Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

UPDATE: PCGS grade back. 1831 Bust Dime (probably not a proof?)

stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 3, 2022 12:29AM in U.S. Coin Forum

EDIT: PCGS MS64. No PL, no PF.

Well, we all watched the thrilling saga unfold for @Rexford 's 1830 Bust half (thanks for taking us along for the ride).

I come to you now with the second installment, albeit with this coin I am fairly certain it is not a proof, but wanted to share the journey of anyway.

The coin is an 1831 Bust Dime, JR-1. The only other coin of this variety that is designated proof (by both PCGS and NGC) is this example: Link.

The fact that it is fully Cameo already gives me pause about the coin that I recently acquired.
Interestingly, my piece is better struck in some areas (eagle's right claw) and more weakly struck in others (some of Liberty's hair curls)

The coin is fully PL in the fields, but not particularly PL in "LIBERTY", and is only PL in the "UM" portion of "E PLURIBUS UNUM". It is fully reflective in the fields in the shield on the reverse. The coin also has substantial luster, despite the prooflike-ness of the fields.

The rims are well-squared, although looking at the HA piece, it appears that the true proof is squared in a very different manner. The reverse does exhibit the "pie crimped" rim on the top half that seems to be ubiquitous on proofs of this era (for smaller denoms).

Videos of the coin:
Link
Obverse
Reverse

And obligatory photos:

Comments

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a gorgeous example! I don't think I see it as a proof (although admittedly, this is not an area I have much expertise in), but that is a very attractive Bust Dime! <3

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the coin but I dont think its a proof.

Easton Collection
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, I vote business strike based on the rims.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous coin. Is there a cool backstory surrounding it’s acquisition?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin, though I believe it is a business strike, not a proof. Good videos and pictures. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited July 2, 2021 11:15AM

Thanks all for the compliments!
    @Wahoo554 nothing particularly special, just an eBay purchase with moderate hopes that I had uncovered a new proof piece, but alas, not to be this time around :)

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin but probably not a proof.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my series but the obverse has a surreal look about it. And while it may not be a proof. the coin still has a special quality about it. I wonder if there are other known PL examples that have in fact been graded PL by either PCGS or NGC. I don't know nor did I check, but is this the coin that creates the possibility of such a designation? I suspect there are others here that would do a better job handicapping that possibility than me.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stealer, does the hair band around the letters LIBERTY look PL? How about the metal between the stripes on the shield? tough on such a small coin but early proofs often have that characteristic vs regular strikes, as I understand it.

• Options
    edited July 2, 2021 5:38PM

@kaz

I don't see anything around LIBERTY (in the letters or the band) that is PL.
    On the reverse, "UNUM" is fully PL ("UM" in particular), but none of the other letters. The fields in the shield are fully PL, but I have seen this characteristic on many of the other 1831 10C designated as PL.

Here is another video of the coin (better cropped than the last): Link

@coinkat there are a handful at NGC! The two that have traded on HA (both NGC 64PL) are very PL, but otherwise unremarkable in strike (no squared rims).

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing your in hand observations and the video; proof or not, that's a great looking coin!

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Business strike... Also not PL as suggested by another poster.

• Options

Came back from PCGS as MS64, not PL, not PF. Such is life! :smile:

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stealer said:
    Came back from PCGS as MS64, not PL, not PF. Such is life! :smile:

you don't knock one outta the park w/o swinging a few times but based on your picks, you know that one but i support the effort all the same. we all need it from time to time. besides, whom doesn'[t like taking chances with beauties like this. heck even when you miss you score. ;)

if you get a stack of books, lay your camera flat with the camera sticking out a bit and then move the light and/or coin around while watching the screen, you can turn up some pretty nice shots head-on or at a slight angle to show toning.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

it looks very nice

how did they make proof coins back then? did they make then when ordered? pcgs estimate is 20 made.

are you going to try at NGC? the rims look square, the stars are full - not much mirror from picture, but great detail

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stealer said:

your eyes it seem, may be right on track. since proof dies, especially pre-civil war, is one of the most challenging areas having struck business strike coinage as well, will yield coins that pass nearly all tests, including die markers. one of the BS on CF obviously has proof-like surfaces. noted in image.

case-in-point.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@davewesen said:
    it looks very nice

how did they make proof coins back then? did they make then when ordered? pcgs estimate is 20 made.

are you going to try at NGC? the rims look square, the stars are full - not much mirror from picture, but great detail

Off to CAC for the time being. I'd think about trying at NGC for the PL designation at some point, but I think it's a forgone conclusion that it is not a proof given that JD has looked at it :smile:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file