Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

UPDATE For your evening enjoyment .The Butter and Eggs Man Play in the Longacre Theatre 1926

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 15, 2021 8:25PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Information on Wikipedia here
Designed by architect Henry Beaumont Herts in 1912, the theatre was named for Longacre Square, the original name for Times Square. The French neo-classical building was constructed by impresario Harry Frazee, better remembered as the owner of the Boston Red Sox who, needing money for his theatrical ventures, sold Babe Ruth's contract to the New York Yankees. A curse allegedly lingered on the theatre as a result, and there was a time in which superstitious producers avoided it for fear they would be backing a flop, as noted by William Goldman in his book The Season: A Candid Look at Broadway. Despite the rumor, a large number of performers who have appeared on stage here have taken home a Tony Award for their efforts.
The Play from Wikipedia
The Butter and Egg Man is a 1925 play by George S. Kaufman, the only play he wrote without collaborating. It was a Broadway hit during the 1925–26 season at the Longacre Theatre.[1] Adapted to film six times, it is still performed on stages today.

The song originally by Lois Armstrong but this newer version is pretty good.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=HVe1r4HPj7Y&feature=share
The token. You would think one can find these fairly easy and in high mint state........well I’ve looked
for several years and only found this one. Maybe I don’t have the right connection but I think I got a super nice
example that has original luster and is totally proof like.

Showing the pl fields.

The newest Pick up. It took quiet along time searching for another example. Same gold gilt and super proof like fields.
Just don't feel like imaging them tonight but I did want to share
This one states on the obverse "COMING TO YOUR TOWN" Also very proof like. Now I'm wondering how many varieties
of this one is known?
However it might only be the two as "Coming to your town" pretty much covers everywhere.
Another difference is the man's face is much more detailed and the bull he is riding has shed quite a few pounds.....
......maybe from carrying all those heavy gold coins wore him thin
:D

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file