Options

Disappointing TRUEVIEW Image

2»

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2022 1:51PM

@LJenkins11 said:
    This Trueview looks nothing like the coin in hand and yes that is how the coin looks at the cert page when you look it up. Judging by the label generation maybe it's an early attempt at Trueview? I guess it could have also been photo'd through the slab at a later date as well.

That looks like a SecurePlus scan, not a TrueView.

Checkout the thread on PCGS TrueView Generations and Types

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great link to an informative thread! I had no clue what or how this image even was.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS imaging is still not batting 1.000 on these. I got this trueview back a little bit ago and it was flat and showed no luster. It looked almost like a black and white scan with no luster. I showed my generic slab shots that I used to sell it on ebay. I didn't bother to contact customer service since I was just planning to sell the coin. I sold it without using the trueview and chalked up as a loss.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PCGSPhoto , might there be an alternate image for cert 46443431. In hand I feel that there is more color and pop in the fields in particular than this version lets on.

• Options

@PCGSPhoto said:

@ReadyFireAim said:
    @PCGSPhoto
    Do you have another picture of this one?
    I had it re-holdered and it looks like they took a picture of it when it was in old style gasket holder. (non-prong)
    The rim is obscured.

Looks like this coin was sent back to PCGS for regrade service. We don't re-photograph coins for regrade submissions by and large. Unfortunately the system told us that an image for this coin already existed, so taking a new image was not necessary, despite the image online being one that was shot through an older holder.

@PCGSPhoto i have recently joined this message board and am looking through the posts. I found this that was posted last year. A quick question, if this is ok, please…

I have just sent in ten coins for regrade. This is with the World Express service. They are all half sovereigns and most are high grades in older slabs. Some don’t have great, or any pictures. I ticked the True View box but now wonder, having read your message, if I needed to do something else to ensure brand new photographs? Can you please advise? The package was received earlier this week and the coins just moved to ‘grading’.

Thanks in advance!!

Andrew.

Currently looking for Proof Half Sovereigns…….

• Options

@Vandaleak_Collection said:

@PCGSPhoto said:

@ReadyFireAim said:
    @PCGSPhoto
    I had it re-holdered and it looks like they took a picture of it when it was in old style gasket holder. (non-prong)
    The rim is obscured.

Looks like this coin was sent back to PCGS for regrade service. We don't re-photograph coins for regrade submissions by and large. Unfortunately the system told us that an image for this coin already existed, so taking a new image was not necessary, despite the image online being one that was shot through an older holder.

@PCGSPhoto i have recently joined this message board and am looking through the posts. I found this that was posted last year. A quick question, if this is ok, please…

I have just sent in ten coins for regrade. This is with the World Express service. They are all half sovereigns and most are high grades in older slabs. Some don’t have great, or any pictures. I ticked the True View box but now wonder, having read your message, if I needed to do something else to ensure brand new photographs? Can you please advise? The package was received earlier this week and the coins just moved to ‘grading’.

Thanks in advance!!

Andrew.

If the TrueView box was ticked they should all get new photos. Otherwise you can message me your order number and I can make a note in the system. Thanks

Radiant Collection: Numismatics and Exonumia of the Atomic Age.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase/3232

• Options

@PCGSPhoto said:

@Vandaleak_Collection said:

@PCGSPhoto said:

@ReadyFireAim said:
    @PCGSPhoto
    The rim is obscured.

Thanks in advance!!

Andrew.

If the TrueView box was ticked they should all get new photos. Otherwise you can message me your order number and I can make a note in the system. Thanks

Wonderful. Thank you so much. I have messaged the submission and order numbers. Huge thanks.

Currently looking for Proof Half Sovereigns…….

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

That isn't a true view. more like an owner submitted pic
    I saw the same thing on another coin just last week
    This one
    https://www.pcgs.com/cert/19550800
    This is not my coin, I just saw it when I was bidding.
    You're right, it's ugly

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:
    That isn't a true view. more like an owner submitted pic
    I saw the same thing on another coin just last week
    This one
    https://www.pcgs.com/cert/19550800
    This is not my coin, I just saw it when I was bidding.
    You're right, it's ugly

PCGS does not allow owner-submitted images on their cert verification page. What you are seeing with this Lincoln cent is likely a PCGS SecureScan (or some similar name), which PCGS used briefly (?) a number of years ago. It was not supposed to be a True View, but instead was used in combination with what PCGS termed "the sniffer" (again, or some similar name) and they have not used that process for a number of years.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

TomB
    You could be correct on this.
    I had a similar problem with a true view pic and I was told that it wasn't a true view pic rather then a owner submitted pic.
    Doesn't matter since I don't own the coin(s)

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭✭✭

TomB is correct on this. I have a number of coins with SecureScan images.