Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Finally filled another box of 20 - Civil War Tokens this time.

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

20 plus years ago I was hot and heavy into IHC's, FE cents and small cent patterns. I hit a wall and had a really hard time upgrading what I had. So, to scratch my collecting itch, I started collecting CWT's struck over IHC's and FE cents. :D

My goal was a date run from 1856-1864. In the 1860's, no one was about to waste a 1856 FE cent as a planchet for a CWT. So, I had to wait until a nice example of another "under-coin" became available.

It happened this week with the Partrick sale - a very nice token with the features of the 1856 dime showing through nicely.

I've expanded the collection to include other dates, in case you're wondering how a box of 20 got filled. With the FE cents, my box has the 1857 and both the 1858 SL and LL.

I was surprised how strong the prices were for the tokens struck on US Coins in this sale - didn't see any nice ones slip through the cracks.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice.👍🏼

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Cool stuff

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    I was surprised how strong the prices were for the tokens struck on US Coins in this sale - didn't see any nice ones slip through the cracks.

Very nice example!

I didnt see many deals to be had in that auction, either. Certainly not on any overstrikes, as they blew past my bids. Like this nice one struck over a dime that flirted with $5,000.
    (With tax and shipping, it probably got there.)

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

That’s pretty cool.

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options

Yep - that 1853 with arrows went strong, as did the CWT over the 1857 FE cent - $6k with the juice.

I have a 1854 w/arrows, so the 1853 didn't get my attention.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's very cool and beyond my scope.

Very well done!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman .... Very nice, and one I have never seen before.... actually do not recall any CWT overstrikes on coins. I have led a sheltered life. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the coolest things about coming here, is there always seems to be more to learn about things I know little or nothing about. Thanks for sharing @Lakesammman

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2021 6:28PM

@Lakesammman ....Your roots seem to run deep into numismatic history. Most of us had no idea that CWT's were overstikes of US coins. Perhaps Dan Carr had a prior life????

You are keeping history alive. Thank you for that.

OINK

• Options

Prices tonight were strong as well - had my eye on a piece struck over an 1825 dime - was underbidder. Neat with the Coin Dealer advertising on the reverse. Brought $4080 all in. Would have loved to add it to the collection.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Prices tonight were strong as well - had my eye on a piece struck over an 1825 dime - was underbidder. Neat with the Coin Dealer advertising on the reverse. Brought $4080 all in. Would have loved to add it to the collection.

That's a gorgeous token. I wanted it as well but passed. I collect pieces from Henry D Gerdts but don't collect overstruck coins as they are a bit out of my price range.

Here's Henry's signature from a piece I won a while back:

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2021 9:55PM

@Lakesammman said:
    20 plus years ago I was hot and heavy into IHC's, FE cents and small cent patterns. I hit a wall and had a really hard time upgrading what I had. So, to scratch my collecting itch, I started collecting CWT's struck over IHC's and FE cents. :D

My goal was a date run from 1856-1864. In the 1860's, no one was about to waste a 1856 FE cent as a planchet for a CWT. So, I had to wait until a nice example of another "under-coin" became available.

It happened this week with the Partrick sale - a very nice token with the features of the 1856 dime showing through nicely.

Congrats on wrapping this up after a long journey! It's a great collection to focus on :)

I've expanded the collection to include other dates, in case you're wondering how a box of 20 got filled. With the FE cents, my box has the 1857 and both the 1858 SL and LL.

Good to know. It's good to adapt.

I thought the Frank B. Orr token when fairly cheap. I put in a bid on it but live bidding blew through my bid.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just when I thought you’re more of a circulated Ike collector..... 😈

Cool idea for a very special BOT. Well done. ⭐️

I’ve admired some of Steve Hayden’s CWT’s ..... thinking about pulling the trigger on a couple of them, but they’re not the mash-ups.

Do any of your mash-ups use that special PCGS multi-colored slab label?....you know the one I’m thinking of maybe.....

• Options

No - but I like the concept!

PCGS was late to the game on CWT's - most if not all of mine are in NGC holders. There's less of a grading game with CWT's - I would never resubmit for a plus, for example.

Some still have Tannenbaum's handwritten notes stuck to the back with provenance, etc. Wouldn't want to lose those.

• Options

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    Most of us had no idea that CWT's were overstikes of US coins. Perhaps Dan Carr had a prior life????

You are keeping history alive. Thank you for that.

OINK

Keep in mind that most CWTs are not overstruck on other coins. They are normally struck on blank planchets of their own, but specialty strikes were ordered from time to time on Indian Head cents, dimes, and the most infrequently used...seated Liberty quarters.
    Back when 25c meant something, it was pretty extraordinary use a 25c piece as a planchet for a token worth one 1c.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

@Lakesammman said:

I wanted this one, too!
    (But somebody wanted it more- ALOT MORE.)

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file