Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Two decades with PSA (edited)

bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

I have paid ****tens ****of thousands of dollars with this company to have my cards encapsulated and graded fairly. No more. This is the NICEST 78 Reggie I’ve ever held in my own hand and it comes back an 8? 2 I have owned two 10s and many 9s. Screw it. Ia m taking my business elsewhere. This card is perfect. I am done.

edited to remove inappropriate language and at the astute advice of many friends on here. Thank
you all for your comments.

Comments

• OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

in

• Sgt_DSgt_D Posts: 85 ✭✭

great...googly-moogly

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2021 7:39AM

Deleted

• sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 442 ✭✭✭

May even have a little on the PD-side + the smudge
    If this was a requested "no qualifier" grade - that might explain it....

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • professorpuckprofessorpuck Posts: 148 ✭✭✭

bottom left corner

• emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Bobby don't get banned, not worth it. You've been around here long time

• WFFLWFFL Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

+1 to you if you edit so you can enjoy the information from others, posted cards, and friendships made.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2021 1:51PM

Registration and surface issues. I could see it in a 9 holder but it's certainly not a strong 9. High end 8 is a reasonable expectation.

ETA: There's also a noticeable chip on back top edge. 8 is the right grade imo.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • dalstar66dalstar66 Posts: 51 ✭✭

I have spent ten's of dollars getting my cards graded and I agree with everything you said

Collecting Vintage Football - Rc's

1959 Topps Football need help finishing
  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

IN!

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2021 4:12PM

I see a chip (or shallow dent) on the top middle back, a probable ink smudge on the All-Star logo, something that looks like a stain on the 93 RBI in the 1974 stats line, and a possible soft upper left front corner.

If what I see on the blurry photo is correct I think an 8 (with nice eye appeal) is about right. I guess an 8.5 perhaps is possible, although most folks submitting do not seem to be given benefit of doubt lately. Does not seem like the hill for you to die on to me.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

edited May 23, 2021 10:14AM

Thanks guys! I have thousands of 78s including several 10s. i know what im doing That card IS NOT an 8 Look on EBay if you disagree.

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2021 2:37PM

@grote15 said:

>

ETA: There's also a noticeable chip on back top edge. 8 is the right grade imo.

This is the first thing I noticed when I saw the scan of the back. Probably what knocked it down to an 8. There are a lot of examples we can complain about but I don't think this is one of them.

scanning may be poor but i know what I doing. I am out Go modern go hard!

edited May 22, 2021 2:59PM

Pride can be an ugly thing, bye bye then, you have had many experienced collectors tell you about multiple flaws but you insist that you know what you are doing despite the evidence. I didnt even mention the chipping on the right edge or the dot on the rbi stat from 74

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see a dark spot in the RBI column on the back.

for giggles

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2021 3:23PM

TB centering and a chip on the top back edge. Grease stain on 1973 RBI 93. Smear on the front All Star shield in the white.
    Just saying

edited May 22, 2021 3:29PM

First thing that hits me is the centering. No way a 10 for that alone.
    You're crazy for leaving the board over this one.

This is why a don't sub and instead buy my 9s & 10s off ebay.
    The gamble might be fun; setup for the big disappointment

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

1978 and 1980 Reggies are beautiful cards.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • PorkinsPorkins Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

I agree, this one isn’t quite worth it.

Pour a tall drink and edit.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nathaniel1960 said:

The 1973 Reggie is a beauty also 👍

Reggie is a player that has had a lot of great cards. Probably the worst one is the airbrushed ‘77...

• 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Off centre, print defects and a chip.
    I’d say 8 was generous.

• picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

@Nathaniel1960 said:

I myself love the 1971..

edited May 22, 2021 6:00PM

His 1st non-airbrushed Yankees card the 1977 Burger King is in my top 4 favorite looking Reggie Cards

I really like the more vibrant colors and slightly better resolution of the 77 BK set. The Jim Wynn is my favorite from the issue.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2021 6:27PM

my favorite. and ringing in, ive heard that psa has finally started grading them. because of the harsher standards and the fact that i cant crack it out if i dont agree with their assessment has me extremely hesitant to ever send it in.

eta: well i could crack it out, but then would have to disclose what it graded, why i cracked it out and who wants that clout?

edited May 22, 2021 6:17PM

deleted

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

@picklepete said:

@Nathaniel1960 said:

I myself love the 1971..

1981 Topps is my favorite

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658

@blurryface said:
    my favorite. and ringing in, ive heard that psa has finally started grading them. because of the harsher standards and the fact that i cant crack it out if i dont agree with their assessment has me extremely hesitant to ever send it in.

eta: well i could crack it out, but then would have to disclose what it graded, why i cracked it out and who wants that clout?

How many of these are known to exist?

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2021 6:48PM

@PaulMaul said:

@blurryface said:

How many of these are known to exist?

i think 16 - 20ish maybe? maybe more. any auction house who gets their hands on one will boast that number to be much on a much lower scale & for obvious reasons.

the 4 color proof set to it came available about 18 months ago. they had a crazy high asking price, rightfully so, that i just couldnt justify paying. looking back, i wish i woulda now because it probably was a steal and no brainer with whats transpired.

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a dead centered Tralmmell / Molitor that had a little smudge that also got an 8. Think that is what got you. I was majorly disappointed as well but I understood what happened and why it got an 8.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

This isn't the hill to die on Bobby.

• soxaddictsoxaddict Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

Been there my friend. Just my two cents, I don't think it's as much as this card got an 8 as is it's I've personally seen worse 9s. IMO, its the inconsistency of PSA. That's why I'm an advocate for the crack and resubmit. Too many times have I and others seen a card come back undergraded, and need to be looked over again. I personally don't feel the review service would get the same treatment as a brand new grading all together. I can post example after example, but it's no secret that some graders are tougher than others. It comes down to what grader ends up with your cards, its that simple.

• ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭

slight wear on lower-left corner. The top left either has a hair or a mark on it. Beautiful card though.

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭

Wow.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really? I think the 73 looks like a mess!

@PaulMaul said:

@Nathaniel1960 said:

• LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

It’s reversion to the mean. Remember “When cardboard turns into gold”? Well, now it’s sort of like: When gold turns into 7’s and 8’s.

@dan89 said:
    Really? I think the 73 looks like a mess!

@PaulMaul said:

@Nathaniel1960 said:

I was kidding because @Nathaniel1960 hates the 1973 design. But while the photo composition is a bit odd, I still find it more interesting than another boring head shot.

Bobby would you please do an edit!
    This could be a great Reggie thread

• FrancartFrancart Posts: 334 ✭✭✭

Nice card

another Reggie before the poof

• burghmanburghman Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2021 7:10AM

Well, it is a CU/PSA owned forum so I’m not sure that’s unexpected. There are plenty of other forums out there where you can flame away. In the olden days - I’ve only been here 3-4 years - any criticisms were grounds for banning. Our “new” moderator - he’s been here for a few years now - allows a lot more negative commentary and I think that’s generally appreciated. But it’s not like this is an impartial audience.

Having said that, one man’s “ deflect, gaslight, and defend” is another man’s “passing along vast experience from years and perhaps decades of grading”.

Jim

Having said that, one man’s “ deflect, gaslight, and defend” is another man’s “passing along vast experience from years and perhaps decades of grading”.

^^^this^^^

When I started I too thought the board had paid posters for PSA, experience has shown me otherwise. Learning from my own mistakes and especially from this board is key and I look back and feel real dumb at my previous self centered thoughts.

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it makes you feel better I once cracked a PSA 8 that I thought was perfect and it came back a 10. I don’t think your card ever has a chance at a 10 though.