Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is your favorite design of the bald eagel on American coinage on the Quarter ,Half, Dollar?

HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

What design of the American bald eagle do you like the best on the reverse of quarters ,half and dollar coins?
As an collector who loves the art deco style of art, I love the Eagles that represents that time peroid of US coinage. Post your favorite design.

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

Comments

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

1801-1807

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arrows & Rays Eagle.

How can you not love an eagle with some "pizazz" bursting in his pose? B)

• HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    So, I live around plenty of bald eagles and the depiction that looks most like an actual eagle to me is the one on the Peace dollar:

I also like the one on the Lincoln commem quite a bit:

But, why settle for just one?

I agree 100% both examples are superb designs!

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great collage of reverses @BryceM

A little partial to these, but I like a lot of designs

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gobrecht Dollar eagle

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barber Half for me of course!

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gobrecht Dollar.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Walking Liberty Half dollar is my favorite eagle. That being said, there are several other eagles that are very attractive. The Double Eagle, the FE cent, the $5 dollar gold Indian.... Cheers, RickO

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2021 2:04PM

One of my favorite eagle designs:

• USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    So, I live around plenty of bald eagles and the depiction that looks most like an actual eagle to me is the one on the Peace dollar:

I also like the one on the Lincoln commem quite a bit:

But, why settle for just one?

Can't argue with that!!

• USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

• markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

The peace dollar and st Gaudens

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2021 2:57PM

I love the standing liberty quarter. The more I watch eagles, the more I appreciate how graceful they are in the air. Yes they can be fierce predators, but just flying around they are amazing. The standing livery quarter has the best flying eagle. That said, the flying eagle cent, Gobrecht dollar, and Sacajawea dollar all have great eagles, too.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

1984 Olympic

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits is that Palladium? Cool eagle

I like the Standing Liberty Quarter eagle a lot. Hard to choose just one as so many look great.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quarter

Half

Dollar

Mr_Spud

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lot of great examples posted here and a peace dollars is also a fav of mine. But if I had to vote, this one since the first time I saw it in a redbook.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

edited June 13, 2021 5:46PM

A little tid bit.....some may know ,some may not......One of my favorite Statesman ,as well inventor, printer, scientists, etc.....Ben Franklin actually wanted the "wild turkey" to be the countries symbol of the national bird!
    I'm a huge fan of Ben's except for that fact.....as I love turkey ,but not a representative of the country's national bird.

• boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

Schoolgirl Dollar pattern reverse

This one is pretty good, too IMO.

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2021 12:17AM

Add me as a 1984 Olympic Silver dollar fan. I only wish this had been the reverse for the silver eagle that came out a couple years later.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

@kiyote said:
    Add me as a 1984 Olympic Silver dollar fan. I only wish this had been the reverse for the silver eagle that came out a couple years later.

That's also one of my favorites.

• CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

This design, but on the half... half eagle, that is...

Got Crust....y gold?

@kiyote said:

Whats funny is I just pulled one of these from a proof set to have graded. And I do agree this design should of been used on another dollar coin. Looks even better in hand.

• FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HalfDimeDude said:

These two are huge favorites of mine, as their design is so advance of the time peroid they were released.
    Like the educational note series where the art on our money was unbelievable these two designs really are way ahead of their time.
    Leading America into the future of space and modern man.

These are the first two that came to mind for me.
    They’re both awesome.

edited June 14, 2021 4:03AM

@FranklinHalfAddict said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

These two are huge favorites of mine, as their design is so advance of the time peroid they were released.
    Like the educational note series where the art on our money was unbelievable these two designs really are way ahead of their time.

These are the first two that came to mind for me.
    They’re both awesome.

The Conn. 1935 both the obv. And rev. Are great designs. Art deco designs on our coinage was what made our money stand out. The Mercury dime, standing Liberty quarter, Peace dollar, what I find so cool is how advanced we were as a country looking forward to modern times.
    What is surprising to me is no one has mentioned the Franklin half. And that how they got around the eagel being on the reverse. Also to mention that that bird had a make over in what 56 or 57?
    Im sure do to its size ,as well not being a popular series .
    Thats a shame more collectors dont collect this series, as it is one that can be easy to fill a album with MS coins at a reasonable price.
    I beileve that if most YN's or new collectores collected Jeffersons, Roosevelts, and Franklin half dollars more would stay in collecting. As they would find enjoyment completing a series. And all 3 of the above are very easy to completed.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my favorite!

Now here's a design that no one has mentioned yet....the 2008 commemorative.

I remember the stir this coin caused when released....it was like a 50/50 split as to liking the designs and just hating them.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HalfDimeDude said:

Art Deco at its finest, on coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file