Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Planchet Fissures on Massachusetts Cent 1788

EddiEddi Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is quite a nice Post Colonial copper except for the planchet fissures seen on the reverse. As I understand it, these were as-made and are due to the planchet quality encountered in the early days.

In general, would such issues negatively affect the grade of such coins and possibly preclude them from grading cleanly?

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the evaluators determine they are part of the original planchet, it will not get a details grade...Not sure if it would have an effect on the overall grade. Would be honored to own such a coin.... fissures and all. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen planchet flaws much worse than this that straight graded.

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's one that has a combination of planchet issues and damage. The Massachusetts copper coinage was among the best made of all of the Confederation era coinage. Since finding one on good copper is easier than it is for other series, such as Connecticut or worse yet, Vermont, problems like this do lower the value.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file