Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

In honor of gold in the 1850s ... OK now on to the 1880s

Comments

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold past two years return is better than s&p past two years return. Yes in the long run s&p return is better.

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Snippet from a 1981 movie "Rollover" - gold just went over $2000 at around the 1:12 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPl77UeHfd8

:)

• Options
    edited March 17, 2023 11:09PM

@vulcanize said:
    Would be interesting to see how gold will perform if the feds do approve a quarter-point rate hike next week

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/17/fed-poised-to-approve-quarter-point-rate-hike-next-week-despite-market-turmoil.html

:smile:

Yes I agree it would be very interesting. If rate hike is half point I guess gold will drop big time. If no rate hike then gold will pop over 2k.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jt88 said:

@vulcanize said:
    Would be interesting to see how gold will perform if the feds do approve a quarter-point rate hike next week

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/17/fed-poised-to-approve-quarter-point-rate-hike-next-week-despite-market-turmoil.html

Yes I agree it would be very interesting. If rate hike is half point I guess gold will drop big time. If no rate hike then gold will pop over 2k.

Both possibilities exist and should be considered. No bashing involved.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@mark_dak said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Goodness. Are we finally on the way to $2000?
    Maybe 😁

Or $1790

Fear buying can reverse quickly.

Cash in your ETH that your were proud of @ $3500 and join the goldies! You will probably not see $1650 gold again for a long time. Outside of a few blinks of an eye in October of last year when we got near $1625 for minutes at a time, we have stayed above that level for just shy of 2 years. Gold continues to trend higher. You regularly bash anyone bullish on gold but continue to hold ETH??

Mark

I'm still proud of my ETH which has been more profitable than gold. I sold 7 ounces of gold this week. I'll sell the other half if we cross $2000. I've been hearing about $3000 or $5000 gold for 20 years. Some day, they will be right. Of course, the S&P will be at 100,000 by then.

I didn't bash anyone holding gold. But this entire recent surge from $1790 is panic buying. It can reverse quickly when the crisis passes. That is caution not bashing. I'm simply not a buyer at this number. You can feel free to buy as much as you want at this number. No bashing will ensue.

I own a lousy $2000 in ETH that I paid $1200 for. I had 12 ounces of gold at the beginning of the week @ an $1800 basis. [I trade it a lot. I sold 10 ounces last year at $1970.] When you can only hold one thing in your head at a time, I guess it seems like a binary decision. With gold, I buy into weakness and sell into strength. With ETH, I bought $1200 worth 3 or 4 years ago and haven't done anything with it, other than move it from Coinbase to Robinhood.

This thread is really a testament to the generally poor longer term returns with gold. Even after $150 run up in a week, it is only 6% higher than 2 years ago. And when the banking crisis passes, you may be back at $1800 again. This whole run started with SVB and accelerated with Credit Suisse. I'm not sure why you think this is a macrotrend.

For the record, Ethereum has gone up twice as much as gold in the last week. Ethereum is up 23% from March 10th. Gold is up less than 10% in that same time frame. Not that it is an either/or (ether/oro?) choice.

Would you like to buy my last 5 ounces at $1980? Lock in now. The sky is the limit!

I purchased most of my gold under $1100. I have also sold gold(Modern bullion AGE, modern commemorative, foreign) during the last run at over $2000. For the record I also sold a lot of silver on the last run. I too, made plenty on gold and silver.

One week is a macrotrend to you? Take a look at the chart - higher highs, higher lows for a loooong period of time. Holding gold is always an insurance policy on a severe downturn which we have not seen... even in 2008.

I just find it rich that every thread mentioning gold you seem to find the time to comment that price will be lower yet tout a crypto that is down to near half the price where you were telling us that ETH is the cream of the crypto crop. So your investment dropped 50% since I noticed you praising ETH but has beaten gold this week - Bravo!

Now I understand how to weigh your opinion based on the miniscule willingness to put your money where your mouth is. If your 5 ounces are in the form of old pre-1933 gold please PM me. If you read above, you see where I now believe the floor is on gold... again, if modern or foreign and you still have those 5 ounces should we ever meander back to $1625-$1650 shoot me another PM.

BTW, if I were you I'd feel much batter about the future of my 5 ounces of gold over the ETH "investment".

Mark

• Options

@jt88 said:

@vulcanize said:

I would say the holders of large amounts of gold really don't care whether Fed raises quarter, half or pause. Most don't generally care what the price will be on the Fourth of July and they certainly don't care what the price will be on this upcoming Thursday.

Mark

• Options
    edited March 18, 2023 8:16AM

@mark_dak said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@mark_dak said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Maybe 😁

Or $1790

Cash in your ETH that your were proud of @ $3500 and join the goldies! You will probably not see $1650 gold again for a long time. Outside of a few blinks of an eye in October of last year when we got near $1625 for minutes at a time, we have stayed above that level for just shy of 2 years. Gold continues to trend higher. You regularly bash anyone bullish on gold but continue to hold ETH??

Mark

I'm still proud of my ETH which has been more profitable than gold. I sold 7 ounces of gold this week. I'll sell the other half if we cross $2000. I've been hearing about $3000 or $5000 gold for 20 years. Some day, they will be right. Of course, the S&P will be at 100,000 by then.

I didn't bash anyone holding gold. But this entire recent surge from $1790 is panic buying. It can reverse quickly when the crisis passes. That is caution not bashing. I'm simply not a buyer at this number. You can feel free to buy as much as you want at this number. No bashing will ensue.

I own a lousy $2000 in ETH that I paid $1200 for. I had 12 ounces of gold at the beginning of the week @ an $1800 basis. [I trade it a lot. I sold 10 ounces last year at $1970.] When you can only hold one thing in your head at a time, I guess it seems like a binary decision. With gold, I buy into weakness and sell into strength. With ETH, I bought $1200 worth 3 or 4 years ago and haven't done anything with it, other than move it from Coinbase to Robinhood.

This thread is really a testament to the generally poor longer term returns with gold. Even after $150 run up in a week, it is only 6% higher than 2 years ago. And when the banking crisis passes, you may be back at $1800 again. This whole run started with SVB and accelerated with Credit Suisse. I'm not sure why you think this is a macrotrend.

For the record, Ethereum has gone up twice as much as gold in the last week. Ethereum is up 23% from March 10th. Gold is up less than 10% in that same time frame. Not that it is an either/or (ether/oro?) choice.

Would you like to buy my last 5 ounces at $1980? Lock in now. The sky is the limit!

I purchased most of my gold under $1100. I have also sold gold(Modern bullion AGE, modern commemorative, foreign) during the last run at over $2000. For the record I also sold a lot of silver on the last run. I too, made plenty on gold and silver.

One week is a macrotrend to you? Take a look at the chart - higher highs, higher lows for a loooong period of time. Holding gold is always an insurance policy on a severe downturn which we have not seen... even in 2008.

I just find it rich that every thread mentioning gold you seem to find the time to comment that price will be lower yet tout a crypto that is down to near half the price where you were telling us that ETH is the cream of the crypto crop. So your investment dropped 50% since I noticed you praising ETH but has beaten gold this week - Bravo!

Now I understand how to weigh your opinion based on the miniscule willingness to put your money where your mouth is. If your 5 ounces are in the form of old pre-1933 gold please PM me. If you read above, you see where I now believe the floor is on gold... again, if modern or foreign and you still have those 5 ounces should we ever meander back to $1625-$1650 shoot me another PM.

BTW, if I were you I'd feel much batter about the future of my 5 ounces of gold over the ETH "investment".

Mark

For a LOONG period of time? Today, gold is exactly where it was in 2011. Yes, there was a big run up from 2000 to 2011. But that period and the 1980 period are exceptional not the rule for gold returns.

I do not believe in long term holding of gold other than "insurance ". You don't buy insurance to profit. I consider ETH pure "speculation". I would never want a significant piece of my portfolio in either.

That's poor pure horse manure about where my mouth is. When have I ever touted ETH as an investment? Crypto has always been speculative to me. I've never suggested anything else and I'm notorious for constantly comparing everything to S&P 500 returns. Go look at Gazes thread among others.

And since we now know that you're only a buyer at $1650, I think it's funny that you "bashed" me for counseling caution in case we pulled back to $1790. It appears I may be a bigger believer in gold than you.

Joe

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@mark_dak said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@mark_dak said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Maybe 😁

Or $1790

Mark

Mark

For a LOONG period of time? Today, gold is exactly where it was in 2011. Yes, there was a big run up from 2000 to 2011. But that period and the 1980 period are exceptional not the rule for gold returns.

I do not believe in long term holding of gold other than "insurance ". You don't buy insurance to profit. I consider ETH pure "speculation". I would never want a significant piece of my portfolio in either.

That's poor pure horse manure about where my mouth is. When have I ever touted ETH as an investment? Crypto has always been speculative to me. I've never suggested anything else and I'm notorious for constantly comparing everything to S&P 500 returns. Go look at Gazes thread among others.

And since we now know that you're only a buyer at $1650, I think it's funny that you "bashed" me for counseling caution in case we pulled back to $1790. It appears I may be a bigger believer in gold than you.

Joe

Of course, as I have stated many times, "insurance" is exactly my reason for buying and holding gold as many members here do. Yet you continually seek out every opportunity, even right here on this thread, to point out specific times of market pullbacks or spikes.

I have also used a percentage of my holdings to take advantage of price moves in the meantime to "profit on my insurance premiums". The profits I have taken over the years has brought down the overall cost of my holdings substantially. I can walk and chew gum at the same time.

I already own a substantial position in gold so my comment suggesting if the price ever pulled back I would increase purchases in no way undermines my belief in gold. I was merely pointing out my mid-range floor (Don't suspect we will see this any time soon) on the price of the metal. That was the stated level I would consider buying modern coins, bullion, commemorative or foreign issues.

Mark

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

$2000 gold anyone 😁

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

ETH up 1% today

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    ETH up 1% today

Party on my friend!

Mark

• Options

Is tomorrow the day for 2K or we have to wait for few more days?

• Options

@jt88 said:
    Is tomorrow the day for 2K or we have to wait for few more days?

Wait

• Options

It’s sure trying. Hit 2000 for a minute earlier this week so…,,.
    Maybe 😁

• Options
    edited March 23, 2023 9:58AM

Bingo 🥜🎂🍭🍬🍹🍸

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Bingo 🥜🎂🍭🍬🍹🍸

I stand corrected. I may have to sell more...

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

There appears to be some buying going on with some countries. Here is one Kitco article but there have been others.
    Also note the move to trade without the US dollar but the yuan instead.

https://www.kitco.com/news/2023-03-23/Russia-reveals-its-gold-stash-after-it-adds-1-million-ounces.html

As of March 2023, Russia's central bank holds 74.9 million ounces (2,098 tonnes) of gold worth $135.6 billion. This is one million ounces more than the 73.9 million ounces reported in February 2022 - the last disclosure before the introduction of Western sanctions against Russia.

Russia's recent gold buying is considerably less than China's purchases. During the same one-year period, the People's Bank of China bought over 100 tonnes of gold.
    Also, during Chinese leader Xi Jinping's visit to Moscow this week, Russian President Vladimir Putin said that he supports the use of the Chinese yuan to settle trade between Russia, Asia, Africa, and Latin America.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    edited March 23, 2023 1:55PM

Come on everybody. 😁
    Bask in the glow of this wonderful achievement 🌅
    Celebrate the $2000 break through. It’s held for several hours 🍬🎂🍭🍬🍹🍸

• Options
    edited March 23, 2023 3:31PM

• Options
    edited March 23, 2023 6:57PM

@jmlanzaf said:

Now I understand how you got all your post count by posting "." LOL

• Options

@jt88 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Now I understand how you got all your post count by posting "." LOL

Lol. I decided against posting the TA of gold because I didn't want to get into an argument.

• Options

Gone up a little. Nice to wake up to 😁

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now on hold until next week. Then maybe....

https://www.kitco.com

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

@lilolme said:
    There appears to be some buying going on with some countries. Here is one Kitco article but there have been others.
    Also note the move to trade without the US dollar but the yuan instead.

https://www.kitco.com/news/2023-03-23/Russia-reveals-its-gold-stash-after-it-adds-1-million-ounces.html

As of March 2023, Russia's central bank holds 74.9 million ounces (2,098 tonnes) of gold worth $135.6 billion. This is one million ounces more than the 73.9 million ounces reported in February 2022 - the last disclosure before the introduction of Western sanctions against Russia.

Russia's recent gold buying is considerably less than China's purchases. During the same one-year period, the People's Bank of China bought over 100 tonnes of gold.
    Also, during Chinese leader Xi Jinping's visit to Moscow this week, Russian President Vladimir Putin said that he supports the use of the Chinese yuan to settle trade between Russia, Asia, Africa, and Latin America.

And the following link article does paint a very gloomy picture for the "reserve" dollar but somehow sort of get the feeling that the PM market is poised for a take off soon with new threshold numbers in place.

https://asiatimes.com/2023/03/us-bank-trouble-heralds-end-of-dollar-reserve-system/

:|

• Options

Looky at what I was greeted with just now. The little “engine that could “ just chugged over $24 an ounce. Nice to see 🤠

• Options

Ding. Ding. Ding. $2000 gold. 🎂🎊🎉

• Options

no one kowns when it will break 2K. it is back and forth at current level for a week now. We might need some news to break it out.

• Options

I’ll take a guess that anytime it gets to $2000 all that’s necessary to drive it down again is for that putz Jzyskowski to post it here. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options

There has been hard resistance at $2000 for years. Every bounce strengthens the resistance. We're getting close to a test of support at 1900-1920.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    There has been hard resistance at $2000 for years. Every bounce strengthens the resistance. We're getting close to a test of support at 1900-1920.

• Options

@mark_dak said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I take it you don't like technical analysis. I guess that takes time away from your doll collection.

• Options

@mark_dak said:

@jmlanzaf said:

https://www.barchart.com/forex/quotes/^XAUUSD/cheat-sheet

When you're done with the dolls....

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Silver at $17.77 and gold threatening to break through 1700.

Dollar incredibly strong.

Watch the FED, folks. If they surprise high, you could see the metals plummet.

Here's your "technical analysis from Sept1. 2022. How many times did Fed raise since then? Nice job, I'm sure everyone here should listen to your "analysis".

Mark

• Options
    edited April 3, 2023 5:30PM

@mark_dak said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Silver at $17.77 and gold threatening to break through 1700.

Dollar incredibly strong.

Watch the FED, folks. If they surprise high, you could see the metals plummet.

Here's your "technical analysis from Sept1. 2022. How many times did Fed raise since then? Nice job, I'm sure everyone here should listen to your "analysis".

Mark

It's not my analysis. FED moves have little to do with technical analysis which largely deals with the shape and pattern of movements. That said, the FED did not surprise high. Raising rates as predicted is not a surprise high.
    However, look at the price action of gold in September and early October - gold did breach 1700 and got down close to 1600. So you are both misunderstanding and mischaracterizing my comment as well as failing to look at the actual price movement.

I really don't know why you think that counseling occasional caution is such a problem.

So far, I've been right more than I've been wrong. But I haven't told anyone to buy or sell, just to occasionally be careful of the trend. If you're not trading, you can just sit on your little stacks of gold. But for those of us that like to trade it rather than hold it, the next move is important. And, my apologies, but the next move isn't always up...

Gold is trading in a narrow channel. At some point, it will break out. It could break out in either direction. It does matter that it can't breach the resistance at $2k. If it does, it should run to $2100ish. But it will only bounce so many times before it tests support.

Now, if support holds, it probably heads back to $2000. But for those of us who like to trade it, it matters to look for the test of support as a possible entry point.

Feel free to keep cheerleading. You are not required to contribute technical or fundamental analysis. But I don't know why you care if some people want to consider BOTH the up and down moves.

• Options

Looky here🙀

• Options

• Options

5th wave up. That might be the channel breakout

• Options
    edited April 4, 2023 7:53AM

Joe,
    I certainly hope so. What you mentioned about resistance was really an eye opening moment for me. I researched and learned quite a bit that was fuzzy in my head, at best, for me.
    Thanks.

• Options
    edited April 4, 2023 8:19AM

The almost 2% jump today https://www.kitco.com/charts/popup/au24hr3day.html might get scaled back to under 2k by close or end of the week.
    Past month comparison of Silver which is hovering near $25 mark to the USD and Bitcoin is very interesting.
    And yeah, the 90% Ag coin supply seems to have been exhausted at J. M. Bullion.
    https://www.jmbullion.com/silver/junk-silver/90-silver/all-90-silver/

**Edited to add link. ;)

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

wait until they bring out digital currency, no more cash will be circulating, that will trigger much higher gold and silver prices

• Options

So far so good, volume is high so the break out is with force. Let’s wait for the close to see the final closing price and the total volume.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭✭✭

GOLD $2,020.32 (+35.80)

Wow!

Solidly broke the $2,000. barrier this morning.

Will we see another retreat or is this just the beginning of prices staying above the two millennium mark?

• Options

@1northcoin said:
    GOLD $2,020.32 (+35.80)

Wow!

Solidly broke the $2,000. barrier this morning.

Will we see another retreat or is this just the beginning of prices staying above the two millennium mark?

Hey buddy
    What you think? 🤠
    Been riding these horses together for awhile. Congratulations and here’s my favorite answer to the burning question “ will it stay above?”

Maybe 😂😂😂🙏👍🏼🤠🎊🎂🎉🎶

• Options

TA would suggest 3 down waves after the 5th up. Those 3 waves should test support at $2000.

• Options

The closing price and the vulome are good. The volume double the average volume. Now we need to make sure it can stay above 2K in three trade days. so we will come back and check after Friday's close. If it can stay above 2K after Friday's close then we should see 2400 by year end.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file