Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Maya Angelou and Sally Ride to be Honored on Quarters...And how to suggest other women!

KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/09/us/quarters-maya-angelou-sally-ride.html

SUGGEST OTHER WOMEN
Call for Recommendations: Prominent American Women and the Circulating Collectible Coin Redesign Act of 2020
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScqWjRHVCn5LXSehxtyvzAsvtZrrVctznlVEfuF-DfQeDiHrQ/viewform

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. I photographed Maya Angelou for the venue I was doing work for about 12+ years ago. I’ll have to look for those photos at some point.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

I'm still all for Molly Pitcher!!!

Mary Ludwig Hays McCauley.... "Molly Pitcher"

A heroine in the Revolutionary War. Carried water to American soldiers during the Battle of Monmouth during the American Revolution 1778, then took over for her husband on the battlefield when he was no longer able to fight.

A soldier who witnessed her in action wrote about in his diary, without referring to the woman involved by name: “While in the act of reaching a cartridge and having one of her feet as far before the other as she could step, a cannon shot from the enemy passed directly between her legs without doing any other damage than carrying away all the lower part of her petticoat.”
    It's believed she said something like, “Well, that could have been worse,” then returned to firing her cannon.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This program could be interesting.... Certainly some worthy subjects... Hopefully done artistically (such as the examples above)...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited May 11, 2021 5:52AM

@ricko said:
    This program could be interesting.... Certainly some worthy subjects... Hopefully done artistically (such as the examples above)...Cheers, RickO

Go submit your choice(s)...I know you're somewhat opinionated :wink::smiley:
    You don't have to include any personal info if you don't want to...I did, because it's just going to the The National Women's History Museum
    I included a link to a biography for them and a link to that image specifically of Molly because I think it's the best one.

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the examples shown are quite well done and should remain that way on a coin.

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 said:
    Interesting. I photographed Maya Angelou for the venue I was doing work for about 12+ years ago. I’ll have to look for those photos at some point.

would love to see that/those - what a cool opportunity

• Options

As for the opportunity, I did photography work for the University so not only did I shoot sports but also concerts and speaking events like this. I also photographed Archbishop Desmond Tutu, among many others. Robin Williams, Reverend Jesse Jackson, Snoop Dogg, Black Eyed Peas, Green Day, an NFL event for the Bart Starr award where he was present with his wife, a couple Olympians. It was only for a few years that I did this but it was neat.

Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 said:

thanks so much for sharing those ✌

• Options
    Quincyboy12Quincyboy12 Posts: 23 ✭✭

I suggested Admiral Grace Hopper and Dr. Rebecca Lancefield

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amelia Earhart, fwiw

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dolly Madison

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since the latest post is for a "Dolly"

How about: Dolly Parton

do the subjects have to be dead or can they still be living?

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@OPA said:
    Since the latest post is for a "Dolly"

How about: Dolly Parton

do the subjects have to be dead or can they still be living?

Dead is a requirement.

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭

I didn’t realize Sally Ride passed in 2012.

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

One interesting note is that on the coin Sally Ride is identified as "Dr. Sally Ride".

She has a doctorate in Physics but is not a medical doctor.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

So are these women each accepted & placed the issue of a coin from a particular "state" like previous series, or not?

• Options

@DBSTrader2 said:
    So are these women each accepted & placed the issue of a coin from a particular "state" like previous series, or not?

https://www.usmint.gov/news/press-releases/united-states-mint-announces-first-two-honorees-in-american-women-quarters-program

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the link! So do they have a link to all submitted obverse designs to choose from yet? I sure hope they don't try to change all denominations over to the current style of the Jefferson nickels.......... I dislike that one (and even more so the previous version) tremendously!! :(

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2021 9:33AM

The way we've done women over the centuries ( short-changed) , why not make them twenty cent pieces ? Bring back the classics.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2021 10:48AM

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    The way we've done women over the centuries ( short-changed) , why not make them twenty cent pieces ? Bring back the classics.

On a good day my wife would put me on a 3 Center. 🤓

I like the Molly Pitcher suggestion.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frances Perkins. One of the most important women of the New Deal era.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

The Wilma Mankiller quarter will be a hot item someday

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rooksmith said:
    The Wilma Mankiller quarter will be a hot item someday

Agree but shouldn't they change the name to Wilma Personkiller?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file