Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So, what you say, is this a 1949-D/S Jefferson nickel?

leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think there are two types, right? Maybe this is another type. It doesn't show the popular die markers but has similar markers.
Right click to open in a new tab to see a much larger image/mintmark. :)

And here's someone's video on this variety. Mine looks similar to the one shown at the .27 to .33 mark
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=dcola&hsimp=yhs-001&type=xrd_rnewol_21_18_ssg02_ag25606&param1=1&param2=cat=web&sesid=2f06463a6e8ed1cbb6787e0a2d87fcfd&ip=50.83.73.85&b=Chrome&bv=86.0.4240.183&os=Windows-10&os_ver=10.0&pa=xmlred19&sid=32a9336301c39ba8f58d193dce4bef94&abid=21284&abg=25606&p=1949-d/s+jefferson+nickel#id=1&vid=1c280f9738d0c224e33777b039b9c4c1&action=view

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Comments

• Options
    blaircountycoinblaircountycoin Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Don't shoot the messenger. I say no. Super nice coin though, especially with the full steps!

• Options

@blaircountycoin said:
    Don't shoot the messenger. I say no. Super nice coin though, especially with the full steps!

Thanks, that was the initial reason for purchasing it. But than I took an interest in the mm due to the activity seen inside and outside the mm. Aren't there two types of this variety? One with the huge slash on mm and one without?

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's like all your nickels.......simply AWESOME!

• Options

@Hydrant said:

So.......is that a 'YES! :)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

+1

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon said:

@Hydrant said:

YES!

• Options
    blaircountycoinblaircountycoin Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Just looked at your pictures. Wow!

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I can't tell then why bother?
    Double dies and over dates that I can't see are just another overpriced coin.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not seeing it Leo ... but ... very nice 49-D!

... and great pictures too.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the 49 D/S this is what you need to see

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@leothelyon said:

@Hydrant said:

YES!

Well, I'd like to think so too.> @HalfDimeDude said:

For the 49 D/S this is what you need to see

I'm aware of the slash on the mm associated with this variety. But not all certified 1949-D/S have this slash mark.
    Reason why I was wondering if there were more than one type for this variety. I have not found any information to that effect. I have found photos of the mm without the slash mark on coins that are certified.

Leo

• Options
    edited June 13, 2021 5:03AM

In the 60 years of collecting Jefferson's nickels, I personally have not seen any certified without that slash. And have only seen specimens certified with the slash.
    I know Whiles, and Wexler arent doing any more attributions any longer, or I would refer you to one of them as the go to person.
    But after having every major variety ,as well as every Jefferson date and mm ever produced I very likely doupt that there are others....as again I've collected Jeffs since 1963 .
    Many old school wouldn't touch that variety unless it had the slash over the mm.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice nickel.... and I do see the traces that make you question it. That being said, I am not a Jefferson expert - or even a collector of these nickels. So cannot go beyond 'I see something.' Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Very nice nickel.... and I do see the traces that make you question it. That being said, I am not a Jefferson expert - or even a collector of these nickels. So cannot go beyond 'I see something.' Cheers, RickO

Ricko
    If you notice the small die chip in the op image is in the area in question it isnt the omm.
    Study the lower image of the mm youll see the S lower loop is visible. And also notice that the S isnt at a 90 degree,the punch is off counter clockwise ,and the lower loop of the S is now at 5 to 5:30k not at a 6 oclock position.
    I still have a roll of what I believed to be the 54 D/S variety. And they at first appear to be, but they are die chips not an underlaying mm.
    As a variety collector over the years I cannot tell you how many times I have found what I believed to be a variety or another variation of the variety that were not as what they were believed to be. I have as well have found new or a variation of a variety . In many different denominations. Yes the op's specimen is very nice but it isnt by the standards I've used over the last 50 plus years a 49 D/S variety. Keep searching!
    Anacs who does attribute varieties more so than the other 2 TPG's will put on the label the variety as long as its in the CPG. However they cannot always be trusted with recognizing the variety. I had 2 Buffalo 1938 D buffalos sent in to them both high grades a 66 and a 67.
    Both were the D/D variety. There are 9 varieties of the 38 D/D and 1 omm recognized. I could atttibute any of the ten without a doupt in hand. They refused to put on the slab the correct attribution, which is funny as I paid to have it done, and there's more D/D or D/S buffalos out there then there are buffalos that are a regular 38 D! Not a rpm or omm.
    With the older go to professionals either dying off ,or just can not do the work any longer I wonder whom will to place them?
    I have also realize that the variety market has loss value, going back over the years looking at values 10 , 20 years ago as to present date.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HalfDimeDude.... Thanks for the information. I know these varieties - on virtually all coin types - can be tricky. I enjoy seeing them - and even have a few. But I am master of none. Thanks again...Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @HalfDimeDude.... Thanks for the information. I know these varieties - on virtually all coin types - can be tricky. I enjoy seeing them - and even have a few. But I am master of none. Thanks again...Cheers, RickO

No worries it all a learning process.... last week I tried to sell at a medium-sized show an 1943 P ms 64 double eye Jefferson. Not 1 taker out of 30 dealer's
    Reminds me of about 5 years back no one wanted to buy any Franklin halfs!
    Its funny how the trends vary.

• Options

@pursuitofliberty said:
    I'm not seeing it Leo ... but ... very nice 49-D!

... and great pictures too.

$39.99 is what I paid for the certified coin.> @HalfDimeDude said:

@ricko said:

No worries it all a learning process.... last week I tried to sell at a medium-sized show an 1943 P ms 64 double eye Jefferson. Not 1 taker out of 30 dealer's
    Reminds me of about 5 years back no one wanted to buy any Franklin halfs!
    Its funny how the trends vary.

I'm learning as well. And I don't want to sound like I'm some wishy-washy, wanna be right, pain in the arse..... lol. My apologies if that seems to be the case. I've tried producing better photos but macro photography........is another process I'm going through. But until I can produce a better picture..... I know my intensions are moot.
    I want to thank HalfDimeDude for taking the time to add his expertise and experience to this thread. It's been very helpful.
    I realize what I'm presenting is not the popular known variety. The coin does have an early die state strike and this could be the reason it's gone undetected being that later die states may not show what I think I'm seeing, the upper loop of an S. It starts out strong than fades turning up. And than there's what I termed, a biscuit like image inside of the D, slanted, 2-3 lines...what made those?
    But I would rather have the more dramatic well known variety with the slash marks......someday, hopefully from the wild.

Aside from the above, here are a couple of coins I think are very unique and yo'all might like and so that I haven't been wasting your time. I can't take any credit for finding these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0fkCnFqkoU&t=1s

Leo

• Options

No expert here...just an old student who learns something new every day. One needs a good photo set up to do macro photography. Even using my scope I cannot achieve the images I would like to post.
    I am a variety hunter who has seen both feast and famine when it comes to varieties.
    I have made some money, as well loss some!
    However like every coin the value is only what someone else is willing to pay.
    Its unfortunate that nickels don't hold the values like other series do.
    A 1950 D in the mid sixties was worth more then , than it is now.
    But never the less I enjoy the hunt mors so than filling holes in an album. At the end of the day thats all that counts.
    As a side note when I got married , my folks asked that all of my stuff left with me....including bags of nickels that totaled enough to pay off my car! Even though I had not lived at home in years, the years of roll and bag searching I never seem to return the coins,back to the bank. :)

• Options

Check out this guy's photography skills. Maybe he can help.
    https://easyzoom.com/image/239899/album/0/4?mode=manage

• Options

Ya know Leo
    With a stereo scope with proper lighting we all could take great shots. Those scopes really deliver great details. I am still amazed of the artifacts found on coins. One of my favorite varieties is MPD's . The thing most do not realize is that you need to train your eye to search out the things that are right in front of your eyes to see. I do understand that some just dont have the abilities to see such.
    People often ask me how do you remember all those varieties on so many series.
    True part is memorizing, however like fishing one needs to search out the structure the fish are holding in order to hook up.
    Once you have trained your eyes to search out not just the details, the surfaces, the denticals, the hiding places one learns quick to not just look at a specimen, but to study the coins searching the specimen for a little something extra.
    It also helps to be knowledgeable of the series and varieties that maybe possible.
    Lastly it was what just about a 100 years that a Mercury dime was indeed a ddo!
    They are out there.... and with a little paients sooner or later you will find something a little extra meat on the bone!
    As a cherry picker nothing more is so exciting than to find a variety in the wild. The $39 paid for your specimen was well worth the chance , it wasn't what you wanted to hear....but it is a very nice Jefferson nickel
    And would add plenty of value to your set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file