Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Will there be any mules amongst the American Eagle gold and silver coins?

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Though the tweaks to the obverse designs are minor, there exists the possibility that some of the old reverse coins will show the new obverse design and vice versa. Remember the 2008 silver eagles with the reverse of 2007?

Be alert. The world needs more lerts.

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a good point. And it's always exciting when stuff like that happens in our gobby.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good point Capt., it certainly is possible.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the "lert" @CaptHenway.
    Here is hoping that it comes to fruition. ;)
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

'Twould be cool.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll buy thousands of each and let y’all know

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    Looks like the larger date on the newer Type II's is the best indicator as well as the addition of the designer's initials under the date on the Type II silver. Many other obvious obverse die differences. Will they get an "Obverse of Type I" or "Reverse of Type II" label?

And for reference, here are the mint's images. Scroll down for high resolution images:

silver Type I bullion on the left, Type II bullion on the right:

Gold Type I bullion on the left, Type II bullion on the right:

High res of same coins.

Type I bullion:

Type II W unc.:

Type I bullion:

Type II bullion:

Great resolution photos.
    I will save this post for future reference.
    Thanks
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

The missing reed is below the 2

It is thought that it would be under the 1

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't forget the edge. Maybe there will be a wrong collar mule.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

Interesting observation. :)

The current 'product page' for 21EAN appears to show the missing reed in both positions.

Image #1 - missing reed under the third digit (i.e., 2021).

Image #3 - missing reed under the fourth digit (i.e., 2021).

Link: https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-eagle-2021-one-ounce-silver-proof-coin-21EAN.html

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking about that when it was first announced. It would be nice to see something like the
    2008 silver eagles with the reverse of 2007.. before when coinfacts used to show more coin images
    there was one graded and super toned…….I always wanted that one!

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:
    Great resolution photos.
    I will save this post for future reference.
    Thanks
    Wayne

Agreed.

Probable Mint source for images is here.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the new Liberty gold design it seems like she lost her right foot.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2021 12:15PM

Someone posted this on a Facebook group today. I see two Type I obverses.

• Options

Type 1 & Type 1

Good eye

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2021 9:47AM

with this many Eagle die varieties in 2021 and the number of change outs mid year I would not be surprised to see a T1/T2 mule, especially in silver. At least two ASEs mules are likely. Due to the massive volume of bullion eagles they are more likely to see a die change out error (mule).

I suspect we may see the missing reed a decimal place to the right or the left and it will likely be accepted as normal.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    tahbb143tahbb143 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

@MsMorrisine said:

The current 'product page' for 21EAN appears to show the missing reed in both positions.

Link: https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-eagle-2021-one-ounce-silver-proof-coin-21EAN.html

This is fascinating.

If the mint has the ability to very specifically place a collar element like this, why is it that collar elements on small dollars is all over the place (radial placement, orientation, etc)?

Or does the small dollar collar element madness tell us that this gap-tooth reeding is bound to be a bit all over the place?

• Options

look for the missing reed to be an acceptable non-error as long as it falls near the center of the date. Consider it a minor rotational issue that does not deserve much fanfare until it appears beyond the location of the date.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good point. Would be cool.

• Options

@tahbb143 said:

If the mint has the ability to very specifically place a collar element like this, why is it that collar elements on small dollars is all over the place (radial placement, orientation, etc)?

Or does the small dollar collar element madness tell us that this gap-tooth reeding is bound to be a bit all over the place?

Most likely during die/collar alignment the collar is "eyeballed" into position thus explaining what the mint obviously considers minor misplacement acceptable.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    look for the missing reed to be an acceptable non-error as long as it falls near the center of the date. Consider it a minor rotational issue that does not deserve much fanfare until it appears beyond the location of the date.

Someone will probably hype the hell out of it anyhow.

• Options

@koynekwest said:

@derryb said:

Someone will probably hype the hell out of it anyhow.

and someone will fall for it and pay moon money.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's true, too.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tahbb143 said:

@MetroD said:

@MsMorrisine said:

This is fascinating.

If you're talking about business strike dollar coin edge lettering, the process results in random radial placement and orientation, as the lettering is applied after striking.

Proofs have the edge lettering in the collar, but I have no idea how much variation, if any, exists.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well with all of the so called Quality Control - there shouldn't be - BUT money is to be made somehow..............

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2021 2:36AM

The biggest difference in the two types of AGE's is the placement of the 50 obverse stars. The Type I has four stars on the rock like the original Saint-Gaudens double eagle. The Type II AGE doesn't have any stars on the rock. Also, the placement of the designer's initials on the two types is different.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the great pictures...This deserves further study. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    On the new Liberty gold design it seems like she lost her right foot.

That is from the original saint

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    The biggest difference in the two types of AGE's is the placement of the 50 obverse stars. The Type I has four stars on the rock like the original Saint-Gaudens double eagle. The Type II AGE doesn't have any stars on the rock. Also, the placement of the designer's initials on the two types is different.

I would have loved to seen the original font used from 1907-1933 on the type 2 age. It's unfortunate the mint didn't do that.

• Options
    tahbb143tahbb143 Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@tahbb143 said:

@MetroD said:

@MsMorrisine said:

This is fascinating.

If you're talking about business strike dollar coin edge lettering, the process results in random radial placement and orientation, as the lettering is applied after striking.

Proofs have the edge lettering in the collar, but I have no idea how much variation, if any, exists.

Thanks.

• Options
    edited September 6, 2021 12:49PM

@tahbb143 said:

Variation (up to 359%) is dictated by the placement of the collar which is independent of the placement of the dies. The question is how much variation does the mint find acceptable and at what point, if any, the TPGs begin to recognize it as a notable rotational error on the slab label.

• Options
    MrScienceMrScience Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Very interesting discovery! Has anyone else found any mules among the 2021 Eagles? I have not had a chance to look for any....

• Options

@tahbb143 said:

@JBK said:

@tahbb143 said:

@MetroD said:

@MsMorrisine said:

This is fascinating.

Thanks.

https://www.coinworld.com/videos/monday-morning-brief-oct-3-2016.html

Then using a 20th century version of a Castaing-type machine like that used during the 18th and 19th centuries to deter counterfeiting, incuse edge lettering was imparted over the reeded edge without crushing the reed details.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file