Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My purchases see more "action" than I do . . . . . . (USPS rant)

ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

From Akron OH to Atlanta GA via Lost Angeles . . . . . . ? Seriously?

Two Day Delivery now on it's 10th day . . . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Comments

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2021 7:31AM

There is no guarantee for delivery time on Priority Mail. Only on Express Mail. If it was sent Express Mail, the shipper will be refunded if not delivered by guaranteed time, and you should expect a refund of any shipping charges paid. And on a different note, there are very few errors by USPS scanning equipment for pre-paid USPS shipping labels. Usually the problems arise from sloppy handwritten addressing on packages.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 11:36AM

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to the post office's description of the service, "Priority Mail" means the goal is to deliver in 1 to 3 days, with no guarantee of actual delivery date.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm betting next stop the ATL then to Sarasota Florida...... ;)

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

it may be time for the USPS find my package page.

to make you feel better, many people here have had delayed and mis-routed packages, nearly all mail we send makes it.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins in my SDB see more action than I do.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

CA... GA... who can tell the difference?

thefinn
  • Options

@thefinn said:

You know, that might just be the problem, especially if the label is handwritten.

I never thought of that.

I reported it as lost and started an insurance claim on it. That usually works like ExLax through a goose in getting it delivered.

Before the claim, no record of where it was. After, it shows up in Lost Angels and is on its way back east.

Z

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:

@thefinn said:

You know, that might just be the problem, especially if the label is handwritten.

The zip code is the first thing the post office uses for routing mail. GA and CA zips aren't even close.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@ZoidMeister said:

@thefinn said:

The zip code is the first thing the post office uses for routing mail. GA and CA zips aren't even close.

It’s SUPPOSED to be the first thing that they look at.

thefinn
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was told "what package" before

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2021 4:33AM

Some of my purchases have taken “grand tours of the United States” before they got to me. One package from Ohio spent two weeks in Memphis. When it got to me, it was broken open on the end. It looked like a mail cart had run over it. Fortunately the contents were still there and intact.

The mail service has really gone downhill, especially since the pandemic. First Class mail has been really bad. I had one check take two and a half weeks to get to the dealer. I have given up trying to mail checks. I just pay the credit card fee instead. I sent one check via certified mail to Heritage. Now they have a payment system that can take money electronically from your bank account. That’s better than hassling with the dealer who thinks you have not paid him.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

We certainly see a fair share of mail horror stories on this forum. My experiences have been good.... Though my wife had a package that crossed the U.S. twice... that was funny (to me - she was not laughing :D ). Cheers, RickO

• Options

@thefinn said:

@MasonG said:

@ZoidMeister said:

@thefinn said:

It’s SUPPOSED to be the first thing that they look at.

Well, see- that's the point. If you read the zip code first, it'll tell you whether the address is in GA or CA. So the handwriting for the state shouldn't matter.

• Options

Sumbeyotch still ain't here . . .

Mailed on the 15th.

Z

• Options

Ohio to Atlanta, mailed on June 15, first to Los Angeles, then to Atlanta metro, BACK to Los Angeles . . . .

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

I generally have very good service/luck with the USPS, until just recently. 3 packages shipped to 3 forum members on the same day from Florida. Illinois package received in two days. Oregon 8 days. Delaware 11 days.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a purchase sent from Hawaii to Michigan that took 50 days to arrive. It was mailed on December 1, 2020 and arrived January 19.2021. The package was clean and undamaged.

• Options

Dammed package still ain't here. Back and forth between Los Angeles and Atlanta three times.

Now it's heading back to LA . . . .

Z

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2021 6:45PM

Never had a problem - Ever wonder if the USPS has a "Screw with" list? I just keep imagining "Newman" from Seinfeld.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being a Postal retiree I usually try to defend the organization. In the last few months, tho, I must admit that I've had about a third of the items won off ebay missent. Why this is the case I have no idea other than it's a recent development. The delays aren't serious but they are annoying. Right now one package that was supposed to come here to Ohio was missent to suburban Chicago.

• Options

The "envelope" was finally received, after three trips back and forth between Los Angeles and Atlanta.

It was beat to death and one side tore open. It was empty. Seller is saying "your fault for not asking me to buy insurance." he refuses any responsibility.

He hand writes all packages (actually refuses to print postage through Ebay), and the post office is subject to misinterpreting his shaky bad penmanship. He sent it first class with stamps, purchased a tracking number, but no insurance, not even the stipend that would have come with Priority Mail.

Ebay is making it really difficult to open a case because the envelope is showing as "delivered" in the Postal Service tracking.

Because he didn't purchase the postage through Ebay like every one else does, I think they have limited visibility on all the crap this package went through with this one.

Z

• Options

I don't even think he put the coin into any secondary protective sleeve or cardboard in the envelope. The hole in the bottom was just big enough for the item to fall out.

I'm so pizzed, angry, heartbroken, and sick to my stomach. This ONE item was unique. It is irreplaceable. A true one-if-a-kind.

Z

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would hazard a guess that
    i'd still think you get $50 auto-magically

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/503.htm#ep1233501 - [6-20-21] Insurance coverage is provided against loss, damage, or missing contents and limited to a maximum liability of $50.00 when the Priority Mail pieces bear an IMpb or USPS retail tracking barcode, and the mailer pays retail or Commercial Base prices.

I'm guessing $50 won't cover it.

I'd keep calling in until you get an intelligent warm body that recognizes that it is the seller's responsibility to get the item to you and you can show it hasn't.

since ebay can see ebay messages I'd start including pictures of the poorly packaged and opened mail in correspondence.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister sorry for your loss. Hopefully it wasn't very expensive.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

It was a VERY UNIQUE truly one-of-a-kind piece.

It was a silver medal commemorating the Arkansas Numismatic Society's 50th Anniversary.

It was SUPPOSED TO HAVE BEEN the bookend for the piece I already own below.

One originally struck in 1948, year one - the other struck in 1998, year 50, both with an counterstrike designed by Ron Landis / GMM.

I already own the 1998 and was waiting on the 1948 to arrive. THAT is why I am just SO SICK about this loss . . . . . . .

Z

Sellers photos of the missing 1948 - 1st Year piece:

My photos of the 1998 - 50th Year piece already in my possession:

Prayers to St. Eligius, the patron saint of numismatics for it's recovery are appreciated.

Z

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭

I don't leave many negatives, but if it was packaged poorly and had a handwritten address, I would leave negative feedback in this case. It's on the seller to do everything they can to get the item to you safely.

• Options

@Kove said:
    I don't leave many negatives, but if it was packaged poorly and had a handwritten address, I would leave negative feedback in this case. It's on the seller to do everything they can to get the item to you safely.

He's basically saying "Tough luck, I did my part." Claims over 7,000 packages shipped in the same manner without any hiccups . . . . .

I'm waiting to hear back from Ebay.

Z

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try opening a SNAD case whereby the contents of what you had purchased were not contained within the (poor) packaging.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really get upset when something is poorly packaged. I've had a few instances where the coin or medal was just thrown into a regular envelope with no protection whatsoever, not even a 2 x 2 cardboard holder. A couple of them never made it, having fallen out of the envelope. I've always got my money back in those cases.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister
    PM me his eBay ID so I can block him.
    Thanks

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file