Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My type set 6-28-21

FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 27, 2021 12:17AM in U.S. Coin Forum

My goal is to create a nicely matched, mark free set of original looking coins.
I mean to post them here every year or so but it never happens.
It takes a loooong time to do this.

I like to post them here so that I can see my progress.
It also helps when I find a nice coin to be able to look up this thread and see if it is nicer than the coin I have or if I even have it at all.
It is very difficult to remember every coin that I need so this time I am going to add labels in place of missing coins to aid me in my search.

This set started out as an XF set and there are still quite a few at that level but I have become more interested in the VF grade.
I believe that it would be easier to do in mint state. Vf coins that are mark free and have The Look are tougher to locate in my opinion.

I am very pleased with a few of these. Most I see room for improvement and some I don't like at all.

I must say that this set has given me more enjoyment than any other I have ever done.

Coronet Half Cent
1849-1857

Classic Head Cent
1808-1814

1909 VDB Lincoln

Lincoln Memorial reverse
1959-

Liberty Seated Half Dime Arrows
1853-1855

Liberty Seated Half Dime Legend
1860-1873

Jefferson Nickel
1938-

Jefferson War Nickel
1942-1945

Roosevelt Dime
1965-

Washington Quarter
1965-

Kennedy Half

Kennedy Half
1965-

Comments

• Options
    Fugio1787Fugio1787 Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

Very nice

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done. I like that a lot.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful set! Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Original coins like those have great appeal. It is great to be able to look at a collection containing coins that haven't been cleaned.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice set... I like the overall look. You may want to check the label on the Lincoln cents. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Dr_BonesDr_Bones Posts: 67 ✭✭✭

Very nice. I like the consistency

Visit USPatterns.com

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Killer set, and a joy to behold.
    Also cool that you have some tough dates/mm coins in there too!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a very nice matching type set 👍🏻

Mr_Spud

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet! Nicely matched set.

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a great looking set you’re working on.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice! I especially like the 1860-O half and the 1935 Peace dollar “look”!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@Catbert said:
    Really nice! I especially like the 1860-O half and the 1935 Peace dollar “look”!

Thanks. The 1860-o is one of the nicest coins there.
    I could make most of them "look" better by lighting, etc.
    That wasn't my goal, not to mention the time constraints.
    I want to be able to throw them all down on the copy stand with the same settings and light and have them look good.
    That 1860-o performs well.
    No matter how you look at it or image it, it is just nice.
    I wish they all looked like that.
    I think I have found a nice replacement for one of them already this morning. That's what keeps me going.

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

That is a very nicely matched set! Those are hard to find mark-free.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see the effort you but into it. Looks like a nice straight grade, consistent looking, problem free set!

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. It is time consuming to get good photos and arrange them the way you have done. Thanks for sharing.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice set. I love the uniformity of the look. That takes a lot of patience.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have done an absolutely fabulous job and have shown tremendous discipline and patience. I love the set!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow this is a fantastic set. Very well done!

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice well matched set.

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭✭

The originality is awesome. I like the CC dime and the twenty cent piece. The O-mints are cool too.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    mtnmanmtnman Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Really nice matched set.

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a marvelous set. Wonderful early WLH. All those Seated issues. Each excellent looking.
    That said, I went back to take another look at the 15-s cent.
    Congratulations on your set.

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's interesting though, how many of them seem to have the same black grim/crud around the devices. Not complaining, just an observation. You obviously selected them that way. It gives them that classic patina look.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like many others have said, a wonderful set and accomplishment so far!

I really like the way they match ... it's as if they all belong together. That takes a lot of patience to assemble that looks and feels that way.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

very nice set and presentation.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

Thanks everyone. I really enjoy working on it.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well matched. Fantastic.

• Options

@Flatwoods said:
    My goal is to create a nicely matched, mark free set of original looking coins.
    I mean to post them here every year or so but it never happens.
    It takes a loooong time to do this.

I like to post them here so that I can see my progress.
    It also helps when I find a nice coin to be able to look up this thread and see if it is nicer than the coin I have or if I even have it at all.
    It is very difficult to remember every coin that I need so this time I am going to add labels in place of missing coins to aid me in my search.

This set started out as an XF set and there are still quite a few at that level but I have become more interested in the VF grade.
    I believe that it would be easier to do in mint state. Vf coins that are mark free and have The Look are tougher to locate in my opinion.

I am very pleased with a few of these. Most I see room for improvement and some I don't like at all.

I must say that this set has given me more enjoyment than any other I have ever done.

Coronet Half Cent
    1849-1857

Classic Head Cent
    1808-1814

1909 VDB Lincoln

Lincoln Memorial reverse
    1959-

Liberty Seated Half Dime Arrows
    1853-1855

Liberty Seated Half Dime Legend
    1860-1873

Jefferson Nickel
    1938-

Jefferson War Nickel
    1942-1945

Roosevelt Dime
    1965-

Washington Quarter
    1965-

Kennedy Half

Kennedy Half
    1965-

Very nice!

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set. Congrats and thank you for sharing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent, original coins in a set with great eye appeal! Absolutely love your half dollars!!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

A cool well matched original set to be proud of

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭

A labor of love! As said by our colleagues, that takes great patience and care! Beautiful coins!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file