Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1996 Gold Eagle Counterstamp with Western Reserve Club 75th Anniversary

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought this was pretty cool and with only 2 struck on $5 gold eagles for the 75th anniversary of Western Reserve
Numismatic Club.

I thought it goes nicely with this unique die trial of the counterstamp.
The information I found out on the piece below is:
1794-1994 1st US Silver Dollar Gallery Mint Museum GMM w/ Misc. Die Trial Strikings. Irregular diameter due to counterstamps, approximately 40.5mm (1.6 inch) diameter. This is a blank planchet for the GMM commemorative of the First U.S. Silver Dollar. The edge is lettered: BICENTENNIAL OF THE FIRST U.S. SILVER DOLLAR. Struck many times with the obverse and reverse dies for the 75th Anniversary of the Western Reserve Numismatic Club (WRNC, located in Cleveland, OH and founded in 1921) several reverse dies for GMM copies of a U.S. large cent. Finally, three impressions of an RL (possibly Ron Landis) die. This piece if from the collection of the late Rich Wroblewski, who was president of WRNC at the time of the 75th anniversary counterstamps (1996). Mr. Wroblewski handled the complete process of obtaining the counterstamps for the club.

That also ties in nicely with the 1971 SC 50C Western Reserve AG Heraldic Art Medal PCGS MS68

Comments

• Options
    RedstoneCoinsRedstoneCoins Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

The art medal at the bottom is great!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2021 3:35AM

@coinsarefun said:
    I thought this was pretty cool and with only 2 struck on $5 gold eagles for the 75th anniversary of Western Reserve
    Numismatic Club.
    I thought it goes nicely with this unique die trial of the counterstamp.

Great pieces Stef! There are a lot of wonderful WRNC pieces out there and these are two of them! Your Gallery Mint Museum collection continues to amaze!

Nice to see one slabbed by ATS as well!

The information I found out on the piece below is:
    1794-1994 1st US Silver Dollar Gallery Mint Museum GMM w/ Misc. Die Trial Strikings. Irregular diameter due to counterstamps, approximately 40.5mm (1.6 inch) diameter. This is a blank planchet for the GMM commemorative of the First U.S. Silver Dollar. The edge is lettered: BICENTENNIAL OF THE FIRST U.S. SILVER DOLLAR. Struck many times with the obverse and reverse dies for the 75th Anniversary of the Western Reserve Numismatic Club (WRNC, located in Cleveland, OH and founded in 1921) several reverse dies for GMM copies of a U.S. large cent. Finally, three impressions of an RL (possibly Ron Landis) die. This piece if from the collection of the late Rich Wroblewski, who was president of WRNC at the time of the 75th anniversary counterstamps (1996). Mr. Wroblewski handled the complete process of obtaining the counterstamps for the club.

Nice to know Rich Wroblewski was in charge of the counterstamps. The 1996 edition was struck on many different pieces so it's great to know a bit more of the history of these. I've picked up a number of the more standard counterstamped pieces the years. One I wish I bought but missed as the underbidder was done on a Bob McNamara Heraldic Art medal. It's great to see these rare pieces.

The dies were done by Ron Landis which you can see on this screenshot from Verne Walrafen's GMMNut website. Given this, I'm fairly certain the RL counterstamp is from Ron!

PCGS slabs these. See more here: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1012620/pcgs-slabbing-western-reserve-numismatic-club-counterstamps

• Options
    edited June 8, 2021 4:06AM

Great find!

It would be great to revive the GMMNut website. There's so much great information Verne compiled there.

I'd love to do it, but it seems like I need to retire first!

There's speculation that at least the obverse die still exists and is being used to strike coins as a number of ASEs have appeared with uniface counterstamps.

• Options

By the way, @keets loves these pieces as wel so I hope he chimes in :)

• Options

@Zoins There's speculation that at least the obverse die still exists and is being used to strike coins as a number of ASEs have appeared with uniface counterstamps.
    I asked Ron Landis about this very thing. That’s why I asked him before I purchased mine. Even tho’ it’s graded. He said when the dies are fully paid for the clubs/person maintains ownership.
    So, it is entirely possible that one of the club members have done it on their own.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

I figured this would be a better thread to post a couple of my most recent acquisitions.

They will probably get lost in the general newp thread, so here is a repost.

Z

One of the side benefits of insomnia . . . . . . . .

. . . . . is getting on eBay before their morning "what's new in your searches" emails go out. If you can get to the site before those emails, you've got half a chance at scoring some really rare pieces. Once the masses get the alert, stuff like this is usually gone.

If I hadn't been sleepless last week, I never would have scored the following.

I know they weren't there when I went to bed some four or five hours earlier. I guarantee they weren't there 10 minutes later before I took my regular evening "bio-break" . . . . . .

St. Eligius and the numis-gods have really been smiling on my lately. This is the gleaming tip of the iceberg above water. I have more arriving, but nothing as exciting as these.

Presenting my newest acquisitions (sellers photos because I am too excited and impatient to wait to take my own):

Ron Landis' 1996 Western Reserve Numismatic Counterstamped Morgan Dollar and Standing Liberty Quarter, complete with original cases . . . .

I am exceedingly happy that the seller was a fairly lousy photographer. These look WAY better in the hand than in the photos above.

Maybe I'm overly impressed with these, but I never believed a podunk exonumia bottom feeder like myself could ever add something this nice to my collection.

Steph, this is what I have been hinting about for the past few days.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:

Maybe I'm overly impressed with these, but I never believed a podunk exonumia bottom feeder like myself could ever add something this nice to my collection.

Steph, this is what I have been hinting about for the past few days.

Z

Simply Beautiful and super jealous!!

• Options

@ZoidMeister said:
    Presenting my newest acquisitions (sellers photos because I am too excited and impatient to wait to take my own):
    [...]

These are awesome and you are not a bottom feeder! You've been adding very impressive pieces to your collection!

That Standing Liberty Quarter is a knock out!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister .... Very nice additions... Years ago, when I used to frequent ebay, I found the early morning to be quite fruitful. That was long before ebay morphed into the giant it is today. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Since we are on the subject I guess I'll add my 2 new pickups here as well......Maybe others will post there's too.

<
    Now I have enough to start a wallpaper.....at the very top is the first medal of Cleveland.
    and working its way down through the anniversaries

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2021 5:50PM

@Zoins said:

The dies were done by Ron Landis which you can see on this screenshot from Verne Walrafen's GMMNut website. Given this, I'm fairly certain the RL counterstamp is from Ron!

There is a similar (not identical) counterstamp pictured on the www.SmallDollars.com website, so I am sure the "RL" is from Ron Landis.

http://www.smalldollars.com/dollar/add004.html

• Options

@JBK said:

@Zoins said:

There is a similar (not identical) counterstamp pictured on the www.SmallDollars.com website, so I am sure the "RL" is from Ron Landis.

http://www.smalldollars.com/dollar/add004.html

Thanks for the reminder @JBK .

I just can't help myself. Here are a couple Ron Landis counterstamped small dollars I've been fortunate enough to acquire.

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

But back to the topic at hand.

I need to get my own photos, but I was also fortunate to have added this one to the two above.

Z

• Options

@coinsarefun said:
    The Kennedy one is very cool but I also really like the slq.

I'll get some of my own (better) photos taken and post them on your alternate thread.

Z

• Options

I owe the acquisition of this one to my forum "guardian angel" and little sis . . . . . .

My 1921 Morgan $1 with the 100th Anniversary of The Western Reserve Numismatic Club counter strike by Ron Landis of Landis Studios.

I'm so excited about this one I'll probably cross post it across a few threads.

Z

• Options

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2022 1:43PM

Here's mine, which, according to the list, is unique! It's graded NGC MS64. Photos are mine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file