8 said:

between mine and this one that sold for $20K (please note I did not assume mine was worth that much, I was hoping maybe it was worth $100):

https://pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1960-d-1c-large-date-rd/2866

pcgs uses software to pull auctions and prices off the web. there are mistakes made with retrieval.

That coin did not sell for $20k and I can assure it won't anytime in the future

here are some listed 1960 D MS67RD large dates on ebay right now:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=1960+d+(large,+lrg,+lg)+67&_sacat=0

There are marks all over your coin vs. a 67

• Options

This has been so helpful! Thank you all so much! I had no idea that the PCGS auction prices could be incorrect. I took them as biblical with regard to pricing.

@MsMorrisine Those comparison shots really helped. I was focusing solely on what I considered to be scratches on the face (please forgive what I know is incorrect terminology on that). I have stared at that coin for so long that I did not even see all of the other marks. How sad is that? LOL. Also, with the picture you posted of the small date vs large date, I can see it when comparing those two, but it is so hard for me to differentiate when I have a single coin to view.

@hbarbee Thank you for the recommendation! I will certainly look into that.

Again, thank you all very much. I would also like to give myself a shoutout today for learning how to send an @ to people in this thread. I have come so far. I feel like a job in IT is in my future.

• Options

I had the same trouble

If you find a sm date, keep one of each for reference

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

What she said ^

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file