Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Found a 1oz gold bar appears to be fake

I was gonna buy a royal Canadian mint 1oz but than realised that there was something wrong in yhe picture. Can anyone agree with me or am i wrong.
Looking at the serial numbers doesn't look engraved only printed , didn't buy but some other persone on ebay did

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

FYI:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/956498/scary-good-fake-1-oz-gold-royal-canadian-mint-bars-in-assay-cards

I make no statement about the authenticity or lack thereof of this bar. That said, it would be nice if the RCM would maintain a page on its websites showing past products and what they should look like. For example, should the serial number on this particular bar be punched, printed or what?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Calls for a Sigma PM Verifier.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could just be laser etched and odd lighting. But bar could still be fake.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

The serial number looks laser-etched. So it could be a genuine bar. Additional testing would be advisable.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take a look at the edge. If it really thick, then it's fake.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

The lack of cameo frost on the center maple leaf makes me think genuine. That type of manufacturing Finesse is often overlooked with counterfeiters

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would recommend having it tested on a Sigma machine... Take it to a jeweler....The SN could be legit, looks as if it were laser etched. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    [...]
    That said, it would be nice if the RCM would maintain a page on its websites showing past products and what they should look like. For example, should the serial number on this particular bar be punched, printed or what?

Often wondered about the net benefit of such resources.

Pro: provides a potential buyer with visual characteristics to 'match'.
    Con: provides the bad guys with a 'template' for creating an even more authentic-looking fake.

If I were in the market, I would follow the sage advice offered here. Namely, a metal analysis, or a purchase from a reputable source.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do we know you aren’t a Chinese reseller looking for all the things you need to fix on your fake item!! 🤔😬😉

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea gold eagles are much harder to centerfield. They are too thin for a slice of lead. Coin collecting though can even be better than bullion because the premium dose not decrease as much as the melt value when it falls.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why is there no barcode for some sort of confirmation? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2021 9:47AM

@Namvet69 said:
    Why is there no barcode for some sort of confirmation? Peace Roy

No exactly a barcode, but there is PAMP VERISCAN.

PAMP link
    Video On Mobil App

Edited to add:
    Scottsdale Mint also offers a scan-based authentication called Certi-Lock.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

So this packaging does not have the veriscan feature, which is bad. Thanks. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    The serial number looks laser-etched. So it could be a genuine bar. Additional testing would be advisable.

The bar can be tested simply with a neodymium magnet right through the plastic. No problem and accurate as heck. No need for removal and acid testing.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are lots of counterfeit everything out there.

With the artistry of a coin it is harder to do than a round cornered bar.

Additionally, people will buy and sell bars no problem, but they buy and sell coins even better. Coins are more liquid.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wholeheartedly agree with darn near everything that’s been said here about buying bars versus coins.
    I feel very comfortable with the authenticity of the gold coins I buy from major dealers like Provident, APMEX, my local dealer, etc. and even with that assurance I would not step in to buying the typical gold bars. I did buy a few of the maple grams, even though they have a higher premium, and are very cool!
    Oh, and this untypical lucky 8:

8.888 Minted.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2021 2:22PM

Alot of wise men have told you to buy the coin... buy the coin and not the bar.

Bars, scrap jewelry are better left to the experts.

Not saying you can't become the expert, but in the short term stick to what is most popular and liquid. Coins in bullion or numismatic areas.

Even ran into some headaches with Olympic gold coin

Dealers like what is easy.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of excellent, authentic but high premium gold coins, what will be the going price for this enduring beauty on May 13?

I’m pretty thankful I did my buffalo proof purchasing back in 2008.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file