Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this a type of Mint package toning?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a PCGS MS65FBL. I haven't seen this type of toning on the reverse before. Is this from standard Mint packaging or something else?

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/40847211

Comments

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve seen a few with that type of toning on the reverse. I always thought it was from the mint packaging.
    I’m pretty certain I even had one and sold it several years back. I’ll try looking through and see if I have a pic of it.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen coins like that pulled from old Whitman folders like this

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't figure what would have caused that coin to tone with that pattern.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are other brands of coin folders other that those sold by Whitman. One of them could have had the pattern you see on the reverse of that Franklin Half Dollar.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly looks like a pattern from a fibrous paper-like material. No idea what container it may have been. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the idea that this could have been from an album. If I recall correctly, I have popped a few coins from the paper Whitman-style folder albums that have had this type of toning on the reverse.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Starting in 1959, the US mint went away from the cardboard packaging and towards plastic cellophane (like in the link below). That type of packaging hasn’t been known to produce the pattern on the coin in the original post. I’d speculate like others that it was caused by some type of album.

https://mintsetguide.com/1959-mint-set/

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen that similar type of toning before on a half dollar that if I remember correctly(and I'm old) came out of a cellophane mint package. I remember thinking how could that have happened, but it was before internet coin forums. So, I didn't bother asking anyone I knew, at that time, about it.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    emzeeemzee Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭

I own literally hundreds of US silver coins from BU rolls 1959-1963 which exhibit similar parallel lines, on one side only. You can see others on PCGS coinfacts. The lines become visible when the coins start to tone, as above. I call this "grill mark" toning.

My theory is that while at the mint, these coins when through a counting or packaging machine that made contact with each coin via a soft, ridged device. The lines on the coins could be material left behind by the device. More likely, the device removed existing die grease, exposing bare silver directly to the atmosphere. this would explain why the lines tone before the remainder of the coin.

• Options
    emzeeemzee Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭

Grill mark toning occurs on either side of the coin. I have not seen any coins with 2-sided GM toning.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    I have seen coins like that pulled from old Whitman folders like this

The early Whitman Tri-fold albums were manufactured by printing the long paper backing, printing and die cutting the three cardboard pages, applying the glue in a ripple pattern to the entire paper backing, and pressing the three cardboard pages against the glue.
    This of course left glue inside the holes that the coins were placed against. The glue caused a mottled toning, so eventually they changed the manufacturing process to only apply the glue to the backs of the cardboard pages.
    All that said, these lines are finer and straighter than what I usually found on silver coins from early Whitman tri-folds. So, either a different brand album, or a different type of holder.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file