Home U.S. Coin Forum

US Mint Identification

tizofthetizofthe Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

I have several unopened boxes from the US Mint. Is there a way of telling. What coin is inside without opening it. Anytype of ID on the outside of the box.
Have approx 15 boxes and know several are the high dollar such as 2008 with 2007 rev, v75 ASE etc.
Any help appreciated

Transactions..
wondercoin, duffman,PiecesOfMe, Smittys, LogPotato, Bumanchu, Tydye, segoja, Harry779, FullCameo, Twosidestoeverycoin, jmdm1194, rkfish, drewsef, Chrischampeo, Kaelasdad, Ahrensdad, Dabigkahuna, Barbwire, sebrown, mkman123, Gerard

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think at one time they put order numbers on the outside. if that is not the case, I don't think there is much hope

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is unopened how do you know it is the 08 rev 07 vice the normal 08? I would send them all in.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2021 3:16PM

Best to write down on the box when you receive them but if not see post below if you ordered direct.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tizofthe said:
    I have several unopened boxes from the US Mint. Is there a way of telling. What coin is inside without opening it. Anytype of ID on the outside of the box.
    Have approx 15 boxes and know several are the high dollar such as 2008 with 2007 rev, v75 ASE etc.
    Any help appreciated

If you bought them from the US Mint, go to your order history, the tracking numbers tell you what is in the box without opening.

My order history goes back all the way to Feb 2008, so it will give you the info you need. This is great for First Strikes, if you leave the box unopened.

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have some good advice. You might be able to find a date on the box which might help you narrow it down. If you intend to send in for certification and want the first strike designation don’t even worry about it and just send them in the box and do the best you can at identifying.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you buy the unopened boxes second hand? Or are they your originally ordered coins. If yours, just track your order history.... good luck, Cheers, RickO

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just looked at my latest packages from the mint and there is no identification codes as to what is inside.
    I do attach a picture of the coin(s) that are inside for future reference. ;)
    Best of luck.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could make a tab in excel for tracking these

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

sometimes

(l8-)>>

• tizofthetizofthe Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

I always added a pic from the mint when I received it. However. I got stage four cancer leaving me unable to walk, write etc. But I do have all my membership coins from the past two years.bcountes 14 boxes and have no clue which is Wich. S ems lime nscrewed. Not sending them in for grading. At them present time keeping them sealed as I have approx five each of the coins now worth triple than what sold for. Morgan.being the last item. Will have my wife jot down in the number. My mint account has NEVER been right. All of them show "procesi.nf" and will not open. Don't ask me.
    Thanks for your advise..seems like I'm mega screwed.

Transactions..
    wondercoin, duffman,PiecesOfMe, Smittys, LogPotato, Bumanchu, Tydye, segoja, Harry779, FullCameo, Twosidestoeverycoin, jmdm1194, rkfish, drewsef, Chrischampeo, Kaelasdad, Ahrensdad, Dabigkahuna, Barbwire, sebrown, mkman123, Gerard
  • edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

I would try to view tracking data, to see when they shipped from the mint. If you ordered when first available, you may be able to narrow it down to specific items. ( some shipping was delayed, but might be indicative).

(l8-)>>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file