Home U.S. Coin Forum

Need help grading a 1894 Liberty head V cents

CucumborCucumbor Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Since I'm now a member here, I decided I would have a closer look to the few US coins in my collection (I'm mainly an ancient and medieval guy, ya know !).

I attempted to photography a 1894 Liberty head V cents that was given to me maybe 40 years ago, and for the first time (I'm really an ancient and medieval guy...) went into the red book for it. To my surprise, 1894 appears to be a semi key date, and its preservation not that bad

I would assign a VF25, but being not confident enough about grading, I would appreciate any advice
Thanks for looking

Comments

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with your assessment. dirt and grime might possibly 20 it at say pcgs

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF20.

All glory is fleeting.
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

20 looks about right.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2021 1:55PM

Yes, VF-20 is probably the right call. It is a semi-key, and I think it's a hard coin to find in that grade.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think with a bold liberty like that the market grading would go 25-30.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

LIBERTY is bold, and I initially also thought 25/30, but the rest of the details look rather weak, so I’ll put it at 20 also.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS Photograde can be really helpful here. Every US type in all grades with big images. It doesn’t cover the nuances of strike or allowable wear within a grade, but overall is very helpful for getting right in the ballpark.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin! Certainly VF . . . .

Drunner

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone else bothered by all the green stuff around AMERI and other places?

I’m looking on a small screen and I can’t tell if it looks like PVC or just regular grime. Cool coin.

• truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:

I’m looking on a small screen and I can’t tell if it looks like PVC or just regular grime. Cool coin.

Yes, enveloped by PVC

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the 20 camp too... I think the green residue look like PVC. Maybe a bath in acetone might be indicated.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely needs an acetone bath and if it is in one of those soft vinyl flips, find a non-pvc holder for it - a simple mylar 2x2 will do just fine.

• USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice straight grade coin!

• CucumborCucumbor Posts: 125 ✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2021 1:36PM

@BryceM said:

Definitely PVC. During the late 70'-mid 80' I would store my coins in PVC holders. I will follow the community advice and dip it in acetone

Thanks folks for your input and help at grading this coin, much appreciated

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF20/25 and as others have said, needs acetone.

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2021 4:17PM

@Cucumbor said:

@BryceM said:

Definitely PVC. During the late 70'-mid 80' I would store my coins in PVC holders. I will follow the community advice and dip it in acetone

That's well-encrusted gunk. Rather than a fast rinse in acetone, put an inch of the liquid in a coffee cup, put in the coin, cover the top (upside-down saucer?) and let the coin soak overnight. Then take another coffee cup and fresh acetone and give the coin a second rinse. In this lower grade, an acetone-tipped Q-Tip will substitute more than adequately for the second rinse :)

The grime is under the gunk. Let's see how much comes off getting ahead of ourselves. ;)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ColonelJessup said:

@Cucumbor said:

@BryceM said:

That's well-encrusted gunk. Rather than a fast rinse in acetone, put an inch of the liquid in a coffee cup, put in the coin, cover the top (upside-down saucer?) and let the coin soak overnight. Then take another coffee cup and fresh acetone and give the coin a second rinse. In this lower grade, an acetone-tipped Q-Tip will substitute more than adequately for the second rinse :)

The grime is under the gunk. Let's see how much comes off getting ahead of ourselves. ;)

Good process but I would probably let it soak 2-3 days.

@Connecticoin said:
    Good process but I would probably let it soak 2-3 days.

The coin is now soaking in acetone. I will post a pisture of the coin when gently cleaned
    Thanks again

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the VF20-25 grade opinions....Glad you are giving it an acetone soak. Change the acetone a few times (and I hope you are using the high grade acetone). Might need a little help with a Q-tip.. do not rub... roll it gently. Cheers, RickO

• HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2021 4:22AM

@USSID17 said:
    Nice straight grade coin!

Coin wouldn't grade due to pvc it would be a detailed 20/25. Pvc damaged

If available verdicare would remove the crust, however i use mine sparingly as i believe that the maker is no longer in business.

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

Back again !

After one week soaking in acetone, and gentle cleaning here is the coin again. There is some remaining green stuff but I'm reluctant to cean it further, fearing a "polish" effect

What do you think ?

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks much better

Frank

BHNC #203

• markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably just vf

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great photos!

• USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin looks much better.

I "would not" recommend this to someone I didn't know...but....

I have used acetone and verdicare on those hard to reach areas around the devices and the denticles and have used a small (very small) soft (very soft) bristle brush. It works great (for me only) getting that gunk, grime and verdigris off a coin........most of the time. It take a trained eye knowing of the verdigris hasn't damaged or is etched into the surface of the coin... In which case I wouldn't touch it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file