Home U.S. Coin Forum

Planchet error?

I found this 1934 penny a while ago while hunting coin rolls and I noticed that it weighed WAY less than it should. I have my suspicions it could be a planchet error but IDK what exactly it could be. I have done some skin-deep research on foreign planchets that could potentially fit the bill, but I really haven't found any that match the weight of the coin I have given how old it is. Any ideas?

Comments

• Coins like this in low grade, with cruddy surfaces are usually just well worn cents. That's probably all it is. It does have a lamination on the reverse (which would account perhaps for the lower weight.)

www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DynamiteDD... Welcome aboard. Between the wear, and the damage to the reverse (missing metal), I would say those are the main cause of the .33g variance in weight. Cheers, RickO

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could also have started off as weighing light (thin planchet) then add on the other problems to come up with the total light weight. It is a lamination error on the back so could be a nice keeper if you collect lamination error coins.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• @Steven59 said:
    Could also have started off as weighing light (thin planchet) then add on the other problems to come up with the total light weight. It is a lamination error on the back so could be a nice keeper if you collect lamination error coins.

Those things considered, do you think that it's worth getting graded? I am no expert on errors and I don't want to grade a $10 coin you know what I mean?

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is not a $10 coin ... it is a ten cent coin. Absolutely not worth grading.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

No - laminations aren't worth much if any premium over face. Some people just like to collect them as they can still be easily found when searching wheat cents

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put it in a 2x2 flip and add it to your error binder. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file