Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2005 D ocean view nickel improperly annealed?

mok13mok13 Posts: 105 ✭✭✭
edited June 1, 2021 1:24AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi,

I have this nickel sorted out and am trying to confirm or not if it is improperly annealed?
Copper color on obv and rev
Weight 4,96 g
The edge has regular nickel color....

Henri, From the French Riviera with love

Comments

• Options
    SnapsSnaps Posts: 187 ✭✭✭✭

Can't be a missing clad layer. Nickels are mixture of 75% copper and 25% nickel, no clad layer. So, your nickel is either environmental damage or possibly improperly annealed.

• Options

you're right ! sorry
    I changed topic tittle.
    thx

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The nickel appears to have environmentally induced tarnish.... No numismatic premium (except perhaps for an uninformed collector of coins with tarnish ;) ) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a mis-annealed planchet

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is one I have you can compare it to.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2021 10:36AM

Agree on the environmental toning as @ricko stated

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Thx for your help
    Here other pictures to be sure I’m not missing anything

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

That color is pretty common damage from being stored in a Littleton folder.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options

all right !
    thank you :smile:

• Options

Good job noticing the difference between a normal nickel and a toned or perhaps improperly annealed one. I have quite a few quarters and some black beauty nickels and it's difficult to tell whether they're sintered or what on the quarters but I read an interesting article in 2010 that Mike Diamond wrote the US Mint about evidence that effectively proved that the copper in nickels can migrate to the surface in varying degrees, some being a very thick layer of copper which is very brittle and breaks off the surface quite easily and on others it migrates to the surface in a much lighter degree and the director of the mint stated that it depends on how long the planchettes are left overheating in the annealing oven and how some can be exposed to oxygen in the oven as well. Very technical indeed and I have a high degree of respect for the knowledge gained by error experts like Mike D and Fred W and so many others that have a good 30+ years of experience over myself and I've been studying for a few years and I thought I knew quite a bit until...
    But keep looking. One thing I know is that if a coin looks different than the majority of the same ones there's a good possibility of it being an error and if not it's still an interesting one to look at. Much thanks to the experts for helping educate and put up with the newbies like me!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file