Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Morgan Dollar opinions requested and appreciated

I recently acquired a small batch of Morgan Dollars that spent the last 50+ years in untouched Whitman albums. The albums literally fell apart when I opened them. I'm not very hip on Morgans and would really appreciate opinions from people that are. I intend to sell these dollars in the near future and would like to have a little "market opinion" before I do. I've attached a few examples.

Please note my images are not generated or rubbed on to be pretty. They're created to be dead accurate and highly detailed, and (assuming the viewer has their personal equipment set to default standards) they are.

The coins are nicely toned (in my almost worthless opinion) but overall the luster is subdued. I'm not really looking for opinion of grade (but welcome opinions, of course) as grading from images is a bit pointless. I'm looking more just for opinion of appeal to the people in the know. I want to generate an expectation of price that's fair to collectors and fair to me as well.

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first two look high AU…that’s a dope 80 s…don’t see many in that condition. Pocket piece for sure ;)

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome. I love to study Morgans and Peace dollars. Slide on over to vamworld.com where you shall learn much about these coins. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 97 and 97-S look to be mid to high AU. I find the toning to be unattractive and both coins are too dark for me.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first two appear to be AU... the third is maybe 40... I do not like what appears to be terminal state tarnish on all of them, and would not consider them for my collection. Others may like them. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:
    The first two look high AU…that’s a dope 80 s…don’t see many in that condition. Pocket piece for sure ;)

Agreed.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2021 12:18PM

All three are highly unattractive judging from these photos imo, if I were in the market to buy Morgans I would pass these by for any price over melt so the grades are not really relevant.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU53, AU55, VG8.

Circ toners don't really draw a premium.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU53, AU55 and VG8 maybe VG10. Would love to see the rest.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

A bit too dark as the toning is progressing past colorful. But people on eBay seem to go crazy over toned Morgans.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

mid-AU on the first two, F12 on the 80-S... all are a bit too darkly toned for my taste, but I don't care for them blast white either (sorry, ricko... ;-))

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Generally agree with the grades, but against the grain a little, I appreciate the look of the 97-S

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    All three are highly unattractive judging from these photos imo, if I were in the market to buy Morgans I would pass these by for any price over melt so the grades are not really relevant.

All Morgans are well over melt these days. Fine or better are over $30 wholesale

• Options
    Bruce7789Bruce7789 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭

Is the "ghosting" on that 1897 S, both Obverse and Reverse actually there, or is it a reflection off of the flip or something else? I'm not seeing it on the other coins, so it probably isn't your photography.

• Options
    edited June 19, 2021 4:28PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinbuf said:

All Morgans are well over melt these days. Fine or better are over $30 wholesale

What others do or pay has no impact on what I would pay. As a collector I am not going to overpay for coins that I find unattractive. If that means that I don't buy that is fine since I really don't want coins in my collection that I find unattractive, if it means that others are willing to pay more that is fine also. If I only wanted to flip them then the look would not matter and the market prices would be the major factor; but as I have said many times I'm not a dealer or flipper.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

@coinbuf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinbuf said:

What others do or pay has no impact on what I would pay. As a collector I am not going to overpay for coins that I find unattractive. If that means that I don't buy that is fine since I really don't want coins in my collection that I find unattractive, if it means that others are willing to pay more that is fine also. If I only wanted to flip them then the look would not matter and the market prices would be the major factor; but as I have said many times I'm not a dealer or flipper.

Just an observation. I really don't care if you prefer to only pay face value.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinbuf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@coinbuf said:

Just an observation. I really don't care if you prefer to only pay face value.

How funny, I was thinking how I really don't care about your observation. I guess we have something in common :D

My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 80 s has a nice circ cam look to it.
    I like it !!!

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

How funny, I was thinking how I really don't care about your observation. I guess we have something in common :D

This isn’t the BST so I’m not sure why you’d treat facts with so much salt and shade unless you have a limb in your rectal cavity.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grade them $31, $31, $25.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quite dark but do post some more.

• Options

@clarkbar04 said:

@coinbuf said:

This isn’t the BST so I’m not sure why you’d treat facts with so much salt and shade unless you have a limb in your rectal cavity.

Especially since the OP asked for a market opinion and got a reply that suggested these are only worth melt. I was just trying to clarify the market for the OP.

• Options
    Southside7Southside7 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭

Apologies for the slow response.

Many thanks to those that offered constructive opinions! It's nice to see the diversification in taste. That's what collecting should be. Interesting as well to see the difference in opinions of grade. The 80-S from VG8 to EF40. Gives meaning to the word "subjective".

Personally I have some odd appreciation for the coins having sat undisturbed in childhood-like Whitman albums for over half a century then being brought back into the light.

To Bruce7789; The ghosting is there but it's in the coloration, not strike.

No more ability to post images. I traded all the dollars. Not long ago I purchased a Doubled Die gaming token from a collector that runs a small but very personal numismatic E-Commerce site. I posted a story about the fantastic (re)connection the transaction created. Since then I've become quite good friends (or as good as can get from thousands of miles away) with this gentleman. He's really a cool and fun dude! I told him about these dollars and sent him the same three images. He traded me all the dollars for coins I wanted for my own personal collection. He also offered to use and accredit the images of the three coins I posted here should he decide to list the dollars so, for a numismatic nobody and amateur photographer like me, that's fun, exciting and quite a nice compliment! :)

Thanks again for the input.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file