Home U.S. Coin Forum

Another R4 CBH … I think I’ll name her Patch ... added some thoughts about the Die

pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 15, 2021 5:37PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Well, this is the one I was patiently waiting for … if patient is looking for a package every day and hoping it will be here soon.

You know … mass anticipation. Many of you know. I think we all get it. The dealer had given me a check price, and said he preferred that, so we had the snail mail payment, and then, since we hadn’t done business before, the hold.

But when you are anticipating something with relative significance, I think the wait time gets harder.

Like watching the pot boil … time … slows … down.

Oh but I’m happy I saw her, was able to research and knew who she was, and still get her at a favorable price. This is the more difficult marriage, the O-102, which is not the same reverse die as the Broken 3, the O-101, or the other Patched 3, the O-101a.

Welcome to the fold, Patch. Glad to have you here! :D

Feel free to guess the grade, or provide any comments, good or bad.

My pictures and TrueViews provided

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

Comments

• chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really cool. I always liked that variety. What a laughable 3 though!

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn, that's a lovely O.102. I want one.

The 1823 SNAFU'd 3's are such fun. Fixes to botched 3's went from bad to worse. I can only imagine choice words from the engraver. "What's it take to get some goddamn light in here?"

You're building a great set of lovely, original bust halves, Todd. Kudos on this one.
    Lance.

• drddmdrddm Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

And so another beauty enters the fold!

Definitely a tougher die marriage, and one I’m still searching for.

Congrats on snatching this one up, Todd!

Your ever expanding set continues to get better and better with every coin you keep adding.

Great job!
    Dave

• truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:

Fixes to botched 3's went from bad to worse. I can only imagine choice words from the engraver. "What's it take to get some goddamn light in here?"

:D:D:D

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice ... it took me a while to find a nice example ... albeit a VF. :)

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one! B)
    53- ?

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

B)

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the black eyed eagle! Nice looking coin.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice old coin with an interesting 3.... I wonder what the story behind that was.... New at the job, after liquid lunch, etc.. Cheers, RickO

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Nice old coin with an interesting 3.... I wonder what the story behind that was.... New at the job, after liquid lunch, etc..

Interesting to speculate here. I think we have to consider what was there before the "patch" before we go further.

We know that the Obverse Die is from the "Broken 3" variety coin. This has been speculated (by Overton no less) not to be a 3 at all, but possibly a reworked 2 from a left over 1822 punch. Much of this was considered as potentially borne from an urgency to create a 1823 Die when no 1823 punch existed.

The reworked 2 theory makes little sense at this time as the upper part of the 3 just doesn't seem to match the curl and outer curvature of any other 2 I have seen or can find a match for used during this time. Additionally, the 3 is so odd an angle and a shape, I can not imagine someone could rework a 2 to appear this way. Maybe, but I don't see it. Additionally, I don't think it was a broken 3 in the punch per se, as again, the geometry just doesn't seem to add up, even if I think to imagine splitting the die somehow.

What makes more sense to me is the date was entered onto the Broken 3 die from either individual number punches or from a separate 3 punch added to a defaced 182_ punch or some other combination. The 3 punch was crudely made and possibly incomplete and / or defective and was punched before the error was caught, and the punch either properly fixed, finished or discarded.

As Lance said earlier in this post ... "Can we get some decent light in here please!"

All of that said, everything appears to be speculation.

For Miss Patch (above) however, it is fairly obvious someone then tried to "fix" the 3.

My theory here is that the crafting a point punch was done with the intent of connecting the curves within the 3, leading them to a point. However, in practice, when used, the punch either slipped or was punched the wrong way, and became a protruding bulbous mess to the outside of the 3.

And with that, the very unusual mystery Die that would come to make the coins we call the Broken 3, became the mess of a reworked Die that strikes what we call the Patched 3 ... in many ways, even more of an abomination than where it started.

my 4 bits worth anyway

Todd - BHNC #242
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty.... Thanks for the reply. The logic is reasonable, could well be what happened. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file