Home U.S. Coin Forum

Colorado Silver . . . .

ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 28, 2021 12:09PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I haven't done a "family photo" until this afternoon. I thought it was high time I grabbed one.

I'm still on the lookout for more examples, and other western state territorial silver. Most of these aren't "vintage" but their the best I can afford.

Post up yours!

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Comments

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only two of the pieces I posted are DC / Moonlight Mint.

The round one is an HK-870 Type IV, there are two 1985 ANA Lesher House Restoration pieces, and one 1993 Victor - City of Mines piece. I don't know much about why the 1993 piece was minted.

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister.... Really nice 'family' of silver. I have a couple of Dan's pieces that interested me, but no other Colorado silver. Cheers, RickO

@Mr_Spud said:
    I have just this one

Sweet Baby Jesus . . . . !

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

I gotta go take a look at the moonlight site now

An overdue resurrection of this thread.

More have arrived. Let's see yours. Any territorial silver will do. Here's one from Montana.

Z

• Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2022 11:45AM

From my first purchase directly from Dan way back in 2006!

I'm glad I picked it up as I've never seen another.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for making this connection between the silver campaign piece I own and that natural landmark.

If it makes you feel any better, I paid a rather outlandish price for that piece in a political items auction. It was no bargain, I will assure you.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud
    One of the nicest toned specimans from world fair I have seen. Congrats.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

That is just stunning.

I have a couple in grading since April, but after seeing this one, I forgot what they are like, but I do know I like yours more.

@Goldminers said:

@Zoins said:

That is just stunning.

I have a couple in grading since April, but after seeing this one, I forgot what they are like, but I do know I like yours more.

Thanks! That's quite a compliment given your collection! I love your Pike's Peak commem above!

This looks quite nice in hand, much lighter than the photos suggest.

I have another one as well in an ATS holder that needs a TrueView :)

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2022 12:56PM

@BillJones said:
    Thank you for making this connection between the silver campaign piece I own and that natural landmark.

If it makes you feel any better, I paid a rather outlandish price for that piece in a political items auction. It was no bargain, I will assure you.

Those kinds of things can sometimes sell for a lot more than you might initially think.

A circa 1940s recast of my Denver 1891 silver ingot badge sold on Heritage Auctions in 2006 for almost $2,000. That recast lacked the upper banner and had no maker's mark on the back:
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/ingots/a/414-2571.s?ic4

edited August 6, 2022 1:00PM

@ZoidMeister said:
    1993 Victor - City of Mines piece. I don't know much about why the 1993 piece was minted.

It was minted for the centennial of of Victor, Colorado as it says 1893-1993 on it.

The following is from VictorColorado.com

https://www.victorcolorado.com/aboutvictor.htm

Victor, Colorado's modern-day treasures are the results of its rich gold rush history. Victor, about 5 miles from Cripple Creek, was platted in 1893. By that time it was already known as the City of Mines because the largest and richest gold mines of the Cripple Creek Mining District were located on Battle Mountain just above Victor.

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

ZOINS, I know yours will never be available.

I really need a silver and brass strike for my coinage archive.

I have a nickel strike pocket piece I bought from Dan just prior to covid show closures & and I have a shiny new nickel strike.

It should have won the 25c design competition.

@Zoins said:
    From my first purchase directly from Dan way back in 2006!

I'm glad I picked it up as I've never seen another.

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:

@Mr_Spud said:
    I have just this one

Sweet Baby Jesus . . . . !

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN

I need one of those . . .

@COCollector said:

I know of only two of these that exist,
    Argus Metals - Boulder, Colorado
    (note the three triangles logo which mimics mountains but also forms the initials AM):

Some other Colorado silver bars:

Golden Analytical made 1-troy-oz die-stamped "art" bars and various sizes and shapes of poured-style 5-oz to 100-oz bars:

Denver Gold & Silver Exchange was a coin shop in downtown Denver and they produced 10-troy-oz bars (that was the only size) circa 1970s. There are two varieties: large "JW" and small "JW". This one shown below is the small "JW". JW stood for Jack Willis, the owner of the establishment. He got caught on the wrong side of speculation in silver futures and then tried dealing cocaine to keep the business afloat. But he got busted for that and the shop folded.

C&S Incorporated in Denver Colorado produced various sizes of poured-style bars such as this one:

Mile High Mint is a relatively new enterprise which I know little about. Here is a 10-troy-oz bar from them:

I do not know the location of Rocky Mountain Mint, but it may have been in Utah. They produced 5-troy-oz to 25-troy-oz bars sheared from silver slabs:

The so-called "Mumey Dollar" (HK-594, produced by numismatist/author Nolie Mumey):

An interesting art round / bullion piece from Rocky Mountain Coin in Denver.

This one's obverse channels the Colorado Century of Progress HK-870.

Z

@dcarr said:
    I know of only two of these that exist,
    Argus Metals - Boulder, Colorado
    (note the three triangles logo which mimics mountains but also forms the initials AM):

edited August 7, 2022 3:20PM

One of my favorites related to Colorado and silver.

Clark Gruber, Denver fantasy piece struck over silver 1808 Irish Bank Token.

I posted this years before finally getting the opportunity to pick it up 7 years after seeing it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file