Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another 1792 Half Disme is up for auction.

goldengolden Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great Collection has a 1792 Half Disme up for auction this Sunday. It is NGC VG details damaged. The bid is now $5555.00. Any guesses as to final price?

Comments

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

sans a story to go with it............ruh roh

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s pretty damaged

$226,000

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin is of great historic interest, but it's not that rare. There are over 300 survivors.

The trick is to find examples with no damage. These coins were small and are frequently found beaten-up.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

$287,000 then

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks pretty nice for a damaged example. $36,780.95

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

I do not think it will break $20,000. I thought the PCGS FR-2 CAC would not break $30,000 so what do I know.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2021 2:51PM

$35k

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    found used as a shim for a dealer's glass coin show case by a YN.

$312,000 before the juice

:o

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone saw the last one sell and thought they could use that kind of money. I'll be shocked if it makes half what the last one did, put me down for a guess of $40K.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

If any of these numbers are for real, it’s Internet madness.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

I’m making things up

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Fr-2 was acquired by a legitimate lowball collector. Coin World wrote it up. This, on the other hand, is just another low grade, problem half disme. If this one has a reserve it better be under 25k.

• Options

The bid is now $15,055 plus the juice.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    The coin is of great historic interest, but it's not that rare. There are over 300 survivors.

The trick is to find examples with no damage. These coins were small and are frequently found beaten-up.

How many au's and ms' are there?

• Options

PCGS has graded 22 in AU and 19 in MS.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

After looking at PCGS 1792 Half disme's graded, I believe the coin will surpass $50k. Too much bidding going on today with almost 5 days left. I think their will be far more offered if this does sell high. Just an opinion.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

Lets say 74k. I just randomly typed those numbers sso idk.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea what the final bid will be....so much depends on who is bidding....Auctions very often become a personal contest and testosterone takes over. Fun to watch. Cheers, RickO

• Options

It appears, without a so-called story prices realized are without the recent dramatic legs

• Options
    edited July 4, 2021 11:39AM

The price is now $20086 all in. It sells tonight.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

$20K is a reasonable number. $30K is not unreasonable. $50K is unthinkable. This is just old junk. Thos. Jefferson phooey. Not a real coin like an 1938-S 10c PCGS MS68+FB CAC.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

Now at $21186 all in. More than I thought it would be.

• Options

Final price was $25,481.25.

• Options
    edited July 4, 2021 6:59PM

@golden said:

I can find better ways to spend $25K on a rare coin......just sayin'.

• Options

That amount would buy a decent Chain Cent.

• Options

Update,
    I just discovered the story that should have been made available for this subject 1/2 disme.
    This was the heel of Benjamin Franklin's shoe, a cobbler ran out of metals taps and used an already worn available 1/2 disme that he was saving just for this purpose and applied it to Ben's heel in order for Ben to travel to Europe to purchase the Libertad's. ;)

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

@golden said:

Anyone could say the same about any other coin that they hadn’t bought or weren’t planning to buy.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Goldbully said:

@golden said:

Anyone could say the same about any other coin that they hadn’t bought or weren’t planning to buy.

Just call me 'anyone.'

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file