Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question about random sticker on purchased $20 Dbl Eagle

Hello, everyone. Picked this up today for my local coin show to help complete a type set I have been working on. Does anyone know what the guy meant by the 'D/OBOD' letters? Maybe nothing, but I was just curious and forgot to ask.

Otherwise, I just got it as a type coin. Decent price though--$2100!

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably a pricing code.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, his inventory/pricing code. Beautiful coin!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    stownsinstownsin Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

Ah, ok. Figured it probably was nothing and I forgot to ask. Yes, it is pretty decent! I had been putting off getting one of these for a long time. Just a couple more pieces now for my 12 piece type set :smiley:

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed with comments on code. That's a good looking example. Reverse pictures?

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! Looks clean and strong for a 63.

Great pickup!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Attractive color and luster, too.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very strong 63.

Vplite99
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2021 2:48PM

@vplite99 said:

I don’t know how you guys can tell from the pictures provided. As they are and enlarged, the pictures aren’t clear enough for me to assess the surfaces.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@vplite99 said:

I don’t know how you guys can tell from the pictures provided. As they are and enlarged, the pictures aren’t clear enough for me to assess the surfaces.

Weren't you taught as a kid "Say something nice or don't say anything at all"?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stownsin... That is a nice gold coin... As above, the label is the dealers code, likely inventory or pricing. Many dealers have their personal coding system to help them with sales at shows etc. The dealer may not tell you what it means since it could possibly tell his purchase price. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@djm said:

@MFeld said:

@vplite99 said:

Weren't you taught as a kid "Say something nice or don't say anything at all"?

After reading comments from two posters that the coin looked strong and very strong for a 63, I stated that the pictures weren’t clear enough to assess the coins’ surfaces (for making such a determination). Do you think there’s something wrong in saying that? If so, I frequently misbehave here.

I don't think what you said was wrong. In many threads where the OP doesn't ask for opinions about his coins people will leave complimentary comments especially when it says PQ on the labels. I didn't think the comments you mention were anything more than being supportive of the OP.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick up! Those look nice in the green holders! :)

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2021 6:14PM

It is most likely inventory (cost) code and retail pricing code. Possibly another code for sell basis like CW Trends. Just remove sticker and forget about it.

One may have a cost code, sell code, and basis of sell code like xyz coin co ad they saw in NN.

I use code for numbers (where letters represent numbers and say one letter represents 00 with cost in red letters and sell code in blue or black letters w another code that might be basis like CW Trends, etc. Or sell code could be simply cost plus.
    One sell code strategy a seller could employ might be R1 for Red Book, R2 for seller x ad in NN, R3 for CPG, R4 for CW Trends, R5a EBay seller avg, R5h eBay seller high. Sort of like a QB having the play book calls in code on his wrist band as he comes up to the line reading the defense.

The basis for your codes should be something they could not easily decipher like abcd but possibly name of place / city.

Once this code in memory u could do reverse on certain projects where numbers represent letters for certain other things. U meet Mary at club her name in numbers (code) her phone number in letters. You would have your own unique code.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

The luster is really nice on that coin. 👍👍

• Options

Thank you, everyone. I know I am not exactly that great at photographing coins, @MFeld and I am definitely not offended at any of the comments...lol. As always, I appreciate the knowledge you gentlemen invariably have. Speaking of photographing coins, I would love some tips. Unfortunately, all I have is my iPhone, so with that in mind....any help is appreciated :-)

As for the coin itself, I specifically picked this one up because it did catch my eye and I looked at probably 10-15 before I made a decision. The luster is between good to great I would say and the fields and devices seems to have WAY LESS "bag marks" than I have seen on most other 63s. The only reason I can think of it getting a 63 would be on account of some slight 'milkiness' that only seems to appear in sunlight on the obverse between 7 and 10 o'clock. It isn't really visible indoor.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

My photography skills with an iPhone are mediocre at best but you can improve your pictures with a tripod or using something like a book or box as a tripod. For grading purposes don’t tilt your coin. It’s very difficult to access the surface when the coin is at an angle. Experiment with lighting. I get halfway decent pictures if I take pictures indoors on a sunny day in a bright room without any additional light sources.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick up. I enjoy Liberty; especially big hunks of it in classic design.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file