Home Sports Talk
Options

Last Time You Went To A Drive-In Movie?

HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 24, 2021 3:41PM in Sports Talk

For me it was 1977. The movie was The Hills Have Eyes. The Lovely Pre- Mrs. Hydrant was my date. The movie was about a misfit group of radioactive cannibals who were terrorizing a family on vacation somewhere in the Nevada desert. Papa Jupiter was the leader of the cannibals. At some point in the movie, Papa Jupiter breaks into the vacationing family's motorhome and abducts a newborn baby. As the camera zoomed in on the little cherub's face, Papa Jupiter says, "Umm...Tenderloin Baby." That's when the Lovely Pre-Mrs. Hydrant began slugging me windmill style and screaming, "Why did you take me to this movie! I hate you! I'm never going to go ANYWHERE with you again!" She packed quite a punch for a little teen girl. Anyway..... I never went to the drive-in again after that. The violence on the big screen was no match for the potential mayhem in the car. I should have considered it a "Red Flag" event but I didn't. Besides, you know what's the best part about having your girlfriend beat you up?.......It doesn't hurt.

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last time I went to a drive in movie was also the first time.

I have three sisters. The youngest is thirteen years older than me. The middle one took me to a drive in movie with her future husband when they were just dating. It is an early childhood memory that really stuck- being in the back seat and watching a movie, out with my sister and her boyfriend, must have been about 1980. I would have been four year years old.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had some great times in high school at the drive-in movies.

Sorry, but if i explained what happened, it might get me bammed or at least a week's timeout.

Suffice to say, i don't recall ever watching a movie at a drive-in movie. B)

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2021 9:43AM

You know, I've never been to a drive in movie, only inside movie theaters. Of course, I grew up in the 80s and 90s, so in my city, we didn't even have a drive in movie theaters, only indoor theaters.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    You know, I've never been to a drive in movie, only inside movie theaters. Of course, I grew up in the 80s and 90s, so in my city, we didn't even have a drive in movie theaters, only indoor theaters.

I forget exactly, but i think it was sometime during the 1980's, drive-ins started dying out for various reasons. One big reason may have been the advent of VHS players. The drive-in audience then dwindled, and the drive-in land was worth more utilizing something else.

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

I forget exactly, but i think it was sometime during the 1980's, drive-ins started dying out for various reasons. One big reason may have been the advent of VHS players. The drive-in audience then dwindled, and the drive-in land was worth more utilizing something else.

And now VHS is gone and DVD has taken it's place. Technology is taking over and next thing you know, dogs will be replaced by robots and I'll have to worry about being attacked by a robodog. Keep that robomutt away from me heathen!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

And now VHS is gone and DVD has taken it's place. Technology is taking over and next thing you know, dogs will be replaced by robots and I'll have to worry about being attacked by a robodog. Keep that robomutt away from me heathen!

Don't think sports robot athletes aren't coming. Only a question of when.

Some of the "games" for these robot athletes haven't even been invented yet, but they will be some time in the future.

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

Some of the "games" for these robot athletes haven't even been invented yet, but they will be some time in the future.

Stop it, you're just trying to scare me, I refuse to believe there will one day be a roboBrady!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grease or Star Wars. One or the other I can’t remember, I was definitely a youngster for sure.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

Stop it, you're just trying to scare me, I refuse to believe there will one day be a roboBrady!

No, no, no...all the future athletes will be robots except for the immortal Tom Brady.

Brady will be superior to the robots. :)

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can’t really say but I bet it was in the 1970’s.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I lived in Sacramento from the fall of 1978 to the spring of 1981 (going to grad school). Many times friends and I would travel west on I-80 from Sacramento to the SF Bay Area. At that time between Davis and Vacaville on the south side of I-80 was a drive in movie place. At that time most of the land in that area was farmland. Thus the drive in property was very large and surrounding by nothing but open fields.

The movie screen was built so it did not directly face north in the directly of I-80. However cars driving at night on I-80 approaching the drive in property could briefly see the movie screen at an angle and the movie that was playing on the screen. This particular drive in movie did a thriving business because it showed X Rated films.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

1960's.

Hastings Drive In, Pasadena, Ca. I loved the pizza.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

several times in the late 70s and early 80s. Had to pay by person, so we stopped at a farm road near by and anyone who didn't want to pay had to hop in the trunk. Also where I was introduced to Sloe Gin. The only movie I remember was Airplane.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

The great unwritten rule about drive-ins was drinking was basically legal at any age. I never heard of anyone at a drive-in who got busted for underage drinking.

Not that i ever engaged in such wicked behavior. 🍺

• Options

@stevek said:
    I had some great times in high school at the drive-in movies.

Didn't we all? And the funny part looking back on it all is that we never gave a thought about what our parents thought about the pillows, blankets, mattresses, etc. in the back of the station wagon. We thought they were clueless if we gave it any thought at all. Hey,.......They knew what was going on! All part of growing up.

• Options

Hey! Any of you guys ever go to the drive-in and then wake up in your car at 6 in the morning at an empty drive-in? It's eerie. But.....they leave the exit gate open so no problem!

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me it was 1995 to see Apollo 13 with a former girlfriend at The Swap Shop in Ft Lauderdale. It's still there and going strong. I remember little about the movie. Was pouring rain, the air wasn't working in my car. Just remember how miserable we both were and that we left early.

• Options
    edited May 24, 2021 5:27PM

So, when I was in High School, I had a 1963 Chevy Biscayne station wagon. Paid $75 for it. CASH. It had a storage compartment in the rear that was below deck. I also had a girlfriend that truly belonged below deck. So.....on Friday nights in line at the Rubidoux Drive-In I'd tell her get into the hidden compartment. Why not? Saved 50¢. Well,.....about 30 years after our last date I happened to run into her at the local Stop 'n Go. She immediately brought up how I made her hide in that storage compartment. All I was thinking was......Dear God I dodged a bullet with you! Time can be cruel!

P.S. I had a 1964 Chevy El Camino too. If I don't get banned I'll tell you all another story about the same girl except now she's in the El Camino. Probably not. The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant hates her to this day. Girls will be girls.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

never been to one. only the indoor theatre

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

The trick was always finding a speaker that worked, even though they still sucked on sound quality. Towards the end they started transmitting on a radio frequency, which helped alot on hot summer nights.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Went to the drive-ins quite often in the 60s. Don't remember what was on the screen.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    Went to the drive-ins quite often in the 60s. Don't remember what was on the screen.

It was either a B grade western, sci-fi, or nudie...basically nothing else. LOL

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you all for keeping this thread PG, if you know what I mean...

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@Brick said:

My local drive in showed a lot of Bruce Lee movies, and the sound system was horrible.
    Rolled window down part way, hooked speaker to window, then listened to unintelligible,
    discombobulated voices until you got tired of it and chucked the speaker and watched a Bruce Lee silent movie.

• Options

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

@Brick said:

My local drive in showed a lot of Bruce Lee movies, and the sound system was horrible.
    Rolled window down part way, hooked speaker to window, then listened to unintelligible,
    discombobulated voices until you got tired of it and chucked the speaker and watched a Bruce Lee silent movie.

I recall the speaker had a long circular wire chord. When going home and re-attaching the speaker to the holder pole, it sure wasn't hard to drop it, and it would land hard on the asphalt.

Despite the somewhat heavy metal casing, the constant dropping sure couldn't have done the audio components any good. LOL

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Last one was 1996 in MN on the eastern part of the cities. It was a double feature; can't remember the first one but the second was Independence Day.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2021 10:24AM

Went to the drive in every weekend in the 50s and it was a blast for many the reasons mentioned here. It was always a blast.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Long Island town showed Spider-Man around 2002 at the beach at night for a drive in movie and it was an absolute blast. You just tuned to the right radio station for audio in your car.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gas was 55 cents a gallon. Six pack of Bud was $1.25. Blazzing Saddles was the flick.
    Sound was terrible. The noise from the back seat was interesting, oh wait a minute,
    that's me and my date. Carry on.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Growing up in central MN there was one. Popular place for the high schoolers to pile in the trunk.

• Options

@VikingDude said:
    Growing up in central MN there was one. Popular place for the high schoolers to pile in the trunk.

Eventually, at least in the Philly area, the drive-ins just starting charging one admission price per car.

Smart move. I'd say they more than made up for it at the concession stand. :)

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't remember the date but it was early 80's. Will never forget the next morning went to get in my car and the drive-in movie speaker was still hanging on the passenger side window............. Ooooops

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"