Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

LCS purchase. Raw 1877-CC Dime.

skier07skier07 Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

I accidentally discovered a coin store pretty close to work. The store has mostly lower priced coins and this caught my attention with the CC mint mark. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2021 2:03PM

CC's are always cool!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

It all depends on the price.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2021 2:16PM

@291fifth said:
    It all depends on the price.

Okay I’ll give. $50.

The owner was an interesting character and I wanted to show some support.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a VF ground find to me. As above, depends on the price.

• Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

The dime does look a little porous, however the 77 cc has a few rare varieties,you may want to attribute the specimen.

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like it at $50. Sorry. It looks like a "details" coin to me.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

metal detector find, won't grade.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2021 7:11AM

The 1877-CC Dime is actually a common date.

When I was kid collector, I bought an 1877 Dime out of the Woolworth's coin album. When I got it home, I was surprised to note that it had a "CC" on the reverse. Since the coin was only a Good, it added $0.50 to the value. Today I guess it would be another $10 to $12 or so.

As for OP coin, it has VF sharpness, but the surfaces are rough. Grey Sheet numbers in the VG and Fine columns are $26 to $28.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

When I was kid collector, I bought an 1877 Dime out of the Woolworth's coin album. When I got it home, I was surprised to note that it had a "CC" on the reverse. Since the coin was only a Good, it added $0.50 to the value. Today I guess it would be another $10 to $12 or so.

As for OP coin, it has VF sharpness, but the surfaces are rough. Grey Sheet numbers in the VG and Fine columns are $26 to $28.

Bill, you need to go further with your explanation. I'm sure the OP does not even know what a "Grey Sheet" is. Are there different color sheets? Is Grey Sheet a dealer will pay price or a retail price?

bob ;)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@AUandAG said:

@BillJones said:

Bill, you need to go further with your explanation. I'm sure the OP does not even know what a "Grey Sheet" is. Are there different color sheets? Is Grey Sheet a dealer will pay price or a retail price?

bob ;)

You’re right, I never heard of the Grey Sheet. I’m using the Pink Sheet.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2021 1:13PM

The Greysheet is a dealer wholesale price guide. I have not bought any significant U.S. coins for about three years, so didn’t know if this is still true.

When I was active, a lot of collectors thought that they should able to buy coins at “bid.” That was true for run of the mill coins, but if you wanted the really nice material, you had to pay more. If you were looking for the really high end coins, those items were sold largely at the major auctions.

There is Bluesheet, which been folded into the Greysheet. Those are blind bids for coins certified by the major grading services. By “blind” I mean sight unseen purchases. You take the word of the gradng services.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appears to be no more than a $10-$15 coin to me, only for clear date and mintmark.The rough surfaces really hammers the monetary value of the piece, in my opinion.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like CC coins, but that premium is a bit too high.... If you continue to shop there, the dealer should cut you a break or two in the future.... so be prepared. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a bit confused, with over 2,000 posts the OP clearly has some experience in the field. I think it's OK for $50. For that price you would have to drop to a VG to get one in a holder. CC dimes are often poorly struck but this one is not so bad. It's not a coin for me but if you are into raw/details coins this one looks alright. Nice to support the local coin store, too.

• Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe that the OP ,as well as everyone else has posted something here that they wanted some sort of recognition as to how well they did. Let face it we all have done it one time or another.....no one on this forum or in this hobby can look me in the eye and state they haven't at times made good choices in their purchase.
    My advice to the OP it matters not what anyone else has to say....as long as you're happy with your purchase.
    Yes true....their post be they positive or negative , has no merit as long as you're happy with your purchase.
    "Google Yugo" one of the worst cars ever made...... and yet sales records in the Regan era, a Communist country sold 1050 cars a day in the United States! :o

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• Options

My OP didn’t have any hidden meanings or intentions and I wasn’t looking for any confirmation as to how well or poorly I did. My OP didn’t include anything about purchase prices. I was simply looking for feedback from board members who are much more knowledgeable than me regarding this series. Your feedback confirmed what I suspected when I was able to look at the coin in the comfort of my home.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file