Home U.S. Coin Forum

Sold my collection - and bought one coin

2»

Comments

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations. The story that goes along with it makes it.

thefinn
  • savitalesavitale Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    Wow major coin. That coin sold in a Goldberg auction last September was that you ?
    BTW I just bought a 1857-S $20 original gold label that slept somewhere near your coin. Same fascination with the shipwreck and how these coins survived in such condition

Yes, it was me. Awesome. I wonder what your coin and mine talked about for 150 years or so?

@Catbert said:
    I’ve entertained a similar fantasy. Maybe in ten years I’ll do the same and get a Gobrecht dollar. Figure bigger is better for the eyes. :)

Go for it! What's really the more fun part, owning or shopping?

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

The thought has occasionally crossed my mind to sell everything and purchase one or maybe a few coins. But I just can't bring myself to sell much of anything I've accumulated in the last 40 years.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool story and coin! In all my years of reading this forum, I don't recall hearing of anyone who sold as much stuff to purchase a single coin. Sounds like you're happy with the decision and the new acquisition, so congrats!

• In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

In the words of the immortal Hank Stram Coach of the Chiefs to Fred Arbanas after making a good catch "You done Good".
    Good idea, not only for coins but for my cars, sports cards, bikes Etc. I just turned 76 so........Cheers.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great post. Major congrats!!!

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@CaptainBlunt said:
    Cool coin
    The entire mintage was delivered from the SFBM’s Coiner to the Treasurer on December 22nd 1856
    Must have been minted late in the year

Interesting. It's almost like you can track exactly where this coin has been through its brief non-oceanic existence.

@ShaunBC5 said:
    That’s a super nice coin and accomplishment!
    The question now becomes: is it, in reality, your last coin purchase?

No, it will not be my last purchase. It is sort of bringing closure to one phase of my collecting as I prepare for the next one.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over the top cool factor. Geez. Well done. Wonderful centerpiece coin.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m glad you’re going to continue. You inspired me to look through my collection this week and see what could go...I learned I still like most of my meager collection and am not near ready for what you e done (I did find a few pieces, though). I also couldn’t do nearly as well as you did, so there’s that.

• WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

This the kind of content I come here for.

My collection isn’t what I consider massive but would still be a considerable hassle to liquidate by someone not versed in the nuances of the hobby. I like the idea of liquidating it myself at some point in a more advanced age and letting others have some enjoyment out of the pieces. Maybe not even buying another big coin, but I never know what I want to do next. Thanks for posting.

• AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

That's really cool. I love the story and neat unique PCGS holder.

Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • NoGoldNoGold Posts: 41 ✭✭

Congrats on your purchase. This is one of the most informative posts in a long time. Selling a collection and recouping costs and investment isn't always easy.

• bp777bp777 Posts: 389 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw this post and smiled. I’ve thought about doing the same exact thing w/ 1/2 of my stack multiple times over the years, but just hvnt followed through. But I’m still buying/trading and learning about old us coins, so if I ever do follow through, it will be something nice

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

A great post and a great pick up!

Way to go big!

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing. Great story and outcome!

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Badass! Love it. <3 The coin, the dedication, the story ... the joy and some of the pain that I can feel through it all. Congratulations and thank you for sharing.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

@pointfivezero said:
    Riveting and compelling story. Thank you for sharing your process and your absolutely stunning acquisition!

I recently purchased a one of a kind medallion which cost more than my current automobile. I will also be sharing this story when I have received it. There were many similarities to your saga.

Tim

Can't wait to see that!

@dan_marinelli said:
    I approve of your actions and I love the coin! I wish I were that brave. I can't even slice off the lower half of my collection (heap) and buy one really nice coin. My kids are going to hate me!

It's not for everyone I'll admit, but selling the stuff I was most attached to was like ripping off a band aid. You might need a stiff drink to get yourself to the Post Office (OK, don't do that, but you know what I mean ...). But once I started looking for my "reward" coin the old friends faded from memory pretty quickly. I still miss some but it's OK. I'm happier now with what I have.

@SeattleSlammer said:
    Wow, way cool, congrats! Do you know where the other 65 resides?

I often will sell a group of widgets to purchase one more pricey piece....but I’ve never sold the whole farm for just one. Bold move.

I just checked. It appears that it was recently upgraded to a "+" and sold in a Legend Numismatics auction. It was in the Gene Gardner collection. Doesn't currently appear in any of the top registry sets.

• USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

• dan_marinellidan_marinelli Posts: 195 ✭✭✭

@savitale, Do you think you'll be starting the whole process over again? It would be hard to save for another similar piece and what do you do in the meantime for your coin-curiosity needs?

Successful transactions here and ATS with: jwitten, Rob41281, bajjerfan, cucamongacoin, Jim F., physics-fan3.14, x2rider, Wahoo554, Weather11am, Relaxn, jimineez1, Ronyahski, Bliggity, SurfinxHI, McGrump (thru BAJJERFAN), ms71, Downtown1974, ad4400

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done. :+1:

Thanks for including the link to the CW story.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file