Home Sports Talk
Options

U. F. O. What are they?

As a young child traveling from Georgia to South Carolina. My father , Mother and I witnessed something that just didn't exist lol. We were driving through Macon Georgia and Seen a object in broad daylight , hmm bout 75 ft in the air. This was 1981. Soo many people were pulled off the side of the highway in shock. It was silver, about 3 super bright lights , black on bottom. I'd say about 25 ft in length. Maybe my question is, or should be .... Why not just land and say hello?
I've seen 2 in my life. It wasn't nothing we have That I know of. Have any of you witnessed UFO's? Would love to hear about it . Can they grade cards faster?

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2021 4:56AM

I have never witnessed a UFO, but I have been camping in the woods late at night and heard sasquatch off in the distance doing things, if I had to guess, I would say they were looking for food, possibly picking berries. This was at night time in the mountains of Colorado, and I know they were sasquatch because I heard footsteps.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to see one. Never have though, I have a hard time believing if anything shown on the internet or news is real or photoshopped.

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all the HiTech equipment and "zoom cameras", ever ask yourself why "ALL" the pictures of UFO's are blurry?......Hmmmm?

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just google Aurora, Texas UFO. No publicity. No fanfare. Just a crash of a flying machine in 1897, years before the Wright Brothers. Yeah we’re alone in the universe.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2021 10:30AM

These are true comments lol. You know, maybe I was lucky to see one. But I'll be honest....these pics recently are very poor lol. I truly wish some of you could have seen it. I'll never forget it. Just boggles my mind . Our we alone? I believe yes and No. Yes being... I don't see creatures millions of light yrs away golfing, taking a walk in the park, political conventions, etc.
    I'm a believer in God Soo...... Are they Angels or Demons? And for the record... If you are Athiest..... I don't hate you lol..... I feel as sorry for you,as you do me 😂

• Options
    edited July 1, 2021 10:34AM

@2dueces said:
    Just google Aurora, Texas UFO. No publicity. No fanfare. Just a crash of a flying machine in 1897, years before the Wright Brothers. Yeah we’re alone in the universe.

I remember that story well. Supposed to be an unmarked grave of an Alien creature around. But can't find it. Yes....that was a Amazing story!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I have never witnessed a UFO, but I have been camping in the woods late at night and heard sasquatch off in the distance doing things, if I had to guess, I would say they were looking for food, possibly picking berries. This was at night time in the mountains of Colorado, and I know they were sasquatch because I heard footsteps.

Lol, those were Apache indians. I'm 25 percent certain.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always had a theory about UFOs that if a civilization is so far advanced that it could visit planet earth, by then they would have lost the desire to do it.

So sorry to say no, that aliens from other planets have never visited planet earth, and they never will. Besides the physical barrier of the speed of light combined with the vast distances, also prevents this from happening.

So while yes overall, the universe is teaming with life, that life will never visit each other, and it's probably for the best.

• Options

@stevek said:
    I've always had a theory about UFOs that if a civilization is so far advanced that it could visit planet earth, by then they would have lost the desire to do it.

So sorry to say no, that aliens from other planets have never visited planet earth, and they never will. Besides the physical barrier of the speed of light combined with the vast distances, also prevents this from happening.

So while yes overall, the universe is teaming with life, that life will never visit each other, and it's probably for the best.

That's a great ideology! Lol, and we don't know anything about our own ocean lol. Smh.... Wanna go to Mars and stuff 😂

• Options

I watched a movie called Interstellar recently and it had me baffled. The main character is played by Matthew McConoughy and he has to travel through space and because of the weird time travel stuff, when he gets back to earth his daughter is like 90 years old and he's basically the same age as when he left. It is a weird movie that I still don't completely understand.

• Options

@Historicalwood71 said:

@stevek said:

That's a great ideology! Lol, and we don't know anything about our own ocean lol. Smh.... Wanna go to Mars and stuff 😂

When i stated "life", i basically meant UFO type of life. It's entirely possible that further exploration of Mars and other planets and moons in our solar system, may very well find various forms of life.

Of course that would be a front page news story when it happens. But it wouldn't surprise me at all. We are so barely in the infancy of space exploration. The life, including intelligent life, is most certainly out there. :)

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

One summer night (hey! That's the title of one of my FAVORITE songs!) around 1970/71? I saw the most amazing thing in the sky ever. A gigantic huge really big fireball I think traveling North to South. It was up there for a long, long time. It looked like it was just a few thousand feet up. Later on I read that it was space junk over Colorado. I was in Southern California. I'll never forget it!

• Options
    edited July 1, 2021 12:27PM

@stevek said:

We are so barely in the infancy of space exploration. The life, including intelligent life, is most certainly out there. :)

I would say; less then infancy, much less. Probably more like "barely" conceived.

If there is intelligent life out there and assuming they have invented radio, it will take a very very long time for us to communicate with each other.

The first actual radio (here) was invented when?.....1895 by Marconi? So the first actual radio signal was transmitted about the same time, right? What's that?....120 something years ago? So that signal left the earth 120 years ago, traveling the speed of light out into space. That very first signal is still traveling.. Which is now 120 light years from earth....right? That's barely out our backdoor!

Scientists say there "could" be intelligent life in other galaxies and solar systems.....not hundreds not thousands not millions not billions, but trillions of light years from earth. Let that sink in a minute! ;)

• Options
    edited July 1, 2021 12:35PM

I have to get this in before this thread gets closed down. About 15 years ago I was parked outside a motel in Central Missouri. Right on the main Interstate. The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant was inside the office. I looked up and a stealth bomber was hovering motionless above. It was so close that I could see the rivits in a square side panel on it. THEN......I looked down for just a nano-second. When I looked back up......it had vanished! Everyone asks me what I was smoking. I wasn't. It happened.

P.S. I don't believe in UFO's.

• Options
    edited July 1, 2021 12:39PM

SETI ( Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence ) has these satellites set up I believe in California, and the satellites are supposed to pick up signals if anyone out there ever tries to contact us.

• Options
    edited July 1, 2021 12:50PM

If you live in a rural area in Southern California that is not too far from the coast sometimes you get treated to the most amazing night time frightening sky when missile testing is happening at Vandenberg AFB. I hope I never see the real thing. It would be the last thing I see.

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    I have to get this in before this thread gets closed down.

And why would this thread get closed down? Now UFO's are to political?

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    SETI ( Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence ) has these satellites set up I believe in California, and the satellites are supposed to pick up signals if anyone out there ever tries to contact us.

There's been nothing yet.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

my mom's side of the family -- multiple generations -- is from Eastern New Mexico, not far from Roswell. i distinctly remember this topic being broached whenever i visited in my youth, and the word "cover-up" was often heard.

http://plainshumanities.unl.edu/encyclopedia/doc/egp.ii.052

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

There's been nothing yet.

Yet Steve. Yet.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USSID17 said:

@Hydrant said:

i think he’s throwing a fit and aiming for payback since op pretty much had his “one actor” thread locked down. very immature if you ask me. especially from one promising some big breaking news story that never came to fruition.

• Options

@USSID17 said:

@stevek said:

We are so barely in the infancy of space exploration. The life, including intelligent life, is most certainly out there. :)

I would say; less then infancy, much less. Probably more like "barely" conceived.

If there is intelligent life out there and assuming they have invented radio, it will take a very very long time for us to communicate with each other.

The first actual radio (here) was invented when?.....1895 by Marconi? So the first actual radio signal was transmitted about the same time, right? What's that?....120 something years ago? So that signal left the earth 120 years ago, traveling the speed of light out into space. That very first signal is still traveling.. Which is now 120 light years from earth....right? That's barely out our backdoor!

Scientists say there "could" be intelligent life in other galaxies and solar systems.....not hundreds not thousands not millions not billions, but trillions of light years from earth. Let that sink in a minute! ;)

And of course if a distant civilization does one day pickup the signal, they either won't respond to it, or if they do respond, it would take all that time again for us to receive the response.

Yes, it sure would be interesting to meet some of those science fiction type creatures like from Star Wars or Men in Black. But I'm afraid it will have to stay in the realm of only our imagination. :)

• Options

The advent of most if not virtually all of these alien being sightings coincidentally occurred when Hollywood started making science fiction movies. Well it wasn't a coincidence, it's precisely why it began to happen.

Without doing a dissertation on human behavior, i think many of us may know a family member or friend who has suffered from delusions. Particularly the elderly who sometimes dream about deceased family members, and honestly believe they saw them and then think they are still alive. They would pass a lie detector test because they really do believe it.

Same as those who claim to have seen aliens, and under examination using a polygraph machine, pass the test that they are telling the truth. Then some others may use that as a basis for a factual event that occurred...usually for their own profit in some way with a book or whatever.

Well not only an aged brain can hallucinate like this, but someone under the influence of drugs can experience similar type of memories. Some are simply born with a brain that doesn't quite function properly. Something in their brains, somehow makes them believe that a dream event actually occurred.

The bottom line is that there simply has never been any verified empirical evidence whatsoever in any way shape or form about aliens ever visiting the earth.

Let's tell it like it is about some "government secret" at Roswell. The world's most disciplined monk couldn't keep a secret about a real genuine alien from outer space. No human being on the planet wouldn't spill the beans about something that juicy. LOL

• Options

The universe is 14.5 billion years old. We are but a nano second in time. Imagine a civilization 1 million years old, 10 million, 1 billion. We went from manned flight , the Wright Brothers, to landing a man on the moon in 60 years! 60 years. So yes we’ve been visited for millions of years. Think of this place as some kids science project.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

Let's tell it like it is about some "government secret" at Roswell. The world's most disciplined monk couldn't keep a secret about a real genuine alien from outer space. No human being on the planet wouldn't spill the beans about something that juicy. LOL

hey i didn't say what kind of cover-up. that article was just one theory. there are many others. in the 90s (yes, decades later) the government finally came out and said it was a nuclear testing balloon that was part of a top-secret Air Force project. and the bodies were crash-test dummies used for parachute tests.

but honestly, that explanation is rather mundane. it's a lot more fun to suggest that it was a full-blown concealment with alien corpses scattered all over the New Mexico desert, is it not? :p

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@stevek said:

hey i didn't say what kind of cover-up. that article was just one theory. there are many others. in the 90s (yes, decades later) the government finally came out and said it was a nuclear testing balloon that was part of a top-secret Air Force project. and the bodies were crash-test dummies used for parachute tests.

but honestly, that explanation is rather mundane. it's a lot more fun to suggest that it was a full-blown concealment with alien corpses scattered all over the New Mexico desert, is it not? :p

<<< it's a lot more fun to suggest that it was a full-blown concealment with alien corpses scattered all over the New Mexico desert, is it not? >>>

But of course. I happen to like the genre of science fiction movies. :)

• Options

@2dueces said:
    The universe is 14.5 billion years old. We are but a nano second in time. Imagine a civilization 1 million years old, 10 million, 1 billion. We went from manned flight , the Wright Brothers, to landing a man on the moon in 60 years! 60 years. So yes we’ve been visited for millions of years. Think of this place as some kids science project.

Perhaps they met a Tyrannosaurus Rex, it frightened the living chit out of them, and they decided never to return. ;)

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won't go into any detail on the experiences I've personally had on the subject and I've looked
    into the Roswell case and many other UFO cases fairly extensively.
    This is my straight forward take on Roswell.

Mack Brazell came upon some strange debris in a pasture. Didn't know what it was, called the nearby
    Air force base. Jesse Marcel, former intelligence officer in WW2 came out to investigate.
    Picked up some samples of the material, thought it so strange he stopped at his house to show it to his
    wife and boy before returning to the base. Supposedly some of the material looked like tin foil but you couldn't
    cut it, tear it, drill a hole in it or damage it in any way. If you crumpled it up in your hand and then released
    it it would go back to its original shape. Next day Roswell newspaper reported a UFO had been discovered
    and recovered by the military. Day after that came the retraction, just a weather balloon.
    Question. Were officers at an Air force base in 1947, two years after WW2 ended, so incompetent
    that they couldn't tell a UFO from a weather balloon?
    If your answer to that question is yes, then another question? How did we win WW2?
    If your answer was no, then that was a UFO they recovered.

Sometimes all it takes is common sense to tell you the correct answer, strange as that answer may seem.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

@doubledragon said:
    I watched a movie called Interstellar recently and it had me baffled. The main character is played by Matthew McConoughy and he has to travel through space and because of the weird time travel stuff, when he gets back to earth his daughter is like 90 years old and he's basically the same age as when he left. It is a weird movie that I still don't completely understand.

I didn't get that movie illusion with Leonardo DiCaprio. Turned it off not even halfway lol.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

@stevek said:

Ruler of the Galaxies,
    the only problem with the crash test dummies is those tests didn't happen until long after 1947.
    Regardless, it appears the UFO topic is reaching a head, or boiling point, and the government, or military, may
    have no choice except to start releasing its long held secret information on the topic.
    And if anyone doesn't believe the military, or some faction of the military, knows a lot more than
    they are telling us, then you simply have your head buried in the sand.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

Google Missouri UFO 1941. One of the more interesting cases.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

@stevek said:
    The advent of most if not virtually all of these alien being sightings coincidentally occurred when Hollywood started making science fiction movies. Well it wasn't a coincidence, it's precisely why it began to happen.

Without doing a dissertation on human behavior, i think many of us may know a family member or friend who has suffered from delusions. Particularly the elderly who sometimes dream about deceased family members, and honestly believe they saw them and then think they are still alive. They would pass a lie detector test because they really do believe it.

Same as those who claim to have seen aliens, and under examination using a polygraph machine, pass the test that they are telling the truth. Then some others may use that as a basis for a factual event that occurred...usually for their own profit in some way with a book or whatever.

Well not only an aged brain can hallucinate like this, but someone under the influence of drugs can experience similar type of memories. Some are simply born with a brain that doesn't quite function properly. Something in their brains, somehow makes them believe that a dream event actually occurred.

The bottom line is that there simply has never been any verified empirical evidence whatsoever in any way shape or form about aliens ever visiting the earth.

As usual Steve instead of addressing anything specific goes with the generalized 'people are crazy' explanation.
    Steve, question?
    The recently released videos' of air force pilots locking on to alleged UFO's. Then witnessing these objects
    perform astounding aerial maneuvers and filming these maneuvers, including flying at speeds that our aircraft
    are not capable of and flying into the ocean without slowing down. What are these objects?
    And keep in mind the people are crazy explanation would make absolutely no sense here.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

The Germans during the end of WW2 were far ahead of everyone else as far as rocket science. If Hitler wasn't such an anti-semitic monster, and the Jewish scientists would have stayed in Germany rather than emigrating to the US before the war, it's arguable that Hitler could have won the war. Hitler would have had the rockets and very possibly nuclear weapons on them.

After the war, the US expeditiously grabbed all the blueprints and models of the German rocket technology and brought it to the United States. Where Jewish and American scientists made the best of it to design weapons for US defense.

Cut to 1947, Germany was no longer our enemy - it was the Soviet Union. We had the bomb and we knew the Soviets were tirelessly working on it, in which they finally denotated their first successful test in 1949. It was an arms race which still exists to this day.

So in my opinion which i believe is fact, the military covers up things not because of any silly nonsense about UFOs, but to make sure their successes and failures are kept away from the prying eyes of Russian spies, and also Chinese spies.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2021 7:10PM

My only issue with @stevek dissertations in regards to Aliens that I have and remain to be very skeptical of is him saying they can’t because of distance and or speed of light? It’s absurd to assume that if there are Aliens that they wouldn’t have the technology to do so, I’m not knocking you Steve as I respect your views but this part of it I disagree with wholeheartedly. Aliens could potentially be a thousand times smarter than the top minds on earth with capabilities that we wouldn’t be able to reason with. I do agree 100% that it’s probably best if we don’t interact though

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USSID17 said:
    With all the HiTech equipment and "zoom cameras", ever ask yourself why "ALL" the pictures of UFO's are blurry?......Hmmmm?

They are using the same cameras as they use to photograph Bigfoot.......

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@perkdog said:
    My only issue with @stevek dissertations in regards to Aliens that I have and remain to be very skeptical of is him saying they can’t because of distance and or speed of light? It’s absurd to assume that if there are Aliens that they wouldn’t have the technology to do so, I’m not knocking you Steve as I respect your views but this part of it I disagree with wholeheartedly. Aliens could potentially be a thousand times smarter than the top minds on earth with capabilities that we wouldn’t be able to reason with. I do agree 100% that it’s probably best if we don’t interact though

Well from what it appears at this time, the laws of physics are basically constant throughout the universe. Perhaps depending on the location of a particular planet, I think it's possible the laws of physics could vary somewhat. But overall the intractable problem of space travel remains the same.

I agree that an advanced civilization would be so much smarter than any of us. However the laws of physics would still apply to them such as the speed of light.

• Options

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

As usual Steve instead of addressing anything specific goes with the generalized 'people are crazy' explanation.
    Steve, question?
    The recently released videos' of air force pilots locking on to alleged UFO's. Then witnessing these objects
    perform astounding aerial maneuvers and filming these maneuvers, including flying at speeds that our aircraft
    are not capable of and flying into the ocean without slowing down. What are these objects?
    And keep in mind the people are crazy explanation would make absolutely no sense here.

That's an easy one to answer. It was likely different segments of our armed forces not properly communicating with each other as far as test experiments.

As far as crazy, yes i think someone who believes that what they dreamed is real, does have at least a touch of "crazy" in them, sorry to say.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I watched a movie called Interstellar recently and it had me baffled.

Yeah them now a days movies don't make sense, - I like them older series programs that movies were made off of.....Although in "Lost in Space" movie I just couldn't get past Matt LeBlanc being stupid in "Friends"

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@USSID17 said:

Yea, who walks in the exact same manner as a guy in a gorilla suit would walk. LOL

• Options

@stevek said:

@Steven59 said:

@USSID17 said:

Yea, who walks in the exact same manner as a guy in a gorilla suit would walk. LOL

Well, you obviously never saw me going for a bowl of ice cream at Midnight - LOL!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    edited July 1, 2021 7:43PM

@USSID17 said:

@Hydrant said:

No, just not sports related. This forum ROCKS! We're going where no man has ever gone before!

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@USSID17 said:

@Hydrant said:

No, just not sports related. This forum ROCKS! We're going where no man has ever gone before!

But it got me to wondering if those advanced civilizations know how many home runs Mickey Mantle hit?

Maybe they're not as smart as we think? 🤔

• Options
    edited July 1, 2021 9:52PM

@stevek said:
    But it got me to wondering if those advanced civilizations know how many home runs Mickey Mantle hit?

536 -
    but he didn't have a big head...........like Mr Bonds

• Options

Not until i see PSA certified alien autographs on Ebay, will i believe they have visited our planet.

• Options

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

Perhaps they met a Tyrannosaurus Rex, it frightened the living chit out of them, and they decided never to return. ;)

Nah. They just bumped an asteroid our way and started over. Humans would have had a hard time existing with Rex chasing him. Haven’t you seen Jurassic Park? 😂

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad I had at least a few sips of my morning coffee before checking into this one...

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

@AFLfan said:
    Glad I had at least a few sips of my morning coffee before checking into this one...

Enjoy 😊!

• Options
    edited July 2, 2021 12:35PM

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

Steve, question?

Well here's something also ...
    My father was in the Navy during Vietnam. He was a watchmen on deck. One night, he just happened to look up on his destroyer. He told me what he saw hoovering 100 ft in the air, a ship BIGGER than the ship he was on lol. Made no sounds! Several lights. He described the lights like RGB lights today. He said it shot straight up in the air from a standstill .... Out of sight! Lol, his buddy seen the same thing. They contacted the commanding officer and he told them..... " Don't you 2 ever say a word, because nobody will believe you!" Lol.
    He's still alive and get this..... When he heard of the Oklahoma seeing the ufo recently.. he lol hard and said..... Now you'll see what we've been seeing.

• Options

@perkdog said:

Imagine looking at another being not from here?? It would shake you to your core. Not in a scary way either. It would uproot everything and everyone! I don't know if people could mentally accept it to be honest.

• Options

@AFLfan said:

Now Todd. You know Lance Alworth was way too good to be just from Houston.

W.C.Fields