Home Sports Talk
Options

Tell us something different about yourself.

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is a little quirky thing that makes you the individual that you are.

For example, I really don’t like the numbers 6 and 2. Whenever I see my online banking I will transfer funds from account to account just so that those two numbers disappear from my balance.

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to smoke, but I quit and now I chew nicotine gum. I love it, I'm chewing it right now.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be back later with real answers. I'm inserting this clip because it almost immediately came to mind. IMO, a very funny scene. https://youtu.be/TxaLMpTw8-U

• Options

My father invented the question mark. Lol

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Besides coin and card collecting, I also enjoy reading and learning about the various sciences.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Besides coin and card collecting, I also enjoy reading and learning about the various sciences.

What are the chances that there are galaxies just like ours that we nor they can reach ?

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@stevek said:

What are the chances that there are galaxies just like ours that we nor they can reach ?

Very close to 100%.

However from what I know, i doubt very much that inter-galactic travel will ever be possible.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m addicted to chicken. Seriously. I could eat it every single day and some weeks I do. :)

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I’m addicted to chicken. Seriously. I could eat it every single day and some weeks I do. :)

Hello Wade Boggs

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

@erikthredd said:

Hello Wade Boggs

I make Wade look like a part time user. ;)

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

here is something that most posters here would have never guessed about me, I am a big Tom Brady fan.

I mean really. I don't talk about it much, but I really, really like Tommy.

Most people would never even know that about me.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

Now ya went and did it. Coming soon in this thread will be dozens of gifs from DD about chickens.

😉

• Options
    edited June 2, 2021 8:38AM

I'm a sucker for those lavish heart warming musicals such as My Fair Lady, The Music Man, The Sound of Music, and others.

i'm ashamed of myself, but it feels good to finally confess it. 😯

• Options

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

Now ya went and did it. Coming soon in this thread will be dozens of gifs from DD about chickens.

😉

I don't want to hijack the thread, so we'll go with this one.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

😉

I don't want to hijack the thread, so we'll go with this one.

Ali never had a jab that good. LOL

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to take long walks after a rainstorm and look at the rainbows.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

True Romance is my favorite movie.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@stevek said:
    I'm a sucker for those lavish heart warming musicals such as My Fair Lady, The Music Man, The Sound of Music, and others.

i'm ashamed of myself, but it feels good to finally confess it. 😯

Been to a great many; highly recommend Hamilton for a listen or viewing. Les Miserables is fantastic.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@Goldenage said:
    My son was Gavroche in Les Mis when he was young.

It only goes to show what little people can do 😉

• Options

@Goldenage said:
    My son was Gavroche in Les Mis when he was young.

Good looking kid. He could be a child star.

Just find the right agent. 😉

• Options
  • Options

@LandrysFedora said:
    I am a big time dog person. Me and my wife have 6 rescued fur babies. They are our life. Everything revolves around them. Me and my wife just live in their world at our house. Heck our house we just built was built on 2.5 acres with them in mind. I prefer dogs to most people nowadays. They are timeless companions who give us unconditional love after the horrible starts they had in their lives before they were rescued.

Alright, another confession. I sometimes watch those Dodo channel videos on Youtube.

LandrysFedora probably has watched some of those.

I am now totally humiliated. 🐕

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@LandrysFedora said:
    I am a big time dog person. Me and my wife have 6 rescued fur babies. They are our life. Everything revolves around them. Me and my wife just live in their world at our house. Heck our house we just built was built on 2.5 acres with them in mind. I prefer dogs to most people nowadays. They are timeless companions who give us unconditional love after the horrible starts they had in their lives before they were rescued.

Alright, another confession. I sometimes watch those Dodo channel videos on Youtube.

LandrysFedora probably has watched some of those.

I am now totally humiliated. 🐕

Yeah Steve, I'm guilty as charged also on those Dodo videos. lol

• Options

Ok. What’s a dodo video ?

• Options

@Goldenage said:

For example, I really don’t like the numbers 6 and 2. Whenever I see my online banking I will transfer funds from account to account just so that those two numbers disappear from my balance.

I also have a quirky number thing going. I am not superstitious about the number 13 itself but its when a number comes up that adds up to 13, for example if my trucks mileage is 24,150.1 when I come home I will drive back down the block a few houses to get that .1 out of there to .2 and make it 14 in the process!

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:
    I organize and compete in Rubik's cube speed solving competitions. My fastest time at home is 12.66 seconds - not even remotely close to the times that the fastest people get but I have a great time anyway. This was the first time I broke the 20-second barrier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlY2_Ulgqc0

That's pretty interesting. I don't know anything about Rubik's Cubes other than the bit I recall from being a kid a long time ago. Yours seemed to spin easier than I recall and I saw it had rounded center pieces. Are these built specifically for speed?

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watermelon is my all time favorite food, I go to the gym nearly every day, I like to bike, play video games, poker, chew nicotine gum like it’s going out of style, I’m a big gun guy, I also collect vintage football cards.

• Options
    edited June 2, 2021 4:13PM

I collect boxing cards, I search ebay all day, every day, it's the first thing I do when I get up, and the last thing I do before I go to bed. On my smartphone, I've got tabs set up for ebay italy, germany, france, netherlands, england, philippines, australia, canada and united states, that way I can get to the different country ebay sites faster because a lot of cards I look for were made in different countries.

• Options

And also ebay spain.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:

@Goldenage said:

I also have a quirky number thing going. I am not superstitious about the number 13 itself but its when a number comes up that adds up to 13, for example if my trucks mileage is 24,150.1 when I come home I will drive back down the block a few houses to get that .1 out of there to .2 and make it 14 in the process!

You're weird. Just kidding.
    During the work day I try not to check the time on my phone when it is 8:13, 9:13, 10:13 etc.
    If I do it means the work day will be slow and grueling because I jinxed it.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

Ok, here we go, I am stuck in a cycle where I go to bed around 8:45 every night and I get up around 3:30 every morning.

• Options
    edited June 2, 2021 4:29PM

Also I want to buy a Henry 22 rifle, western style lever action, and pretend Indians are attacking my house.

Edit- Sorry, pretend native Americans are attacking my house. But dressed in 1860's 70's period clothing.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

@Goldenage said:
    Ok. What’s a dodo video ?

I see them on my Facebook feed but i believe they have a Youtube channel as well. They are usually 8 to 10 minute videos about dogs and cats mostly but not limited to them. Videos are usually heart warming stories of a rescue/recovery story in a nutshell of an animal on the brink of death and the miraculous road to recovery.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

The Dodo videos are great. 3-5 minute videos of some poor dog or cat getting rescued or rehabilitated? Good stuff!

• Options

@Darin said:
    Also I want to buy a Henry 22 rifle, western style lever action, and pretend Indians are attacking my house.

You'll shoot your eye out kid! (Christmas Story) lol

• Options

I also drink coca cola and water all day long like it's going out of style. I'll rotate between the two, coke and water, all day long.

• Options

@Darin said:

Edit- Sorry, pretend native Americans are attacking my house. But dressed in 1860's 70's period clothing.

• Options

And every day for lunch I'll have a turkey sandwich, every single day. I just love turkey sandwiches.

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

@Darin said:

LOL. I did think about Ralphie while I was typing that post.
    Actually I wouldn't really pretend Indians are attacking, but i live in the country and from time to time
    have to shoot a varmit. Had to shoot a rabid skunk several weeks ago.
    Just love the looks of the Henry western style rifle. Would just like to target practice with it and shoot varmits. :)

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2021 4:40PM

@AFLfan said:

@Tabe said:
    I organize and compete in Rubik's cube speed solving competitions. My fastest time at home is 12.66 seconds - not even remotely close to the times that the fastest people get but I have a great time anyway. This was the first time I broke the 20-second barrier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlY2_Ulgqc0

That's pretty interesting. I don't know anything about Rubik's Cubes other than the bit I recall from being a kid a long time ago. Yours seemed to spin easier than I recall and I saw it had rounded center pieces. Are these built specifically for speed?

Yeah. There's been a million advances in cubes since the original Rubik's. There's springs in them now that allow the centers to flex and, as you mentioned, the centers are a little rounded. Both of those things allows you to make turns without the sides being perfectly aligned, greatly speeding things up. There's also magnets inside the pieces so when you do make a turn, the layers align together perfectly, making your next turn much easier. And, yes, they are also waaaaay faster than the cubes you remember. (I still have one of mine and it's nearly impossible to turn it with any speed at all).

The competitions have up to 17 different events at them - different puzzles, like the original 3x3 in my video, 2x2, 4x4, 5x5, 6x6, and 7x7. There's a pyramid-shaped puzzle, the pyraminx, that you might remember from the 1980s (it was very popular back then, too). There's a couple more cubic puzzles with weird turning that I can't really describe in print. And then there's a 12-sided puzzle where every face is a pentagon called the megaminx. And lastly another puzzle Rubik invented called the Clock, which clock faces on it. And there's different events using those puzzles - blindfolded solving of the 3x3, 4x4, and 5x5. And "multiblind" where you try solve as many 3x3s blindfolded in an hour as you can. And one-handed solving of the 3x3. And then there's one called "fewest moves" where you write out a solution to the cube using the fewest moves possible.

The world records in these events are incredibly impressive. 3.47 for the 3x3, for example. Or 15.50 seconds for blindfolded - that's the time to memorize the cube AND to solve it. For multiblind, the record is 59 out of 60 cubes solved successfully in an hour. That involves memorizing ALL of the cubes at once and THEN solving them while blindfolded.

Unfortunately, haven't had any competitions in 16 months because of 'rona but they're starting back up again and I hope to be competing again in the next few months.

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

@Darin said:

Red Ryder, carbine action, stock with a compass and this thing that tells time!!!!

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@Darin said:

Red Ryder, carbine action, stock with a compass and this thing that tells time!!!!

You guys are good! :p

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

I think Gomer Pyle is the most annoying tv character ever created. I’m sure Jim Neighbors is a heck of a nice guy, and he sings great.

• Options

@Goldenage said:
    I think Gomer Pyle is the most annoying tv character ever created. I’m sure Jim Neighbors is a heck of a nice guy, and he sings great.

I go with Vicki Lawrence in Mama's Family. Just the voice, it grates on me, can't stand THAT VOICE!

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options

I hate eggs, I've never eaten a egg in my life, and never will!

• Options

@Goldenage said:

Steve Urkel from Family Matters was a very annoying character too.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

How do you know you hate them if you've never tried them?

• Options

@Tabe said:

@doubledragon said:

How do you know you hate them if you've never tried them?

Can't stand the smell of them. They stink!