Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mint Errors In Mint Sets......Plus, Packaging Errors

USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 26, 2021 1:16PM in U.S. Coin Forum

...........showem' if you gottem'

EDIT: Okay, this isn't working as well as I thought. Let's widen the search. Let's see your packaging errors. There's gotta be tons of those there! I'll post mine down below.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice.

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've come across 2005 Mint sets that didn't have the proper quarters, i.e. two Minnesotas and no West Virginia. And while not intact with its original mint set, a doubled die reverse 1970-D Roosevelt still sealed in its set wrapper.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is really neat. I assume it’s worth more left in the cello.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! Looks like a decent grade, too. I don’t have the patience to go through sets to find one like that but I’ll enjoy it vicariously.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never encountered a Mint set like that.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find - I don't think I've ever seen a clip in a mint set before.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one!

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have, somewhere, a 1994 mint set with a half(?) with machine doubling. Interesting, but not remotely valuable.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way cool I like

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have mint and proof sets I have not even opened. This thread may motivate me... I will put it on my list of 'things to do'.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited June 26, 2021 6:21AM

@ricko said:
    I have mint and proof sets I have not even opened. This thread may motivate me... I will put it on my list of 'things to do'.... ;) Cheers, RickO

That's how I found that struck thru. I had a draw full of unopened mint and proof sets. I "was" (no more) getting one of each, every year for 10 or 15 years and just threw them in the draw.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USSID17... Yes, that is what I did up until about 2010 or so....Then stopped, they just accumulate and almost never of numismatic value. You have a nice find there. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited June 26, 2021 6:37AM

@ricko said:
    @USSID17... Yes, that is what I did up until about 2010 or so....Then stopped, they just accumulate and almost never of numismatic value. You have a nice find there. Cheers, RickO

Thanks!

Yes, you can't give a darn things away! From where I sit, what a waste on money! I've seen people just break them open and spend as cash.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USSID17
    Nice find on the strike thru.
    I said someday I would go thru my unopened mint and proof sets.
    I also said this about 5 years ago. lol
    Will let you know what I find if I do. ;)
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:
    @USSID17
    Nice find on the strike thru.
    I said someday I would go thru my unopened mint and proof sets.
    I also said this about 5 years ago. lol
    Will let you know what I find if I do. ;)
    Wayne

Send them to me Wayne, I'll go through them for you! :)

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are pretty neat. I have a stack of mint sets from the 70's - 80's that I ought to take a look at.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@oih82w8 said:
    Those are pretty neat. I have a stack of mint sets from the 70's - 80's that I ought to take a look at.

Yes, you should. And I want a cut of what you find!!

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2021 5:16PM

Happy Sunday

• Options
    edited June 27, 2021 3:55PM

@LindyS said:
    1966 SMS 50c Major Off Center
    From US Gov't inspected California safe deposit box hoard released to legally trade a few years ago.
    Not issued in snap lock holder as it would not fit in holder

Very nice!

Let me ask you something. How do you think something like this actually walks out of the mint?

• Options
    edited June 28, 2021 5:19PM

Happy Sunday

• Options

@LindyS said:
    Having no first hand eye witness histories to share concerning Mint leaks it would just be speculation on my part.

I've collected coinage errors since 1979, adding these goodies to my archive when the rare shopping opportunity & budget allow has been a joy for me.

@USSID17 said:

Let me ask you something. How do you think something like this actually walks out of the mint?

I guess it doesn't matter, it's in your possession now!

• Options
    KnellKnell Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

My only direct from USMint errors....

I guess packaging error. Missing coin and half/top of coin capsule missing.
    I can't recall if USMint refunded the money but I know they responded to my claim.
    Plus another package of 3 Innovation dollar sets was missing 2 sets. USMint responded to my claim but can't remember if they refunded. One of these claims I know they refunded.

And here 2 sets of coin and currency set with packaging error.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've handled a 1970 Mint Set with a
    Quarter Struck on a Nickel Planchet;
    NGC Certified -

And there is another Set, also certified,
    out there - I believe it's the same year,
    but not 100% sure.

Those are the only two known Off Metal
    Planchet errors in original Mint set soft-plastic.

There are at least 4-5 BU Silver Ike dollars, soft-packs,
    with Rim clips......

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

@Knell said:
    My only direct from USMint errors....
    I guess packaging error. Missing coin and half/top of coin capsule missing.
    I can't recall if USMint refunded the money but I know they responded to my claim.
    Plus another package of 3 Innovation dollar sets was missing 2 sets. USMint responded to my claim but can't remember if they refunded. One of these claims I know they refunded.

And here 2 sets of coin and currency set with packaging error.

I find packaging errors just as interesting as the mint errors!

@FredWeinberg said:
    I've handled a 1970 Mint Set with a
    Quarter Struck on a Nickel Planchet;
    NGC Certified -

And there is another Set, also certified,
    out there - I believe it's the same year,
    but not 100% sure.

Those are the only two known Off Metal
    Planchet errors in original Mint set soft-plastic.

There are at least 4-5 BU Silver Ike dollars, soft-packs,
    with Rim clips......

Thanks for that Fred!

@Byers said:
    Fred- there are at least three known. I have handled two dated 1965. Here is one of them:

• Options

Here's another packaging error and or damage coin. Again, I found this years later after I starting opening the OGP boxes I had stored away.

Can't imagine how this happened. Looks like they forced it into the case with a screwdriver or pair of pliers.....metal-on-metal? What a mess!!! :s:'(:s

• Options
    edited June 28, 2021 4:49PM

Happy Monday !

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about an error with the package itself? Here's a vertical alignment cutting error on a 1968 proof set box:

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

@LindyS said:
    1970D 50c Mint Set only issue Off Center strike

Would liked to have seen that in it's OGP.

@cmerlo1 said:
    How about an error with the package itself? Here's a vertical alignment cutting error on a 1968 proof set box:

Yep, that's it.

• Options

@USSID17 said:
    Would liked to have seen that in it's OGP.

Sorry

• Options
    edited June 29, 2021 4:50PM

SeanQ,
    You have amassed what I assume is the largest collection of clipped coins in Mint packaging or out of their holder !!!
    Lindy

• Options
    edited July 6, 2021 9:14PM

And a lesser known variety...

It's so rare, it doesn't have a name! :D;)

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anymore out there?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome. Would love to find something like that in the wild. Neat how NGC certified it to keep the set intact.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

That's very cool! Thanks Jon! 👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the past month I've picked up two more Mint sets with clipped coins, a 1981 with a clipped Philly half and a 1969 with a clipped San Francisco cent. Great Collections also sold a 1995-S dime with a small rim clip, I ended up the underbidder on that one.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Byers said:

Yes, that's the most famous one I am familiar with. I came across mention of it when researching the 2016 over 2015 nickel I found in a new box of nickels from the bank.

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it’s famous since dual-dates are rare and the fact that it is still government sealed adds to the overall appeal of it!

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    Eighteen63Eighteen63 Posts: 124 ✭✭✭✭

On the contrary, Google is not your friend.

• Options

@Eighteen63 said:

I don't know what that is, but I like it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file