Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need thoughts for a grade for this morgan. Is it even worth it?

Ok. I have this 1878 8 tail feathers Morgan dollar I am considering grading and, since I am no expert in Morgans especially, idk what grade it would get or if it's even worth sending it in for a grade. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the photos it looks cleaned. Not worth grading.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU details cleaned

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if it was problem free, it wouldn’t be worth slabbing.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ditto. Not UNC, not worth the $40 to slab it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2021 5:35AM

@DynamiteDD.... Welcome aboard. Looks AU, cleaned... A fair amount of marks/dings on the obverse face and fields of the reverse. Not worth the grading fees.... self slab for preservation. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could send it in, see what/if it grades and use the results as part of your education on how Morgan dollars are graded, or you can purchase a nice AU example already slabbed by PCGS and compare it to other coins you're interested in having graded in the future. Either way, it's a learning process. Welcome aboard!

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options

@anablep said:
    You could send it in, see what/if it grades and use the results as part of your education on how Morgan dollars are graded, or you can purchase a nice AU example already slabbed by PCGS and compare it to other coins you're interested in having graded in the future. Either way, it's a learning process. Welcome aboard!

If I were to send it in somewhere just to see what grade I could get, where would you suggest I send it? A lot of the previous comments say that it's cleaned, so I don't want to spend top dollar to send it somewhere like PCGS and have it come back as cleaned, but I am curious as to what grade it could get regaurdless.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2021 12:08PM

Save yourself the money and don’t waste your time and effort having some 2nd or third tier grading company offer their opinion.
    Their opinions are often inflated and meaningless except to those using to use their sometimes inflated opinions to market their products to unsuspecting buyers.
    It’s an XF- ‘maybe low AU-
    Take it to a coin show and ask some dealers their opinions perhaps.
    That would be free.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

The large series of small scratches, many of them parallel to one another, indicates that the coin has been cleaned.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

save your money

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

As stated before by others - it's a low AU coin. So grade would be au details - cleaned. What more do you want? Do you want to see your coins in slabs? If so then send them to ANACS. I think they charge around 12$ per coin plus all the shipping charges............. but really you will still be wasting your money.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DynamiteDD said:
    If I were to send it in somewhere just to see what grade I could get, where would you suggest I send it? A lot of the previous comments say that it's cleaned, so I don't want to spend top dollar to send it somewhere like PCGS and have it come back as cleaned, but I am curious as to what grade it could get regaurdless.

I suggest that you light a $50 dollar bill on fire and watch it burn, that is the same benefit you will get by sending this coin in to any TPG for grading. Seriously it is not worth grading and you will learn nothing by sending it to some low level or basement slabber for a worthless (possibly overblown) opinion.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    I suggest that you light a $50 dollar bill on fire and watch it burn, that is the same benefit you will get by sending this coin in to any TPG for grading. Seriously it is not worth grading and you will learn nothing by sending it to some low level or basement slabber for a worthless (possibly overblown) opinion.

This level of snark is so unnecessary here. My suggestion that the OP learn how to understand grading based on a TPG's opinion is merely a part of their education in learning how Morgans are graded. You've literally given the OP no useful advice while only serving your own subjectivity regarding TPG services.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    silverman68silverman68 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Not worth the cost of all the fees.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the responses that you've gotten so far I think you can save the grading costs, and you should have a pretty good idea at what the grade of the coin is: cleaned with AU details. Welcome to the forum. May I suggest that you get to looking at as many coins as you possibly can that are already in respected third party grading slabs to help you get an idea as to how the professionals grade coins.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2021 11:04AM

Welcome to the forum

I too, had a Morgan 8 tail feathers variety wondering if I should send in? In my situation it was a NO Brainer! My Dad self engraved all us 5 kids Morgan/Peace dollars with our names on one side and our birthdays on the other. Even though the coins are ruined, they are worth a whole lot more in my eyes. That's why I had them certified by our Host. And also personalized.

Dad's Dollar

This one here is my younger sister's. It's actually valued at $125, but not really. :)

If interested,

here are two more certified Dad's Dollars I have. Two more, yet to have graded.
    My brother's
    1926s Peace

And of course, mine
    1921s Morgan

It's my actual Avatar

Sorry, to get off your op subject. Thanks

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

save your money

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file