Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

With so many of us preaching the importance of grading and quality…

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 27, 2021 7:21PM in U.S. Coin Forum

…shouldn’t we at least have a few preaching “value”? And maybe even “numismatic importance”? Well, where are they?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where do you see Value now in numismatics?

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    …shouldn’t we at least have a few preaching “value”? Well, where are they?

We have had a week long discussion of value in the moderns thread.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s what the World & Ancient coin forum is for. Where is the “value” in US?

• Options

@Yorkshireman said:
    Where do you see Value now in numismatics?

That’s another thread for another day.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, wise one, please help me find it.
    I’d love your help building a set.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check out the price changes in $5 Liberty. Tons of increases now showing up as collectors realize the rarity of properly graded and unprocessed scarce dates in an important numismatic series.

There is still value there down the road...

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Value is in the eyes of the beholder and strongly connected to how deep the buyer's pockets are.

The grading standards for coins in the 67 - 70 range minor flaws separate these coins. A spot or two in one location rather than another drops the grade a point which can translate into a huge premium loss based on relatively minor imperfections. An otherwise beautiful coin with a weak strike places a part in the higher grades. An imperfect the size of the dot at the end of this sentence in a prime focal area could men a loss of hundreds or thousands of dollars if it knock a coin down from 69 to 68.

I think if you buy coins up in this stratosphere you need to understand the technical distinctions in these grades and the sliver of difference that makes one coin a $10K coin and another a $200K coin.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well my 2 cents is everything on great collections is through the roof!!

• Options

This is what got me thinking about the subject. More later.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 325 ✭✭✭✭

Aren't there lots people out talking about value in terms of history/numismatic significance? The tend to publish research articles, maintain inventories of more esoteric things (colonials, medals, tokens, trial strikes/spalshers/cliches, documents, etc), and focus less on Registry points.

Chasing condition rarities has never been my thing, though I don't fault people for trying to put collections together that include the best of the best. My take is that certification populations change, grading is subjective, and I don't value single grade points as highly as some other people. That's not to say I don't like attractive decimal coins. If it's nice for the grade and not 100x the price of a coin one point lower, awesome.

I prefer medals, particularly those that have been awarded, and tokens. The stories and variety of designs are appealing. But anything artistically or historically interesting, rare in the absolute sense (some of those Liberty Head fives and tens!), or something that has a neat association (numismatic or otherwise) will do.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2021 9:52AM

There are entire areas of numismatics that are ignored if people focus only on quality. That sentiment is partly driving me to start to learn about and collect some coins from the middle ages.

I don't think you can discuss value without also clarifying what your values are. An XF Franklin set is certanly better value than an UNC Franklin set, you get the same set for a lower price! If you're a set builder, that may very well be a true statement. If you have different values and goals, the opposite may be true. If your goal is to show coins as they were made/intended, then a gem set may be a better value because the XF set doesn't accomplish that at all. If you want to show coins in their best form in the best possible light, then a proof set is probably closer to ideal, and value becomes based on that. If value is only determined by the future selling price of a coin, then that seems like something slightly different from collecting and numismatics.

I always like to remind people that if you buy coins based on what you can sell them for, then you are collecting based on other people's tastes. Their tastes will dictate the prices they will pay. Everyone should strive to collect based on their own taste. If your tastes diverge from others, then consider yourself lucky. You will likely get more for your money.

Topics like this make me wonder: Does a discussion on price ever help the numismatic discourse?

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    This is what got me thinking about the subject. More later.

Yikes!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately when I get the urge to contemplate such matters I usually wait until the urge subsides as it is less stressful than participating in and following a herd mentality.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Define value. It would have to inherently incorporate opportunity cost in some manner - but that’s dependent upon the buyer’s financial circumstances. To some, one more Ferrari for the collection is the same as one more Starbucks coffee to others. I’d imagine they perceive more value in the MS68 WLH than the Ferrari.

• Options
    edited June 28, 2021 11:08AM

Value is, of course, subjective. To me, I think of value as the extent to which a coin will advance the importance of my collection. Not market value, but importance. Then again, the two measures should converge in the long run, and an uncirculated Pine Tree Shilling may ultimately sell for more than an MS 68 1946 Walker. :o

Andy Lustig

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    You can work hard on convention presentation about Charlotte or Dahlonega Mints, and few people will come. If you give it the title, “How to make money with coins,” you will fill the room. The fact is those experts probably won’t give you any answers.

It’s the same reason why all the get rich quick schemes work. People want maximum reward for the least effort. The reality is, in most cases, the speaker charging people to listen to their advice is the only one getting rich.

Personally, I’d love to watch a good presentation on southern gold. :) Especially if there are actual examples to look at and see instead of just photographs. It’s funny, as much as I enjoy coin photography I’m starting to migrate more to requiring to see a coin in hand before I buy.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2021 2:08PM

From BillJones:
    For too many “collectors,” making money trumps every other aspect of the hobby. The whole idea of buying nothing but key dates is a reflection of this. Whatever happened to, “I would like to fill every hole in this album?” What happened to, “What’s the history or an interesting story about this item that I have or might buy?”

Reminds me of the Melbourne coin show. Month after month this part time dealer came, with a beautiful display of Civil War tokens. R5, R6, etc lots of die breaks, original mint red mint red around the devices, little note cards with some info, provenance, etc. Never sold a one of em. Meanwhile 1921 peace dollars and CC Morgans were flying out the door from other dealers’ tables.

Myself, I enjoy owning scarce items where I hope/believe that there will be future demand. Not necessarily to make a profit, but hopefully not lose much, since I’m putting a fair amount of money into them. There are many esoteric things that are interesting and genuinely rare, but finding “the next buyer “ could be problematic.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Grading is mostly about getting what you paid for. Value has more to do with what an accurately graded coin should be worth, relative to all other coins. Which is often a very different thing than the price.

There is usually some explainable reason for both current and historical relative prices, even evaluating within US coinage.

An earlier post used Liberty $5 as an example and it can be equally applied to the QE and eagle. A noticeable proportion are legitimately scarce and a few rare due to the mintages.

Presumably most buyers are type collectors or for the eagle, buying the common dates as bullion substitutes.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I’d love to watch a good presentation on southern gold. :) Especially if there are actual examples to look at and see instead of just photographs. It’s funny, as much as I enjoy coin photography I’m starting to migrate more to requiring to see a coin in hand before I buy.

I would love to speak at the FUN shows, but the guy who runs the education program won't let me.

The one year I did speak at FUN, I had a Power Point presentation on a 1795 date set of U.S. coins. I had to beg the guy to get a slot. I had examples of all the coins from the half cent to the $10 gold piece. I had about 25 people show up. They were very interested in my topic, asked questions and looked at my coins. After it was over, his response was, "See I told you so."

I had article published in the latest FUN Topics about year 238 when there were six Roman Emperors. I am sure that won't cut any ice with him.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

I would love to speak at the FUN shows, but the guy who runs the education program won't let me.

The one year I did speak at FUN, I had a Power Point presentation on a 1795 date set of U.S. coins. I had to beg the guy to get a slot. I had examples of all the coins from the half cent to the $10 gold piece. I had about 25 people show up. They were very interested in my topic, asked questions and looked at my coins. After it was over, his response was, "See I told you so."

I had article published in the latest FUN Topics about year 238 when there were six Roman Emperors. I am sure that won't cut any ice with him.

Some people are just too tied up looking at numbers. They want something impressive to show off. It’s a shame because it trends everything to the banal.

• Options

@WCC said:

@MrEureka said:
    Grading is mostly about getting what you paid for. Value has more to do with what an accurately graded coin should be worth, relative to all other coins. Which is often a very different thing than the price.

There is usually some explainable reason for both current and historical relative prices, even evaluating within US coinage.

An earlier post used Liberty $5 as an example and it can be equally applied to the QE and eagle. A noticeable proportion are legitimately scarce and a few rare due to the mintages.

Presumably most buyers are type collectors or for the eagle, buying the common dates as bullion substitutes.

Sure, there are reasons for everything. But here's an example of what I'm talking about. If you have an R-7 variety of a Capped Bust Half Dollar in XF, it might bring something like 50X what a common variety of the same date would bring. If we're talking Bust Dollars, more like 2X. And if we're talking 1795-1834 gold, people will like at you like you have two heads if you quote them any premium at all. That's because the half dollars are so much heavily collected. (Which is mostly because the common coins are so affordable.) But to someone inclined to collect early coins by die variety, and who doesn't mind that every coin will cost at least 4 figures, the dollars and gold are incredibly good relative value. Maybe not a better investment, but a better value.

Andy Lustig

• Options

And if we're talking 1795-1834 gold, people will like at you like you have two heads if you quote them any premium at all.

Part of that is because you are starting off with that something that has a 5-figure price from the get-go. I have more resources than most collectors. For me it was a huge strain just to get the 12 major type coins that are required to complete the type set. There are two 6-figure coins in that set. Going any further with the collection is simply out of the question. Forget the rare die varieties. I have the book, but even collecting the dates is not financially feasible.

If you have the resources like Harry Bass did, sure, you can do it. But for us mortals, it’s out of the question.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@MrEureka said:

@WCC said:

@MrEureka said:

Sure, there are reasons for everything. But here's an example of what I'm talking about. If you have an R-7 variety of a Capped Bust Half Dollar in XF, it might bring something like 50X what a common variety of the same date would bring. If we're talking Bust Dollars, more like 2X. And if we're talking 1795-1834 gold, people will like at you like you have two heads if you quote them any premium at all. That's because the half dollars are so much heavily collected. (Which is mostly because the common coins are so affordable.) But to someone inclined to collect early coins by die variety, and who doesn't mind that every coin will cost at least 4 figures, the dollars and gold are incredibly good relative value. Maybe not a better investment, but a better value.

I agree with you.

By this line of reasoning, the Spanish colonial series I collect is "dirt cheap". As a collectible, I rate it comparable to flowing, hair and draped bust coinage of equivalent denomination and it's scarcity fits the pattern of the equivalent liberty seated denominations but is usually almost certainly scarcer or much scarcer.

Financially, I don't believe it will do much of anything (somewhat better than average) and if it does exceed my expectations, I won't be able to complete it, assuming the coins exist that I actually want to buy.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simple:

Price is an issue in the absence of value .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MrEureka said:

Was it centered around the importance of grading and quality?

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Followed this thread yesterday and today. Interesting thoughts and viewpoints.

For many, the hobby is only about money and price, not necessarily preservation and value.

For some, it is about competition to obtain the finest examples, or the most complete collections, or maybe both.

For others still, there as many other things as we can pinpoint for why we collect.

All of these ways have some value, to one extent or another. Whether the value matches the price, or has staying power, is another matter entirely.

And what we each perceive as value varies relative to our thoughts and knowledge and intuitions. We may be one of many, or stand alone, whistling in the wind.

I find value in a combination of quality and rarity, supply and historically long-term demand, artistic merit and interesting attributes and stories ... maybe provenance or another matter giving a piece character slightly unlike it's brethren ... especially attractive originality that has not succumb to the pull of greed to improve the appearance or deceive the unknowing.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

@BillJones said:

And if we're talking 1795-1834 gold, people will like at you like you have two heads if you quote them any premium at all.

Part of that is because you are starting off with that something that has a 5-figure price from the get-go. I have more resources than most collectors. For me it was a huge strain just to get the 12 major type coins that are required to complete the type set. There are two 6-figure coins in that set. Going any further with the collection is simply out of the question. Forget the rare die varieties. I have the book, but even collecting the dates is not financially feasible.

If you have the resources like Harry Bass did, sure, you can do it. But for us mortals, it’s out of the question.

Agreed, and your comments are consistent with what I said. Fewer collectors means lower prices, which makes the coins better value for the money.

Try looking at it this way. If you didn't seriously collect early US coins, and if you weren't concerned about resale value, which would you rather have: An R-7 1831 Half Dollar or an 1800 Heraldic Eagle $5 of similar rarity and quality? Not even close, as far as I'm concerned.

Andy Lustig

• Options

@messydesk said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MrEureka said:

Was it centered around the importance of grading and quality?

yes.

• Options

The comments here are still focusing more on "price" rather than the more esoteric idea of "value". The most inexpensive coin could easily be the most valuable.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WCC said:

@MrEureka said:

@WCC said:

@MrEureka said:

I agree with you.

By this line of reasoning, the Spanish colonial series I collect is "dirt cheap". As a collectible, I rate it comparable to flowing, hair and draped bust coinage of equivalent denomination and it's scarcity fits the pattern of the equivalent liberty seated denominations but is usually almost certainly scarcer or much scarcer.

Financially, I don't believe it will do much of anything (somewhat better than average) and if it does exceed my expectations, I won't be able to complete it, assuming the coins exist that I actually want to buy.

There are more billionaires collecting now. Will we see record breaking results like the Pinnacle Collection?

• Options

@BillJones said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BryceM said:
    Well, grading, quality, value, and numismatic importance are all intertwined. If you can't grade, you'll never really understand quality or value.

The problem with any discussion of value is it always ends up focused on price appreciation rather than the actual value of the artifact.

For too many “collectors,” making money trumps every other aspect of the hobby. The whole idea of buying nothing but key dates is a reflection of this. Whatever happened to, “I would like to fill every hole in this album?”

Type collecting replaced date collecting for many. That's been going on for a long time.

What happened to, “What’s the history or an interesting story about this item that I have or might buy?”

A lot of the exonumia posted here falls in to this camp as much history is not as well known as for coins.

You can work hard on convention presentation about Charlotte or Dahlonega Mints, and few people will come. If you give it the title, “How to make money with coins,” you will fill the room. The fact is those experts probably won’t give you any answers.

Maybe you just need sunglasses and a high powered rifle?

• Options

@MrEureka said:
    With so many of us preaching the importance of grading and quality…
    …shouldn’t we at least have a few preaching “value”? And maybe even “numismatic importance”? Well, where are they?

There have been quite a few posts about the value of aa MS69 vs the quality of a MS70, or the inflection point where prices start to increase a lot in lower grades for classics.

• Options

@Zoins, unless you are LeLand Rogers, a type collector from long ago who filled the spaces with key dates or varieties (e.g. the finest known 1806 Small 6, Stems half cent), buying only key dates is not type collecting. I agree with you that type collecting has supplanted date and mint collecting for many, including me, for the most part. From what I have seen from most of these guys who buy nothing but key dates, type collecting has nothing to do with their objectives.

• Options
    edited June 29, 2021 5:01AM

@BillJones said:
    @Zoins, unless you are LeLand Rogers, a type collector from long ago who filled the spaces with key dates or varieties (e.g. the finest known 1806 Small 6, Stems half cent), buying only key dates is not type collecting.

I agree. I was was commenting specifically on the following:

@BillJones said:
    Whatever happened to, “I would like to fill every hole in this album?”

But I agree with you as well, key date collecting isn't like date collecting or type collecting. I will say what one collects isn't necessarily the same as what one's interested in researching.

@BillJones said:
    I agree with you that type collecting has supplanted date and mint collecting for many, including me, for the most part. From what I have seen from most of these guys who buy nothing but key dates, type collecting has nothing to do with their objectives.

• Options

I have also heard of collectors hoarding key dates. I don't know how often it happens but don't see much of a collecting motive behind that.

• Options

I think a lot of this depends on how one defines value.

• Options

@Zoins said:

There are more billionaires collecting now. Will we see record breaking results like the Pinnacle Collection?

Yes, if it persists. I don't think it has much relevance to the coins I collect though; not a high enough collector preference. More like the examples you gave, gold and crown sized coins.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll pass on the sun glasses and high powered rifle.

Seems that the yardsticks that folks use to measure value, numismatic significance and even rarity could stand to be updated... The numismatic world is not as small as it once was.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

all coming from ASIA buyers

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    edited June 29, 2021 6:06AM

@bidask said:

@Zoins said:

all coming from ASIA buyers

It's a good thing they are interested in coins!

With more billionaires collecting coins, it's good to know where they are.

Check this out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_number_of_billionaires

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file