Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Commerce Comet - Mickey Charles Mantle

13»

Comments

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193

You’d probably like this too, I know you like some of the non mainstream Topps stuff, like me.

1968 Topps Posters #18 Mickey Mantle

1968 Topps Posters Triumvirate

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:

@Chicago1976 said:
    A Mantle I picked up last month...

How are the borders so white and the colors so vivid?
    It's crazy!
    If I saw this raw, I would have just thought it was a reprint.

I thought the same! I purchased it raw at a coin/card shop in Ohio, then sent to SGC. The owner had just purchased a really sharp '59 set and my timing was good.

• Options

Digging out some raw stuff to try to get ready for the next Jumbo Special…

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Figured clear scans of these were worth slipping into this thread…

1960 New York Yankees Trifold - Yankees Team

1966 New York Yankees Trifold - #8 Mickey Mantle

1967 New York Yankees Trifold #8 Yankees Team

1967 New York Yankees Trifold #5 Mickey Mantle

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭

This thought just occurred to me...how would baseball and baseball card history had turned out if Mickey did not make the majors? As you can see here, Mickey was on the verge of quitting in 1951:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Mantle#Major_leagues_(1951–1968)

Suppose his father (who obviously did NOT want his son to end up working in the dangerous zinc and lead mines) had not been there to tough love his son out of quitting? Indeed his father did pass away the very next year. Mickey holds(?) the record for World Series home runs with 18 so the Yankees no doubt would not have won nearly as many of their 50s/60s championships without him. And how different would the baseball card hobby be with NO 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle or any of the other Mickey Mantle cards?

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2023 1:46PM

With the unfortunate passing of Brooks Robinson a couple months ago, I thought I'd add these to the thread...Mantle was the first autograph I ever paid for back in 1984 (I think it $10) & I added Brooks at a car dealership appearance a couple years later.....

imageimage

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ironmanfan said:
    With the unfortunate passing of Brooks Robinson a couple months ago, I thought I'd add these to the thread...Mantle was the first autograph I ever paid for back in 1984 (I think it $10) & I added Brooks at a car dealership appearance a couple years later.....

imageimage

IMF

Man… That is so cool.

• Options

@Estil said:
    This thought just occurred to me...how would baseball and baseball card history had turned out if Mickey did not make the majors? As you can see here, Mickey was on the verge of quitting in 1951:

Suppose his father (who obviously did NOT want his son to end up working in the dangerous zinc and lead mines) had not been there to tough love his son out of quitting? Indeed his father did pass away the very next year. Mickey holds(?) the record for World Series home runs with 18 so the Yankees no doubt would not have won nearly as many of their 50s/60s championships without him. And how different would the baseball card hobby be with NO 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle or any of the other Mickey Mantle cards?

I’ll do you one better?

While still in high school, Mickey Mantle was a two sport star in both football and baseball. One day during football practice he suffered an ankle injury that would result in an arthritic condition that stayed with him forever…but it could have been much, much worse. After the initial injury, Mickey spiked a bad fever, the ankle developed terrible swelling and an infection and upon arriving at the hospital the recommended course of action was to remove the leg. Mutt Mantle, Mickey’s father, shut that down very quickly as he just knew his boy was a premium athlete and he was determined to use that athleticism to divert his child out of a future - or really, no future - in the mines of Oklahoma. After some back and forth with the local doctors, he was told that perhaps he should head up to the ‘big hospital’ in Oklahoma City because they had recently obtained a new miracle drug that was the talk of the medical world. Placed on a regimen of this drug, the infection subsided and a football career ended.

But thanks to the new wonder drug known as penicillin, we ultimately get the incredible accomplishments of the baseball legend we know as Mickey Mantle.

• Options

@Estil said:

Just think about all the Bars that would have went out of business in the greater NY area had the Mick never come to town 🍻

How much did it sale for is one of the funniest and most ignorant things I've ever heard.

• Options

So Wheaties,you just had to go and say something about my Lemieux RC and make me feel guilty didn't you 😆
    This is a hand painted oil over silkscreen on canvas that measures 30x48. It's been in my possession for awhile now and if I remember the story correctly it was made for Mickey for his restaurant by former Andy Warhol assistant,Steve Kaufman. Thus the wording "Mantle's". I've tried over the years to find more info on it but no luck. Both original owner and Mr.Kaufman or SAK as Andy use to call him have both passed away.

How much did it sale for is one of the funniest and most ignorant things I've ever heard.

• Options
    edited November 28, 2023 4:09AM

@gorilla glue 4 said:
    So Wheaties,you just had to go and say something about my Lemieux RC and make me feel guilty didn't you 😆
    This is a hand painted oil over silkscreen on canvas that measures 30x48. It's been in my possession for awhile now and if I remember the story correctly it was made for Mickey for his restaurant by former Andy Warhol assistant,Steve Kaufman. Thus the wording "Mantle's". I've tried over the years to find more info on it but no luck. Both original owner and Mr.Kaufman or SAK as Andy use to call him have both passed away.

That’s a beautiful f’n piece.

Sorry for being nice; truth is, I’m kind of like Scrooge after the three ghosts, man. I wasted too much of my life being a nasty person. I’m not doing it anymore; life’s too short…

😉

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MantleFan23 said:
    @DM23HOF your 51 bowman 4 and 52 topps 4.5 show that you can get incredible eye appeal for cards in a lower grade. Great cards

Have seen the 4.5 in person and words cannot describe it - looks like a 6.5/7 with incredible centering and eye appeal.