Home U.S. Coin Forum

Complete Detached Reeding From A Dime

I won this on Ebay back in 2014. It came from Fred Weinberg. I believe it was found in a roll of 1954 D dimes, if I remember correctly from my research. There was a thread (can't remember which forum) that talked about it. I always thought it was really neat and have never shared it before now. Pictures arent great but I included the flip that it came in and a dime for size comparison. It's pretty delicate and I'm not even sure it can be slabbed. Pretty cool though.

Comments

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice and very rare. I've only seen one other.

• USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Submit it with a letter from Fred.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could easily be faked by someone with the proper machinery.

All glory is fleeting.
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, how did that happen? I don't understand the mechanism.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to hear an explanation of how such a thing could happen. I understand the minting process, and also how the rims can have both metals 'smeared' together, but how, or why it would detach, I do not understand. Cheers, RickO

• USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hold on a minute, I'll call @FredWeinberg

• Off_Cent_erOff_Cent_er Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2021 2:01PM

@jmlanzaf said:
    Ok, how did that happen? I don't understand the mechanism.

@ricko said:
    I would like to hear an explanation of how such a thing could happen. I understand the minting process, and also how the rims can have both metals 'smeared' together, but how, or why it would detach, I do not understand. Cheers, RickO

Here is a screen capture from error ref

If I remember correctly this is a detached fin. I think it happens when the coin is ejected from the collar, and the fin gets sheared off. Coins can get strike through errors from partial pieces, but complete pieces like this are very rare.

Im not 100% sure how it happens so dont take my word for it. I just pulled this out of the safe after many years.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Off_Cent_er.... Thanks for that reference material... I am seeing how it could happen now... Cheers, RickO

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gosh, now I've seen two things today that I have never seen before.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never knew such a thing existed either.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone have a coin with the reeding ALMOST completely detached?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the first I've seen that. Cool 😎

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

A fin sheared off during ejection wouldn't be a uniform width, would it? Fins are longer where more metal is present and not uniform, aren't they?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great learning day. As of this post, this is the third thing that I knew absolutely nothing about before today.
    It is a very interesting find.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve never even heard of one of these before now. Unique in every way and very interesting. I can imagine how delicate it must be.
    Thank you for sharing 😎

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting - never saw/heard of one before.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Off_Cent_erOff_Cent_er Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

A quick google search for detatched reeding will bring up some coins where pieces of the reeding are partially detatched.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2021 9:47AM

@291fifth said:
    Could easily be faked by someone with the proper machinery.

Many years ago I made a similar comment. I can't remember what the coin was. There was so much speculation as to what could have possibly be the cause for the "error." It was obviously done purposely on a lathe. NO DOUBT. Needless to say, my take on it didn't go over very well. I've been around machine shops since I was a little kid. I've known some very talented machinists. You could very well be correct. It was my first thought also. Sometimes the most simple explanation is the best but most people are unfamiliar with tool making, machine lathes, etc.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

Hey, MS70! Where have you been? Is it just my imagination that you've been pretty quiet around here lately?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file