Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Type Coin Collection Question

WALLEWALLE Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

Is anybody going to add the CROSSING THE DELAWARE and one of the 2022 WOMEN OF AMERICA quarters to there collection?

Comments

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the State Quarter series pretty much ended the concept of a Type Set to Date. If I did a type set again I would stop at 1964. So to answer your question, I would not.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, only if the PCGS Set Registry requires it for one or more of my various Type Sets. The last I checked, no red asterisks YET!

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WALLE said:
    Is anybody going to add the CROSSING THE DELAWARE and one of the 2022 WOMEN OF AMERICA quarters to there collection?

Not for me personally. Do you have a type set (7070) album? If you do, you can always made your own custom page to add those coins and any other modern coins you want.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see no reason to.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭

I'm doing a first year type set, and I got a 1999 Delaware quarter as the first year of the state/ATB series. If you included every reverse since 1999 in your type set, it becomes a State Quarter or ATB Quarter set. But now that I think about it, maybe Crossing the Delaware is the first year after the state/ATB programs...

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2021 5:49PM

The Crossing the Delaware Quarter is NOT part of the State Quarter program or ATB program!

My understanding is this is a one year design, to be replaced by Prominent American Women for four years - 2022 - 2025.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crossing The Delaware, yes. I already have the proof and I keep the circulated ones. Women of America coins? No. I'm not PC.

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

I have counted (and will count) all of the quarters in my type set. I buy one quarter proof set a year and put them in a Dansco (not a 7070), and it is a nice display and I count it as part of the type set.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2021 7:27PM

There is no reason for a type collector to keep up with all of the modern issues. There are too many of them, and they are nothing more than gimmicks at this point. If it is in the current Proof set, I’ll have it. Otherwise, forget it. The mint is killing the geese that have its gold eggs for many years with it excessive number of coins, excessive prices and distribution games.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2021 7:35PM

@BillJones said:
    There is no reason for a type collector to keep up with all of the modern issues. There are too many of them, and they are nothing more than gimmicks at this point. If it is in the current Proof set, I’ll have it. Otherwise, forget it. The mint is killing the geese that have its gold eggs for many years with it excessive number of coins, excessive prices and distribution games.

I gotta agree with that for sure! Seems like the mint is in competition with the post office. There's a stamp for everyday of the week!! The mint must be close behind with coins!!

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2021 8:03PM

Yes, of course. It's a new type, so it has to be counted. In fact, since I only decided that I would even be attempting a type set last month, whichever one of these finds it's way to me first will likely be the first official addition.

The last time I got something new for the set would have been when I got my first American Innovation dollar. I don't remember when that was.

For the multicoin series like this, I select one example as that type, either my favorite design or whatever one scans the best.

My type set is not stored together physically and never will be. It's tracked solely by scans on my website.

Edit: here is my Type Set as it sits now https://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/other_hobbies/numismatics/us-type-set/

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    WALLEWALLE Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for all your input.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will add one, since I like the design. Not as part of a set, just as a coin I like. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USSID17 said:

@BillJones said:

I gotta agree with that for sure! Seems like the mint is in competition with the post office. There's a stamp for everyday of the week!! The mint must be close behind with coins!!

The Post Office helped to ruin the stamp market with the glut of stamps they issued 30 to 40 years ago. Precious metal coins have a melt value floor under them, but collector fatigue is starting to become evident. When I was a dealer I saw almost zero collector interest in the presidential dollar series, which are made of base metals.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file