Home U.S. Coin Forum

1936 ddo?

rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this a ddo?

Comments

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed it is! Go here-http://www.varietyvista.com/ to attribute.

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it.👍

Hoard the keys.
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure looks like it.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes! It does look like a DDO. Congrats!
    I think it may be one of the first two but you'll have to look at the other devices to make sure.
    http://www.varietyvista.com/01a LC Doubled Dies Vol 1/DDO 1936.htm

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say it is.... Good find....Was it found in change? Or a cherry pick? Cheers, RickO

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

YEP!

• gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very groovy find.

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2021 9:25AM

@ricko said:
    I would say it is.... Good find....Was it found in change? Or a cherry pick? Cheers, RickO

It was found in a roll search many years ago (early 1960's) and just thrown in with the pre-1940 wheat cents. We didn't pull the later date wheat cents (dated after 1939) yet, as there were too many of them still in circulation. I just went through them a few weeks ago and put this one aside. I guess I cherry-picked myself here!
    Thanks for the replies, everyone!

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

You got it! Nice find!

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find, for sure.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I guess I cherry-picked myself here!"

lol.... always better than having someone else cherrypick you!

Nice find.

----- kj

Be sure to check your 1909-VDB and 1917 cents, too. There are many lesser doubled dies from the 'teens thru the thirties also. Use the website for Variety Vista to see what there is.

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    Be sure to check your 1909-VDB and 1917 cents, too. There are many lesser doubled dies from the 'teens thru the thirties also. Use the website for Variety Vista to see what there is.

Thanks, I bought 5 rolls of 1917 cents from an ebay seller about 15 years ago in an attempt to find a 1917 DDO, which I did not find. I still have them. Most of my wheat cent finds are not longer around. My dad had almost a roll of 1909 VDB's, but I don't know whatever happened to them. They are no longer around either.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find.

• bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

About 12 years ago i bought a roll of circulated 1936. I found a ddo #1 in about fine condition. I bought a regular one and resold the roll for a dollar less than i bought it. I then bought more rolls and on the thirteenth roll i found another but ddo die #2 in about fine as well. Bought a few more rolls with no luck and stopped buying 1936 circulated rolls.

Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!

I heard of a 1944-D unc roll of D/S Rpm #1. The whole roll! The dealer. Had offered a price but did not get the roll. This was about 20 years ago. I want to find a roll like this.

By the way nice find and it looks like die#2 to me.

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find, here is mine, Die 1

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck

Die #1 seems to be considerably scarcer than Die #2. Both are outstanding examples of Class IV doubled dies but Die #2 is a combination of a Class IV (offset) and a Class V (pivoted.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file