Home U.S. Coin Forum

1946 MS68 Half Dollar

JBNJBN Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 27, 2021 6:20PM in U.S. Coin Forum

So newly made, the Trueview is not yet available. Finest known/pop 1. SOLD Great Collections $150K (their photos):
https://greatcollections.com/Coin/1015747

Comments

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2021 2:53PM

WOW!! Sky's the limit on that baby!!! :o

Guess I'll just have to 'settle' for my MS 66+!!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• JBNJBN Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    WOW!! Sky's the limit on that baby!!! :o

Guess I'll just have to 'settle' for my MS 66+!!!

Kinda like the 1944P in MS68 at Heritage those years ago. Six figures seems very plausible.

The coin has a bit of luster, doesn't it???

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to see the TrueView because I am guessing the toning is much more attractive than the haze shown in that photo. With that said, Great Collections has a lot of photos like this (bright, toning poorly captured, and overall focused on showing the slab nicely, not the coin specifically), and I think it's a huge disservice. If the coin really looks like that at its best, I'm not a fan. If it doesn't (which I am guessing is the case), then that is absolutely not how you photograph a $90,000+ coin.

That said, how newly graded can it be (in terms of not having a TrueView available) if it already went through CAC?

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Details and luster bomb.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a stunner - Fantasic eye appeal probably pushed it to 68

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

The luster is unbelievable, I don't see a mark on it and the strike is quite nice, too. I don't think that I've ever seen a nicer one. But for the money that it would take to own it, I have a long list of other items that I would buy first.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    That looks like the toning I used to find on 1939 WQs when you could purchase them by the roll and they were original. The best coins nearly always had that look and I find it very attractive, though it is hardly colorful or neon like most folks prefer.

Interesting, Tom. It immediately reminded me of the look of some 1939 (and 1940) Walkers I occasionally saw in original rolls in approximately the late 80’s.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

As Jeremy indicated, I'd need to see that coin in hand. The eye appeal in the pic knocks your socks off. That said, the yellow toning looks like silver sulfide, which is removable by dipping a coin properly. The coin was indeed dipped as you can see some dip rinse spots at 12:00 and 9:00 near the I in In God We Trust. There is also a hit on the sun.

If this is really how the coin looks, it's no MS 68 to me. If it looks better than this, the pic does it a disservice.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:
    I would like to see the TrueView because I am guessing the toning is much more attractive than the haze shown in that photo. With that said, Great Collections has a lot of photos like this (bright, toning poorly captured, and overall focused on showing the slab nicely, not the coin specifically), and I think it's a huge disservice. If the coin really looks like that at its best, I'm not a fan. If it doesn't (which I am guessing is the case), then that is absolutely not how you photograph a $90,000+ coin.

That said, how newly graded can it be (in terms of not having a TrueView available) if it already went through CAC?

I have a feeling it looks pretty close to that in hand.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2021 4:28PM

@Elcontador said:
    As Jeremy indicated, I'd need to see that coin in hand. The eye appeal in the pic knocks your socks off. That said, the yellow toning looks like silver sulfide, which is removable by dipping a coin properly. The coin was indeed dipped as you can see some dip rinse spots at 12:00 and 9:00 near the I in In God We Trust. There is also a hit on the sun.

If this is really how the coin looks, it's no MS 68 to me. If it looks better than this, the pic does it a disservice.

The coin does not look dipped to me.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin looks nice to me. I hear the folks about what looks like a mark on the sun. That would take it out of 68 for me. Too much of a focal point imo.
    Besides “PCGS and CAC have seen it in person.”
    So we know it’s ok. 😎😆

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are flecks of luster break IMO....How significant is the apparent "mark" on the sun? That if at all would kill the 68 grade and have to have some faith in the original grade when backed by CAC.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

I said for me it kills it. Ymmv.
    First time I I’ve got in one of these discussions in years. I said imo hope that’s still ok. :)

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a good photo of an MS68 Walker if you're interested in selling it for top dollar, frankly. Cover up the label and start this thread over again and you'd get a lot of indifferent reactions, comments about needing to see it in hand, and GTGs that are all over the place.

• The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an amazing coin

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stman said:
    Coin looks nice to me. I hear the folks about what looks like a mark on the sun. That would take it out of 68 for me. Too much of a focal point imo.
    Besides “PCGS and CAC have seen it in person.”
    So we know it’s ok. 😎😆

Looks more like a streak than a hit to me

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

@sellitstore said:
    The luster is unbelievable, I don't see a mark on it and the strike is quite nice, too. I don't think that I've ever seen a nicer one. But for the money that it would take to own it, I have a long list of other items that I would buy first.

Really? There is a good size mark/graze in the middle of the sun that is very easy to see.

MS68 is not a perfect coin. Perhaps if that glazing mark wasn't present the coin would be an MS68+ and retail for an extra 50K.

peacockcoins

• CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 199 ✭✭✭

IMO, the coin speaks for itself.

I'm curious if one person bought most of the Lulu WL50c auctioned by StacksBowers. This coin certainly belongs to be in the same set.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@coinbuf said:

@sellitstore said:

Really? There is a good size mark/graze in the middle of the sun that is very easy to see.

MS68 is not a perfect coin. Perhaps if that glazing mark wasn't present the coin would be an MS68+ and retail for an extra 50K.

I'm not making any comment on what I think of the grade, just that the mark or graze is very visible when a member said that its mark free, thats all.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, I personally don't like that dusky toning or the partial fingerprint, but a very nice coin indeed!

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice toning!

• scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2021 6:41PM

Very nice Walker! You can just tell that thing has BOOMING luster! It does have that thing on the sun, but that's about the only flaw I see unless you don't like the toning.

Let me just say again I didn’t say positively it was a mark on the sun If not it’s just like when I see what might be a fingerprint on a coin. Then someone always would come in and say not a print. Even if not, if it looks like one to me I will always wonder. Why? I hate prints. No matter what it is on the sun if I were in that league I wouldn’t touch it.

Now I went further then I wanted. No more comment from me. I wasn’t a member of the debate team in high school. Heh

• WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BustDMs said:
    I’d crack it out and put it in my Whitman folder. :D

Just tape the PCGS tag inside the cover. I'm sure that will hold its value when selling. :)

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not a fan of haze. Not for me at all.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

“1000% PERFECT surfaces adorn both sides. Use a neutron microscope and you will find NO flaws of any size, any where.”

use a description like this and it will go to the moon.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I’m not a fan of haze. Not for me at all.

i agree usually but i do concede while i will not comment as to the condition of this coin vs the number on the holder, there are many coins out there, especially jeffersons that have a look like this at certain angles but change that just a little bit and there is amazing color right at and/or under that "haze."

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• MartinMartin Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where is Ricko?

Martin

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Meanwhile - bid is up to $88,500

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's gorgeous...period.

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Luster looks off the charts but would love to see it in hand.
    Ian and GC are great but I wish they would take better images of the higher end coins. Particularly where as here the TrueView is not available.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trueviews are about 2 weeks behind, I would have waited to list it. Possible it was a raw consignment. That coin looks incredible.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a beautiful coin! As for the 68 it’s got the ding in the sun, two spots above IN and another at 2:00.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2021 10:08PM

Other than that mark on the sun, the surface preservation is superb. I also like the luster and the toning. I think that the strike could be sharper, though. Head and thumb on the obverse, as well as the trailing leg on the reverse, look soft.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frosty and stunning!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@MFeld said:

@Elcontador said:

The coin does not look dipped to me.

Mark, if that's not dip rinse, they are either odd toning flecks or possibly small carbon spots. I'd need to see the coin. Between this and the hit on the sun, I don't think it should be in an MS 68 holder.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a super beautiful WLH.... Although my preference would be without the faint tarnish, the luster and condition of the coin supersede that issue. That mark on the sun is unfortunate, but I believe with the coin in hand, it would appear very minor, thus justifying the grade. Cheers, RickO

• planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

I'm wondering if "frost breaks" is a better description for those things being called a "mark," "ding," "spots," etc. I see them too, and as a Walker enthusiast I can't ignore whatever visual discontinuity that is on the sun, but I do not believe this coin is as marked-up as some seem to see it. I can't wait on the TV either.

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

A beauty. No question about it. And a great candidate for buy the holder not the coin.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it possible that whatever seems to be visible on the sun is actually on the slab?

@clarkbar04 said:
    You don’t need to see the coin in hand to tell it’s not dip rinse.

You might not need to see it, but I do.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:
    Is it possible that whatever seems to be visible on the sun is actually on the slab?

It doesn't look like it. It could be just a luster break, however.

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a beautiful coin. The recent Cert is cool as well. Where do you think it spent its previous life? Album? Saflip?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file