Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2021 High Relief Gold Liberty

messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

The design was announced back in 2019, but this is the first rendering I've seen of it in anything other than sketch form. This is out of the Mint mailing that showed up in my mailbox today. It's not even on the Mint's website yet, as they're just showing the standard "image not available" image. This could look really cool in high relief.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool 😎, I wonder what the saddle flying off the horse is supposed to symbolized?

Mr_Spud

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can just imagine so many different images (and I'm not going to go there) that could be photoshopped being thrown from the horse.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@Mr_Spud said:
    Cool 😎, I wonder what the saddle flying off the horse is supposed to symbolized?

Quoth the brochure, "bucking off a Western-style saddle, evoking the throwing off of the yoke of British rule during the American Revolution." I find the saddle unnecessary and the symbolism contrived. As with all of the HR Liberty gold, I kind of like it, and expect to like it more in person, but it could have been done better.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

They need to get rid of the sunburst. Too busy.

The really cool thing about these is that come preapproved by CAC. I didn't know CAC had a deal with the Mint.

• Options
    Samuel8Samuel8 Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

The horse is not that good. I still think Raymond Delamarre did the best horse. I have this medal. The picture is from the web.

• Options
    Samuel8Samuel8 Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

Another Raymond Delamarre horse. I have this medal too. The picture is from the web.

• Options

@Coinosaurus said:

If it had been effectively done in the background, making it a less sharply defined collection of geometric clip-art, it could have worked well. As is, it's out of character with the rest of the design and distracting.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting idea, but I don’t see how bucking a western saddle off represents throwing off British rule. If anything, it should be a British style saddle, right?

• Options

@jwitten said:
    Interesting idea, but I don’t see how bucking a western saddle off represents throwing off British rule. If anything, it should be a British style saddle, right?

That's what I was thinking. Perhaps an English saddle wasn't as interesting looking.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it! Coulda done without the sun in the background, tho.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2021 9:32PM

Hope that chicken head is replaced with one of the traditional proud eagles.

Have to agree that the stylized sun just does not fit with the realistic horse.

Did Western Style saddles even exist when the Colonials were bucking off the British?

All that said I commend the Mint for the effort to feature the horse with a rendition that is at least satisfactory.

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Samuel08 what horse?

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:

The really cool thing about these is that come preapproved by CAC. I didn't know CAC had a deal with the Mint.

what does pre-approved by cac mean? isn't cac generally used to legitimize / upgrade older graded coins? I've never used cac so clearly I've still got a lot to learn about its functions, esp w ultra moderns [bizarre from everything I've gleaned from these forums to date]

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:

Our dear 'leader' in the WH.

• Options

thanks for sharing, @messydesk

kind of a jarring design; a motif I'm not used to seeing on us coins

absolutely did not like it at first glance, and def think the shaking off the yolk of british rule is contrived as others have mentioned, BUT, as far as a 2021 design, I think it's more than appropriate, after the year we've all just been through, the horse really captures the damn-burst of resocialization many of us will experience this year

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the sun caught the horses tail on fire? Chicken head horrific. Hard pass.

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

The eagle looks possessed. The horse's tail needs some work - but I like the horse in general.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:

That's a different CAC, isn't it? That's the Citizen's Advisory Committee. Their entire role is to approve coin designs.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@Coinosaurus said:

what does pre-approved by cac mean? isn't cac generally used to legitimize / upgrade older graded coins? I've never used cac so clearly I've still got a lot to learn about its functions, esp w ultra moderns [bizarre from everything I've gleaned from these forums to date]

Different CAC

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that is a major departure in design style....Perhaps the Mint has heard repeated requests for more art on coins. Let's hope this is a beginning of such an effort. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it! Sign me up for one.
    I have felt that kind of energy... I was the yoke, when bareback riding, as the horse thought a big stick was a snake.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Well that is a major departure in design style....Perhaps the Mint has heard repeated requests for more art on coins. Let's hope this is a beginning of such an effort. Cheers, RickO

This. It was also likely impacted by what appears to be lower-than-expected sales ....

The 2017 and 2019 'American Liberty' 1.0oz. Au coins are both still available from the Mint. Currently, they are $2,765.00.

Through the week ending 05/09/21:
    ~ 17XA sold 33,632 units, or 33.6% of the 100,000 mintage limit;
    ~ 19DA sold 11,853 units, or 23.7% of the 50,000 mintage limit.

• Options
    Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

I think the horse looks like it is trying to get out of Dodge as fast as possible. And what's with the angry seagull on the reverse? :)

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Coinosaurus said:

That's a different CAC, isn't it? That's the Citizen's Advisory Committee. Their entire role is to approve coin designs.

Check the designer's initials. CAC gold, even. Four sets of initials on that coin. I wonder if CAC contributed the nasty sun.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The saddle is redundant and ugly, the sun does not match (and I like sun elements on coins). The eagle is as stated UGLY!
    The posture of the horse is fine and represents freedom, joy, energy and independence. Lose the d-mn saddle.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh mint, how far you have fallen

• Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:
    Oh mint, how far you have fallen

I agree 100% they need and go back to the 1800,&1900's when a true artist's using a sketch pad and pencil to design our money. Or give the job to designer's in Canada or Australia!
    And the same goes for Disney studio's....they did better in the late 30 's and 40's then the computer crap they put out today!
    One would think,or even believe both....would be producing better coins and designs, better animation but no.... that would be real art...not something from the HAL 900,000 spit out!

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• Options

just adding this as I haven't seen it brought up yet - I also think it's strange that they've moved away from a personification of liberty [lady liberty] and have moved onto non-human representations of liberty

i guess signals a new direction the mint will be taking w these, but - my god - lady liberty is one of the oldest, longest running concepts/motifs on us coinage [I know this is a medal, but still] - WHY steer away from personifications of liberty?

the mint and/or the ccac is not doing us coinage justice - if anything, I think they need to mint some more products that harken back to more 'classical' designs; products that build off this country's numismatic history, not torch it for some horsies

✨🐴✨

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    [I know this is a medal, but still]

>

There will be a $100 Gold coin and a $10 Gold coin.
    The Silver will be a medal...

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    just adding this as I haven't seen it brought up yet - I also think it's strange that they've moved away from a personification of liberty [lady liberty] and have moved onto non-human representations of liberty

i guess signals a new direction the mint will be taking w these, but - my god - lady liberty is one of the oldest, longest running concepts/motifs on us coinage [I know this is a medal, but still] - WHY steer away from personifications of liberty?

the mint and/or the ccac is not doing us coinage justice - if anything, I think they need to mint some more products that harken back to more 'classical' designs; products that build off this country's numismatic history, not torch it for some horsies

✨🐴✨

This is NOT a medal it is a $100 Gold Coin!

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    [I know this is a medal, but still]

>

There will be a $100 Gold coin and a $10 Gold coin.
    The Silver will be a medal...

👍

• Options

@djm said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

✨🐴✨

This is NOT a medal it is a $100 Gold Coin!

👍

• Options

perspective doesn't change 🤷😎🤙

• Options

PSA: beware forum members and god have mercy on your soul if you ever transpose medal for coin ... beWARE!!! 👻

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

The horse is a metaphor. It’s literally a metaphor

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭

If that is the winning design, I don't want to see what the runner-up was. JMO.

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t like it at all.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

The eagle dominates its side while the bronco less so

is there room for “front” “back” ?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2021 1:34PM

There must be a better tale, for that tail. If it wasn't bucking, it would be dragging.

• Options
    levinlllevinll Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭

Any idea on what the issuing price will be ?

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot!
    So much that I will be patient and wait for a graded version that I hope is closer to spot. I love the coin I just don’t intend on paying that premium.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    levinlllevinll Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭

Thanks. I'm reading this correctly, the issuing price will be $2,665.00

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@levinll said:
    Thanks. I'm reading this correctly, the issuing price will be $2,665.00

The actual 'row' is determined by the weekly average of the London Fix just prior to release. Reference
    Since this data is not yet available, we will have to estimate.

The average London Au Fix for 8/10/21 was $1,726.45.
    Based on this figure, your estimate of $2,665 is correct. :)

Note - this is an estimate. The 'row' could change prior to release.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I was raw gold, lying in the ground for millions of years, I'd be proud to be dug up and made into a $10 Lib or a $20 Saint. Being used for something like this..... not so much, and very likely it will return to the smelter for a second chance in the not-so-near future.

I'd buy this as a bullion round, but not at any sort of premium.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file