Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1921 Morgans, the top and low pop

blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was no goal of mine, but I realized I have the top and low pop for 1921 Morgans. The 67 (tied for top pop with 21 total) has very original color, and is super clean. Legend auctioned a better toned specimen but toned ones like this and high grade are few and far between. The PO01 looks closer to basal and if less of the 2 was visible would likely be a no grade.

It is quite the comparison between the two coins for the same date.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

Comments

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome to stumble upon that in your collection!

• Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the MS67! Not so much the PO01... :)

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice I love them all there is nothing like a big chunky piece of silver in your pocket, some nice coins in your privet collection life is good congratulations keep up the good work. 👍🏼🙂

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like both of them! B)

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2021 11:54AM

@blu62vette said:
    This was no goal of mine, but I realized I have the top and low pop for 1921 Morgans. The 67 (tied for top pop with 21 total) has very original color, and is super clean. Legend auctioned a better toned specimen but toned ones like this and high grade are few and far between. The PO01 looks closer to basal and if less of the 2 was visible would likely be a no grade.

You've always been a tough grader. There's plenty of meat left on that date. I feel bad for you going to bed every night knowing that the only way you can do better is to do worse. The coin is undamaged. You will not lose the bean. o:):#

edited to add:
    1) I like the original toning on both. ;)
    2) I still remember when "slicks" (and with clearer dates) sold for $4.50 or so. Now they're evidently almost priceless.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow the best of both worlds. The 67 is pretty.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder how many pockets that PO01 has been in - great Morgan

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool to have both extremes! :smile:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that is interesting. While I am not a fan of the super low grades, this is a great contrast to have in a collection. Thanks for showing us. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. I like the contrast between the two extremes.

Now you just need to find and acquire a VF33 1921 Morgan to finish the set. A trio with two at the extreme ends of the grading scale and one on the middle.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both are nice

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great pair!
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just don’t get the CAC review for a PO1 coin.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the 67!
    Love the 01!

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

wouldn't the shape of the chin give away the 21 ?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2021 4:20PM

Love them both!

What an interesting concept/theme for a collector. That had never crossed my mind before.

I don't get the green bean thing either. Does that mean it's not a true/solid PO-1?

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USSID17 said:
    I don't get the green bean thing either. Does that mean it's not a true/solid PO-1?

I hear ya, Does a "GREEN BEAN" make it better or worse when you are dealing with low graded coins?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

@USSID17 said:

I hear ya, Does a "GREEN BEAN" make it better or worse when you are dealing with low graded coins?

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2021 5:09PM

If I was JA, I would have gold beaned the PO01 just for the reaction.

Excellent 1921's.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2021 5:24PM

This is a fantastic comparison. I would have enjoyed knowing what the mass of each coin is just to see how much silver was actually lost on the P01.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont know exactly what the CAC on the PO01 means either, I guess they feel it is a PO01 and not close to a FA02?

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file