Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Walker upgrade?

scooter25scooter25 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭

So I’m gonna be sending out an upgrade submission soon and am debating on this one. Figured I’d ask the experts here. Got this guy in an OGH MS66. A 45-D strong strike great luster. Only mark I really see is between the t and y on the obverse. Reverse strike is super strong IMO. Still learning guys be gentle. Think I could get to a 67?

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2021 1:58AM

Either the surfaces are cloudy/hazy or the images are making them look that way. If the former, I don’t think the coin’s an upgrade candidate. And if the latter, we don’t have a good clue what it really looks like.

That said, in addition to the mark you mentioned, I see some on Liberty’s arm, another (or spot(s)) to the right of the far right ray of the sun and one above the I in IN.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2021 2:27AM

nice bump in value to the next grade. Worth the chance, I say go for it.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one. I'd also say ... go for it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also see a ding on the dress and a couple on the Eagle's wing.... will be a close call.... Lose the OGH (which some collectors value) and maybe hit a 67? Your choice. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless you are in the registry, I would leave it in the OGH. Hard to tell from photos how good a chance it is for upgrade but you would need a full point rather than a + to make it worthwhile.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 67 can have marks/hits, but the luster doesn’t look all there. Looks hazy as mFeld pointed out.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS is tough on Walkers. I see just enough reasons why the graders would pass. Otherwise, why not go for a CAC gold if you believe the coin is an upgrade candidate?

peacockcoins

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but the reality is we are looking at an image. The 45-D is usually well struck and this looks to be a nice coin. I don't see the image as helping the cause for an upgrade.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

The luster looks good directly adjacent to the L in LIBERTY. If the rest of the field has the type of luster I think is shown in the photo around L, it may have a good chance. Better pics would help.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would preserve the OGH and just go ahead and buy a 67. It would be more worth it to me to do it that way.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

@Walkerfan said:
    I would preserve the OGH and just go ahead and buy a 67. It would be more worth it to me to do it that way.

Can’t afford to just buy a 67 lol. I can, however, afford a grading fee. A 67 is a hefty mark up.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it does upgrade, you're 90% likely to get a 66+, and 10% likely to get a 67. You loose the OGH if you try it, so there is considerable downside. I'd try to get it in front of someone with some actual experience in the game to get a better feel for its potential.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck. It is a very pretty coin. Hope for the best!

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you will get a + lose the value of the OGH and lose money all the way around, but its your choice and your risk/reward.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2021 3:16PM

@BryceM said:
    If it does upgrade, you're 90% likely to get a 66+, and 10% likely to get a 67. You loose the OGH if you try it, so there is considerable downside.

Exactly.

PERSONALLY, I don't think it will upgrade to 67 based on MY experience.

I don't think that the luster and strike are strong enough and it does have a tick or two.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd leave it as is

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    PCGS is tough on Walkers. I see just enough reasons why the graders would pass. Otherwise, why not go for a CAC gold if you believe the coin is an upgrade candidate?

Agree with braddick 100%.

Plus the OGH is acquiring extra value with time.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the blotchy dark toning on the obverse and reverse would hold it back.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options

Update, I did end up sending it in with a bunch of other hopefuls. PCGS got them on 10/7 so I’m hoping for any day now. It’s going to be truviewed too!!

• Options

@MFeld said:
    Either the surfaces are cloudy/hazy or the images are making them look that way. If the former, I don’t think the coin’s an upgrade candidate. And if the latter, we don’t have a good clue what it really looks like.

That said, in addition to the mark you mentioned, I see some on Liberty’s arm, another (or spot(s)) to the right of the far right ray of the sun and one above the I in IN.

Leave it alone. Agree with mark re the surfaces. Need a bigger pic. I see a hit on one of the sun's rays, another on one of the skirt lines, plus a few small ones on the wing, per Ricko's comment. There's also a hit below the T on the obverse.

It's in an OGH. You might ask for a reconsideration; that way, you don't lose the OGH if it doesn't upgrade. But as Bryce pointed out, I don't know if a 66+ in a new holder is worth more than a 66 in an OGH. I'm inclined to think not.

Don't get me wrong, it appears to be a nice coin, and a keeper. I have a 36 S in 6, and it didn't upgrade to 7 because a hit on the wing. Luster was first rate on a well struck, mark free obverse. Your coin appears to have more issues than mine. The coin has to be all there to get into a 7 holder. Hence the big price jump between grades; few of them are (all there).

• Options

@Elcontador1 said:

@MFeld said:

Leave it alone. Agree with mark re the surfaces. Need a bigger pic. I see a hit on one of the sun's rays, another on one of the skirt lines, plus a few small ones on the wing, per Ricko's comment. There's also a hit below the T on the obverse.

It's in an OGH. You might ask for a reconsideration; that way, you don't lose the OGH if it doesn't upgrade. But as Bryce pointed out, I don't know if a 66+ in a new holder is worth more than a 66 in an OGH. I'm inclined to think not.

Don't get me wrong, it appears to be a nice coin, and a keeper. I have a 36 S in 6, and it didn't upgrade to 7 because a hit on the wing. Luster was first rate on a well struck, mark free obverse. Your coin appears to have more issues than mine. The coin has to be all there to get into a 7 holder. Hence the big price jump between grades; few of them are (all there).

Unfortunately it’s already there. Truview will be nice and if it stays where it is that’s ok by me too, it’s in my registry and I plan to keep it even if I upgrade it eventually. Worth a try in my opinion

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck and hope you got the grade bump.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that is indeed minor haze on the surfaces, careful conservation measures might be considered to remove such materials. This could increase your chances perhaps.
    Might want to see if it’s too late to add that service?

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let us know which way the wind blows.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file