Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sometimes I like to lay out all my coins and look at all at once. Do you?

markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is something magical and Awesome about a coin collection when it’s all layer out together. I find this one of my favorite aspects about the hobby. Rows of history right before your eyes.
Do you guys like to do the same? Post a picture of your coins layed out together as we’ll 👍

Comments

• Options
    RedstoneCoinsRedstoneCoins Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

It's more fun to see an entire date set of one series, like every Morgan or every Buffalo Nickel, in my opinion, than the cumbersome endeavor of laying out a variety of different coins. Sequential orders are more appealing than random.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guilty as charged. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never did it like that.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never. What's the point? I look at my coins one at a time.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

For my certifieds, I use the showcase feature in the registry to have a nice virtual book. It’s a pretty nice way to look at all my certified gold.

I think this is the link to mine:

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/collectors-showcase/other/turtlecat-gold/album/7935

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure do. Sometimes I just lay a few out on my desk to look at. :)

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep a folder of my TV's and even all of those sold.

Kinda like bucks on a wall.

Guess I am just lazy.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

I should... I did this a few years ago, although many of these have been changed...

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

In meaningful groups, you bet. Sometimes triggers an upgrade when I do this, unfortunately.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

...it's easier for me to just flip through my albums... but I'll likely do this with a "Box of 20" on down the road...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep my coins (slabs) in nine coin display trays. I like to view mine in one, two, or at the most three trays at a time. Since I collect my coins as date sets three trays cover most of those. Some are covered by only one tray-Braided Hair Half Cents, proof Buffalo nickels, two cent pieces and a few others.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you talking graded coins only?

Yesterday, I bought my kids each their own Whitman folders for silver coins: nickel, dime, quarter, and half dollar for the 1900'-1964 range. Should be a lot of fun filling those up!

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some great coins to look at.
    @SanctionII, would love to see a closeup of the walker. Those are some gorgeous proofs.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was a kid I would lay them out on the rug in the den.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't lay them out all on the floor....I don't think there would be enough room. However I do enjoy looking at the PCGS registry albums often. Just wished the sizes were corrected in their software programs.

Toned Type Set
    Pictorials

• Options
    BearlyHereBearlyHere Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭

@markelman1125 said:
    There is something magical and Awesome about a coin collection when it’s all layer out together. I find this one of my favorite aspects about the hobby. Rows of history right before your eyes.
    Do you guys like to do the same? Post a picture of your coins layed out together as we’ll 👍

Show off!

I LIKE IT!!!

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes
    I occasionally do

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's some real great stuff in this thread as always folks. I use to enjoy looking at albums and boxes all the time b4 i had 2 little rugrats hahaha

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that is organized, neat and tidy- just about the opposite of what mine looks like- time to go clean up........

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to lay out coins that have some connection with each other, a set of Classic Head $5 gold coins, or even an early U.S. $5 gold piece and a British guinea, but I could never lay out everything I have in a reasonable space.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. However, when I was a child I would do something similar with my Hot Wheel cars as if they were in a giant parking lot and I would take them for a drive one by one. :D

I am very thankful for the registry and True Views.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Snaps said:
    I would like to lay out all my coins but, putting them all back in place would be a nightmare. I sort of solved this dilemma when I absconded with my brother-in-law's old VHS tape holder. It rotates. So, I can get 70 PCGS holders per side. I can get 84 NGC holders per side. I use it when I am working on sets so I can physically see the coins I have over using a spreadsheet. The display is ever changing on the PCGS side, the NGC side holds my dime collection.

That’s me in the future. Awesome coin desk 👍👍👍

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2021 9:11AM

@Eddi your pics and collection are really impressive. No plastic! Love it.

Edit to add - AND you have a RI Ship token tucked into the upper corner!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve never done it, but boy am I enjoying the pics of those that do.

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:
    I've done it on occasion.
    Here are some of my gold coins

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never quite understood collectors that keep their collections in a safety deposit box. I like to look at my coins and it would seem to be hassle to go to the bank every time I wanted to look at them. I can understand the security aspect of it, but a personal safe would seem more practical.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many keep them in a SDB most of the time, with a safe at home for visits once in a while. And yes, getting them out and "posing" them, then putting them back takes some time and effort. But it's nice when after they're looked at, photographed, and then all put back, and the only thing left on the table are the guns, martial arts trophies, and rottweiler snacks 😁

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eddi said:
    I have always liked group pictures!

Getting a little greedy there with dupes on the 1822 dime!

I really like the nicer one, along with most of the rest.

Cool 😎

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    EddiEddi Posts: 454 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BustDMs said:

@Eddi said:
    I have always liked group pictures!

Getting a little greedy there with dupes on the 1822 dime!

I really like the nicer one, along with most of the rest.

Cool 😎

Thank you very much.
    There is some truth in what you say, I have always liked the Capped Bust Dime key dates (1809, 1811, 1822) and have sought them out for over 35 years now).

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably some of those '14s and '20s have the reverse letters a little close together too

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file