Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thought it was a blank planchet

Hi guys. So I've had this blank planchet for a couple years I think. Well I was going through my coins nickel collection today and discovered something on my blank planchet or so I thought was blank. I would like to know the story behind this one if anyone can help..

Comments

• Options
    Gurney266Gurney266 Posts: 131 ✭✭

Can that account for it weighing half a gram less than it should and is it possible this coin was just very lightly struck somehow?

• Options
    Gurney266Gurney266 Posts: 131 ✭✭

It's extremely smooth and has a different feel to it than any if my other ones

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a worn slick V-nickel.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gurney266 said:
    Can that account for it weighing half a gram less than it should and is it possible this coin was just very lightly struck somehow?

Just worn. Not lightly struck.

If it were lightly struck, the weight would be correct.

Grind of the devices and the coin gets lighter.

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nickel was a lot of money and heavily used in commerce at the time. Which, when you think about it, being of harder Nickel, the wear makes the story of how it got like this even longer. :-)

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! Now that's what I would call a "pocket piece" :o

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most excellent worn out v nickel

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2021 4:53PM

Once I bought a roll of well worn Liberty V nickels and it was significantly shorter than a roll of newer nickels. When well worn they will be lighter and thinner than normal.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2021 5:42PM

Ken
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, remember that back at that time, a nickel had decent purchasing power. Newspapers, streetcar rides, meals... a nickel might be used a dozen times in a single day, vs. today's one and to the Coinstar.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

An extremely worn v nickle, have seen a few of those over the years and a few shields like that

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Third generation pocket piece.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2021 7:01PM

I've got a "roll" of well worn Barber dimes (50). It stacks up three dimes short of non-worn coinage.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the shortest stack for well worn coins I've experienced were Barber Dimes. Some of those you can almost shave with!

@JBK said:
    Once I bought a roll of well worn Liberty V nickels and it was significantly shorter than a roll of newer nickels. When well worn they will be lighter and thinner than normal.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very, very worn V nickel.... and yes, that would account for the weight variance. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree that it is a worn "V" nickel.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file