Home Sports Talk

The 2021 Euro 2020

DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

So all 4 of us footie fans can contribute, ha! Who do you like?

Turkey looked bad yesterday.

I think Group F is the hardest, hopefully my Germans can advance but France is a thorn in our side and Ronaldo can always be a game winner with Portugal. Group B could be entertaining, E as well.

Comments

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Germany’s biggest thorn in its side is its coach. They will get much better after Hansi Flick takes over.

Kimmich and Goretzka are better suited in the midfield against strong clubs like France and Portugal because they both put in a lot more running and defensive pressure than JLs tandem of Kroos and Gundogan. Sule is very fast and should start, but not sure he will.

Werner and Sane should never see the field. It should be Gnabry, Havertz, and Muller all tournament long.

The team that wins it is the team that wants it bad enough. These guys are physically and mentally exhausted.

I would expect Spain to be rested and hungry. France and Germany are pretty fresh.

Teams like England and Belgium have a lot of tired boys.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2021 10:23AM

True on fresh/not so fresh legs. I expect Spain to look rested/good. And Flick can't get here soon enough.

Just got done fixing a short in my jeep and walked into hearing them talk about Eriksen dropping on the field during the Den/Fin game. Hope he's ok. Heard he's alive and responsive so that's good.

edited June 12, 2021 11:17AM

Let’s hope it’s something like the ref in the Gonzaga game who passed out from a blot clot. Perhaps from Covid.

Heart attack/cardiac arrest but stable. Good news!

Belgium looking strong, as expected.

Never saw a heart attack for a player during a game.

I think Duke or Virginia would give Belgium a tougher go than Russia.

Holland game was fun to watch. Will watch Spain-Sweden today, and France-Germany tomorrow.

edited June 14, 2021 7:06AM

I might have to have the Poland game on for a bit to see if Lewi can keep his goal scoring fire going. Dude was an absolute machine for Bayern the past year/season.

Will be cheering for my partial roots today and hoping Sweden can beat Spain. And then tomorrow the Germans...always the Germans.

His dad died when he was 16, and his Polish team cut him at 17. Said he cried when his mom picked him up. Now he’s the best there is.

Action packed 0-0 draw between Sweden and Spain. Fun to watch.

It better be Müller, Gnabry, and Havertz up front tomorrow. To be honest Musiala is a better first sub over Sane and Werner.

I bet we see Werner, been on a good run.

• ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

The Spain/Sweden game was weird. I didn’t watch it but in the 60’ Spain owned 85% of the possession. 85!

Yeah the possession was all Spain. Couple of us watched it, they couldn't get it in the goal.

Spain doesn’t have a quality finisher.
    Their Achilles heel.

Poland does, but they can’t get him the ball.

Hungary looking very Hungary for a draw against Portugal.

Can’t wait for France-Germany.
    Would love to see Coman or Mbappe vs. Kimmich.

Sule has to start with his speed or JL is truly insane.

Three late goals for Portugal.

Hungary looked good first half and most of the second.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:
    Hungary looked good first half and most of the second.

You sensed that goal was coming. I hate the way Portugal plays

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

What a GREAT first half. Unlucky for Hummels, but he had to play the ball. Mbappe was right behind him if he didn’t.

Mbappe and Kante' look dangerous 100% of the time

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Hummels just made up for it. What a fantastic timed tackle on Mbappe

m

edited June 15, 2021 2:07PM

Great, great game. No way you take out Havertz and Gnabry unless they are tired.

Benzema touched the ball maybe three times all game.

It was basically a 0-0 draw with Germany having more possession but no shots on target.

Neuer didn’t have much to do either.

Great chess match. Surprised how easily Germany dominated the middle. Did Kante see the ball much ?
    62 to 38 percent possession advantage to Germany and 10-4 shot advantage.

Very impressed how Germany was clinical except in the final third.

I can't see the Germany good points over the reigning world champs play today. Faster and pressed all day. Slow pass control will not win over early 20s aggressive France, Spain would agree.

Germany looked slow. Germany rarely threatened. Germany looked uninterested at times, uninspired at others and unimaginative the balance. Germany needs to make a change at manager and add speed.

France looked like the much better team with better athletes

m

edited June 16, 2021 12:52PM

Expect Finland and Wales to get points today. Will only watch the 3pm game which should be a close one. Can Italy get points at home against a team that tied Spain and Germany a few months ago.

edited June 16, 2021 10:54AM

Had Turkey/Wales on during some meetings. Turkey just didn't have anything again. And if the Swiss win they're out.

@DrBuster said:
    Had Turkey/Wales on during some meetings. Turkey just didn't have anything again. And if the Swiss win they're out.

Bale even with the penalty gaffe was the best player on the pitch by a country mile. Man can James sprint and Ramsey time runs

m

And I like to think I had something to do with it

This isn't your Dads Azure team.

m

edited June 16, 2021 12:47PM

Been watching quite a few games, and they all have one thing in common. The world is starving for quality #9s.

Maybe 5 in Europe at the most, and no more than that in South America.

And no one even comes close to Gerd Müller, who averaged over 1 goal per game for West Germany.

No one today even comes close to holding his jock on that one. Ronaldo comes the closest I believe with 0.60 goals per game for country.

@DrBuster said:
    So all 4 of us footie fans can contribute, ha!

Ha! Spot on so far

m

First Zidane, now Ramos. Kroos and Modric are getting older. Hazards health. More questions than answers right now at Real Madrid.

My wife was watching Italy/Switz so that almost always guarantees an Italian win. They looked good.

Be interesting to see if the Dutch can win the group today. They have a hard time winning two in a row. I think their good young players should make a decent run at the next World Cup. They need to advance at this euro to gain confidence. Frankie de Jong is a joy to watch.

That is the game to watch today although it will be interesting to see how Denmark plays against Belgium. Hopefully they have shaken off the Eriksen event.

Wow what a dream start for the Danes and a remarkable tribute to Eriksen at the 10 minute mark

m

Yeah both were nice. Belgium is a good 2nd half team so we'll see if Denmark can hold.

@DrBuster said:
    Yeah both were nice. Belgium is a good 2nd half team so we'll see if Denmark can hold.

What a great match

m

I thought they were gonna tie it back up there at the end, couple nice chances.

One of my friends flew from Cali to Copenhagen for the match. He's Danish.

A couple random pics he sent me

That's my boy Soren!

Fans getting ready to watch on the big screen

Nice! A good friend of mines brother is taking his sons and some other folks to Portugal/France next week. Totally jelly

Hungary. Like a 1st half boss. Two games in a row.

France is a very good team, but an unfortunate touch by Hummels in their first game, and an unfortunate touch by Orban in their second game leads to both their goals.

Nothing of beauty. Nothing convincing. They look uninspired so far.

Germany needs to bring it today, no lolligagging, do some hard running or else Portugal is going to run laps on them.

I caught the 2nd half of Hungary/France. Hungary did look good.

Goretzka in for Gundogan I hope and do not sub the front line.

I would sit Kroos and switch Kimmich in his spot and Sule at back right.

Good play after giving Ronaldo a pop. Insane 2 own goals though against Portugal but I'll take it. They said first time ever in Euro play in the same game, crazy.

Let’s see if JL does the smart thing and switch to a 4-4-2 and take Müller out in the 2nd half to protect the 2-1 lead.

Gnabry and Havertz up front.

He must see how exposed they are at the back.

Against Hungary.

Neuer

Ginter. Sule. Hummels. Rudiger

Kimmich Kroos. Goretzka. Gossens

Gnabry. Havertz

This 4-4-2. is Germany’s best squad.

Gundogan plays well for club, but not for country.

• Sgt_DSgt_D Posts: 85 ✭✭

For the first time in my life.. I've become addicted to soccer with this EUFA thing going on. Always hated it but am learning the game recently.