Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Attractive 31-D Merc, second set of pics added

ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 29, 2021 8:35AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Picked this up last week from my LCS. Very happy with it, strike, color, die state are all right up my alley.
Interested to see what some of the GTGs are in here. It is an FB.

Second set of pictures added several posts down.

Collector, occasional seller

Comments

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!
    66/66+ to me

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

67FB

Mr_Spud

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd go with 67FB also.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, congrats. I’d say 66.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking example. I like the touch of color above Liberties cap, and the light color on the obverse.

Clean surfaces, but really can't tell how strong the luster is ... seems a touch muted but that is probably the lighting.

Great pictures BTW!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

A beauty! Looks at least MS66 to me.

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭

63FB

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

66FB

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    AllentramAllentram Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

Still learning the series, guessing 66FB.

• Options
    Morpheus1967Morpheus1967 Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Not seeing the FB? The center bands look smooshed, for lack of a better word, on the left side.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice Merc... first thought was MS65.... Looking more, perhaps 66. Dings on cap and lip of obverse, chatter on rods. Muted luster, but that could be lighting. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very clean and attractive looking, and I appreciate it as a much better date than usually gets posted.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such clean fields and nice strike. I would say 66.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. Looks like a nice strike, and the surfaces are really clean. The luster reminds me of the matte/no cartwheel look I’ve seen on some Jefferson nickels. If the luster is missing, I’d guess it’s a [really neat] 63. If there is luster, I’m a 66+ guesser. Regardless, I like it a lot.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

67 no FB

Gorgeous coin.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

66 but not full bands.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

67+ FB. Very nice.

• Options
    WhitWhit Posts: 316 ✭✭✭

A beautiful specimen. Does the picture do justice to the luster?

Whit
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 67 but not Bands.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

66 no FB

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's certainly a beauty alright. Love that dash of pastel there. I'm agreeing with JeffersonFrog, about the matte finish appearance. Very nice coin, dude. I'd give it a 67. I hope anyway for your case. :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:
    Very nice!
    66/66+ to me

This.

• Options

@Whit said:

Thanks, and not really, it's not a blazing cartwheel like some but it is satin-like and very nice. From my understanding that is indicative of an early die state before the luster was "worn in" on the die. The coin does have the typical bloom in the right reverse field.

• Options

@Whit said:

Here is a set that shows the luster and band separation a little better. I probably should have put them both in the OP

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

66FB

• Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

66+FB

Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not enough separation in the bands for me ... especially if it is a coin with a very high grade.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clear fields, solid strike.

What's not to like?

Solid 65+FB.

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll chime in again as the second set of pictures help portray the luster better (I think). Looks like a solid 66, possible 7 ... and a beautiful example overall ...

... but, although technically split, I don't like the weakness on the left side of the bands, especially on the price escalation that Gem+/Superb examples get in FB.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

Thanks for the input here all. A lot of you got it.

PCGS graded it MS66FB

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it looks great and a I’ve got no problem with the FB. The split is fully there and that’s the point.
    Great pick up.

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

@JJM said:
    66 no FB

This.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@remumc said:
    66+FB

^^This^^

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great coin. Late for the GTG, but I was thinking 67FB.

• Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I imagine it is in a 64 or 65 holder and would regrade 66. Can't tell on FB without seeing in person. Love the coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file