Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Show your Discoveries and First Reported Coins

LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 3, 2021 7:26PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here is a sample of my vam discoveries

2011 discovery in pcgs ms65 1879-P_VAM-73A from a special ebay was running for 10% off a purchase via the ebay app. got a good deal and the 10% and it turned out to be a discovery. cha cha cha ching

2013 discovery raw 1881-O_VAM-1J from B&M and turned out to be a new "overpolished" rev with a different mm position. very odd.

2014 discovery 1923-D_VAM-1B1 raw that has nice obv and rev breaks but discovered for the rev.

2014 Discovery raw 1922-D_VAM-2BS that has a nice retained cud with other breaks.

2015 discovery raw 1880-P_VAM-1G with a very neat crumbled obverse. found 2 the same day from a canvas bag of morgans that was handed me.

2016 discovery 1890-S_VAM-1J that has nice connecting breaks on rev that stem from a radial break and a couple in the wreath.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Comments

• Options

wow

all impressive pieces!

@keyman64
    haven't we discussed this piece previously?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    wow

all impressive pieces!

@keyman64
    haven't we discussed this piece previously?

Probably a couple of times. Still no clear path of what to do with it to get it into a discovery holder. I’m open to suggestions.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

@keyman64 said:
    Probably a couple of times. Still no clear path of what to do with it to get it into a discovery holder. I’m open to suggestions.

do you have any documentation from some official organization? i dont recall the other thread(s), so lets do it fresh. (if no documentation, how do you know it is new?)

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@keyman64 said:

do you have any documentation from some official organization? i dont recall the other thread(s), so lets do it fresh. (if no documentation, how do you know it is new?)

Just from conversations with Barber peeps at FUN and emails with Wexler since he authored a book on Barber Dime varieties. I think it was Wexler, pretty sure. No real documentation because no one seems to offer it for Barber Dimes if I recall. And if I got documentation, would the TPG accept it? I called ANACS and they told me who they accept documentation from but none of those people offer documentation for Barber Dimes as I recall. I’d prefer PCGS and I called them but the situation was similar or it has to be published in a book etc and they need documentation but from who that does Barber Dimes? It’s like a viscous circle. TPGs could offer a service like this to expand and benefit the hobby where they coordinate with different experts/authors etc but they don’t. I’m almost tempted to spend it. I’ve had this thing for 6-7 years now.

Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

CONECA doesn’t do Barber Dimes either if I recall.

• Options

@keyman64 said:
    Just from conversations with Barber peeps at FUN and emails with Wexler since he authored a book on Barber Dime varieties. I think it was Wexler, pretty sure. No real documentation because no one seems to offer it for Barber Dimes if I recall. And if I got documentation, would the TPG accept it? I called ANACS and they told me who they accept documentation from but none of those people offer documentation for Barber Dimes as I recall. I’d prefer PCGS and I called them but the situation was similar or it has to be published in a book etc and they need documentation but from who that does Barber Dimes? It’s like a viscous circle. TPGs could offer a service like this to expand and benefit the hobby where they coordinate with different experts/authors etc but they don’t. I’m almost tempted to spend it. I’ve had this thing for 6-7 years now.

first thing is to find some sort of official book/listing/website etc. someone has to be doing it for barbers as they are simply too popular of a series to not have been/being studied in-depth.

haven't really done much in the way of varieties with them but i've never not been able to get something i think is new to a person to at least say yes or no. so the answer is out there. could be easy, could be very hard.

variety vista has a list of attributers (had?) that i recall from years ago for stuff that wiles didn't mess with. perhaps your next visit would be the coneca forums.

i don't ask rhetorically; how bad do you want it?

perhaps your persistence will pave the way for you to get more listed and for others to follow. i have for sure tramped through some crazy woods and choppy waters to have found a few dozen discoveries across several series.

unfortunately, someone here probably has the answer but the answers aren't always given, so get your axe and boat my friend...

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Variety Vista still has the name of the first to report a variety in the listing for that variety.

• Options

It has been a few years since I have made attempts. I could certainly retrace my steps and try again. How bad do I want it? It’s a common date Barber Dime in VF. I honestly can’t get too excited over it but it is cool. The variety is crystal clear and photographs great. If it were a Mercury Dime, I’d be a lot more excited. ;)

• Options
    edited July 3, 2021 9:46PM

@keyman64 said:
    It has been a few years since I have made attempts. I could certainly retrace my steps and try again. How bad do I want it? It’s a common date Barber Dime in VF. I honestly can’t get too excited over it but it is cool. The variety is crystal clear and photographs great. If it were a Mercury Dime, I’d be a lot more excited. ;)

have you been here? or here

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@keyman64 said:

have you been here? or here

No, but I have talked to BCS at FUN shows where they had indicated that they had never seen it before. I’ll reach out to them via email and send photos to see what they have to say these days. Thanks.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DNADave said:
    This is a trial strike of the first ( and rejected) design for the camp David peace summit counterstamp. Notice the devices are incuse. The first time I showed it on this forum even mr Wacks was unuaware that it was out there.

Wow! What an awesome find! Congrats :+1:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting thread. I have no discovery pieces, but perhaps one day, looking through change or a roll of coins, I will get lucky. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    I did not discover this variety coin, although I have the only one attributed through PCGS;

PUP: the flag of the 1 within the shield lines, below the R of LIBERTY.

Any idea on what caused that? It's a head scratcher for me?

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pmh1nic said:

@oih82w8 said:
    I did not discover this variety coin, although I have the only one attributed through PCGS;

PUP: the flag of the 1 within the shield lines, below the R of LIBERTY.

Any idea on what caused that? It's a head scratcher for me?

Probably "Shakes" the date setter got ahold of the date punches.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@oih82w8 said:

@pmh1nic said:

Probably "Shakes" the date setter got ahold of the date punches.

that is pretty funny, hopefully that was your intent.

for anyone that hasn't used date /letter punches, especially ones small enough for small denomination coins, it is quite a challenge to accurately line them up in all regards (up/down, depths, tilt etc, granted when i used them in property management for keys and whatnot, i wasn't using a loupe handheld or helmet held which should make it a bit easier but also, i imagine conditions in 1887 were a bit tougher than in my time. :)

what boggles my mind now i think about it, with all their ingenuity, why in the world would the not make some simple device to hold and line up a punch above a die and then punch letters/dates etc.

obviously numismatics would have been far less interesting but it makes me wonder.

fantastic additions to this thread everyone, really.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am listed in some places as the first to report the second known separated mintmark variety on the 1956-D cent, CONECA RPM-018. I gave my examples to John Wexler, while another collector had found an earlier die state and sent his to Ken Potter.

I also re-discovered a nice 1972 Kennedy Half DDO which was listed in Variety Vista but had never been examined by anyone in the club, that also went through John Wexler. John wrote both coins up in his Coin World column at the time, if I can find my copies I'll add pics to the thread.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

mighty fine numismatic scholarship here!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    @rmpsrpms
    that looks larger than the 54-s!

• Options
    Robot1010Robot1010 Posts: 173 ✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2021 5:24AM

Probably too modern for most but not everyday you see an NGC discovery coin. Can't figure out why the American Memorial Park and War In The Pacific didn't get the V75. Can someone please explain that. Would have been nice to see V75 on those

• Options

@Robot1010 said:
    Probably too modern for most but not everyday you see an NGC discovery coin. Can't figure out why the American Memorial Park and War In The Pacific didn't get the V75. Can someone please explain that

i may be off base but iirc, the covid-19 REALLY messed a lot of things up across the globe and the making/release of some of our coinage was no exception. if you dig deep, you will find a lot of inconsistency and chaos as people struggled and scrambled to get footing.

there are a couple of threads (at least) tracking the making/release of these types of quarters and nearly a day-to-day tracking of even the smallest amount of new information from a few sources.

• Options

20 million W quarters. This may go on for a bit

• Options
    edited July 27, 2021 5:19AM

2020 W quarter no V75? That could be the next amazing discovery coin. Maybe there's a transitional error or something else interesting. Possible but not likely with the low mintage but something to look out for

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file