Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do some people only collect in low grades?

UrbanDecay04UrbanDecay04 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 6, 2021 5:47PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've noticed on the BST forum, people seem to try and buy in low grades, so my question is, "Do some people only collect in low grades no matter the date (modern or classic)?"

Comments

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Lowball sets are for the lowest grades possible and everyman sets are circulated only sets (Up to AU-58+).

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is called Low Ball collecting.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    YoloBagelsYoloBagels Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

People collect low grades when:

A. They can't afford better grades

or

B. For lowball sets (PO-01 graded coins), "niche collecting"

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whether I buy uncirculated or circulated depends on the price.

For instance, when I bought my 1916 D Mercury Dime, I bought a G04. Even if I could afford an uncirculated 1916 D Merc, I would not spend that much money on a coin.

However, if I am buying Washington Quarters for instance, I would buy nice PCGS MS63 to MS66 coins. They are/were quite affordable. I bought a whole bunch of them many years ago. Don't need any more.

This is just a hobby for me. I am quite picky, and selective whether I buy uncirculated or circulated. I like a nice circulated, problem free coin, as well as a beautiful MS coin. I collect both.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YoloBagels said:
    People collect low grades when:

A. They can't afford better grades

or

B. For lowball sets (PO-01 graded coins), "niche collecting"

I resemble that remark . . . . . .

Yup, some of us are "bottom feeders" . . . . . .

I am more of the "Everyman" collector. I go after the AU-58+ examples while everyone else chases the "Top Pop" . . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

this one is graded PO-01

That one has been around the block a few times. I like it, now many hands that rubbed it for good luck I wonder.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, kids, people who just want to fill the album holes. When I was a kid, ag Indian head cents, V nickels, buffalo nickels, and Lincoln cents, were plenty good enough for my childhood budget.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2021 11:25PM

1787 Fugio Cent - PCGS PO01 - Ex. Brent Pogue

Brent Pogue had an amazing low ball type set. I was lucky to pick one up.

1837 Feuchtwanger Cent - German Silver - Reeded Edge - PCGS PO01 POP 0/1/663 - Ex. Bill Fivaz

I've always wanted a Dr. Feuchtwanger Cent and now I have one!

1924 Huguenot-Walloon Tercentenary - PCGS PO01 POP 0/4/4,581 - Ex. Bill Fivaz

Yes, classic commems did circulate!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that low grade coins that are otherwise problem free are very cool. B)
    Do the major grading services need to be able to identify the date and mintmark before they slab a low grade coin?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depending on your definition of low grade, I would answer 'NO'. I think everyone who collects low grade coins, Poor and Fair grade, also have higher grade coins in their collection.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many collectors focus on lower grade coins... some for cost, some because the wear appeals to them - signifying use and history. Personally, the super worn coins do not appeal to me. I do like the circulated cameo look, and respect coins with honest wear from commerce, as long as good detail remains. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Low ball collecting ... not my thing at all.

The trouble with many of these items is that they were pocket pieces, not coins that really circulated to get all of that wear. It's very tough to find an item that got worn down to a Poor-1 from circulation that did not sustain other damage.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@ajaan said:

Depending on your definition of low grade, I would answer 'NO'. I think everyone who collects low grade coins, Poor and Fair grade, also have higher grade coins in their collection.

Nice high grade coin ;)

• Options
    edited May 7, 2021 8:18AM

@UrbanDecay04 said:

@Zoins said:
    1787 Fugio Cent - PCGS PO01 - Ex. Brent Pogue

Brent Pogue had an amazing low ball type set. I was lucky to pick one up.

1837 Feuchtwanger Cent - German Silver - Reeded Edge - PCGS PO01 POP 0/1/663 - Ex. Bill Fivaz

I've always wanted a Dr. Feuchtwanger Cent and now I have one!

1924 Huguenot-Walloon Tercentenary - PCGS PO01 POP 0/4/4,581 - Ex. Bill Fivaz

Yes, classic commems did circulate!

I'm surprised those are worth so much given the grade... but I guess rarity trumps quality when it comes to coins

This is where there’s may be a disconnect. For lowballers, these are high quality. The half isn’t even that rare as it as a pop of 4! I just think the honest wear looks awesome. Appreciating the look of a lowball is a bit like appreciating the look of a toner. It’s in the eye of the beholder.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect lowball US gold. It’s not my main focus, but it’s a fun rabbit hole to occasionally go down.

Certified lowball gold is very difficult to locate, which adds to the intrigue. I could buy 100 MS65 Saints today, if I wanted to. Try to locate 100 VG Saints today.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting low grade coins can be very exciting for some and mean nothing to others. IMO.

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    Collecting low grade coins can be very exciting for some and mean nothing to others. IMO.

Agreed. I collect almost exclusively XF and below classic silver coins and it's not because I cannot afford better grades as stated in another post. Circulated coins just interest me more. To each their own.

• Options
    JimsokayJimsokay Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

It's a fun hobby for me so I collect what I like, what appeals to me at the time. My "collection" varies from MS67's down to "You actually paid money for that"!??!

The great thing about coins is someone out there is getting enjoyment out of finding a worn-out Wheat penny in their change today while another is upgrading a rare coin to an even more rare coin. Both are enjoying the hobby equally and the rest is semantics.

I have on my desk the most gosh awful 165 year old crud packed penny I have ever seen! I have never cleaned a coin, but I bought this with the intention of trying to clean it without making it look like it was heavily cleaned. It's a ten dollar coin at best and after I figure out the best way to start cleaning it, I know in the end it will still be worth at least a penny and maybe even ten dollars. Don't do this with any Proof $20 gold pieces that you have lying around. Meanwhile enjoy the hobby, it's for you to enjoy.

• Options

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

"When the roosters are crowing, and the cows are spinning in the pasture. Ducks fly together!"

Ahhh, the good old days when nearly NO ONE collected LowBall coins. The vast horizon of opportunity at large coin shows to find these beauties, pennies on the dollar. No one cared! These were coins others mocked and ridiculed! I don't know if I am happy or sad to see the popularity of LowBall coins thrive.

peacockcoins

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most collectors like to upgrade. I knew a collector (1980's) who would down grade whenever he found a coin in a lower grade, he would just sell the higher grade example and keep the lower grade coin.

• Options

@braddick said:
    "When the roosters are crowing, and the cows are spinning in the pasture. Ducks fly together!"

Ahhh, the good old days when nearly NO ONE collected LowBall coins. The vast horizon of opportunity at large coin shows to find these beauties, pennies on the dollar. No one cared! These were coins others mocked and ridiculed! I don't know if I am happy or sad to see the popularity of LowBall coins thrive.

I don't know why anyone would collect any clad coin, but people do.

• Options

@UrbanDecay04 said:

@Jimsokay said:

@braddick said:

I don't know why anyone would collect any clad coin, but people do.

I find (SOME) clad coins interesting, but if there's a silver version of it, I'd prefer that

Edited to add: If there's a silver, business strike (not proof) version of it, I'd prefer that... As much as I like proofs, modern business strikes in high grades are usually worth more and often are more attractive, on the other hand, I'd love to own classic proofs (1938 back)

@UrbanDecay04

Point was, people collect what is of interest to them. No right or wrong.

• Options

@braddick said:

I remember your posts early on. I wonder if you were the inspiration for Brent Pogue's lowball type set?

Some classic coins are still easily found raw.

• Options
    edited May 7, 2021 7:55PM

@Nysoto said:
    I enjoy collecting in a range of grades, but not P1 pocket pieces. This is an AG3 half dollar that served a full tour of duty in commerce:

What diagnostics does that have that says it’s not an AG3 pocket piece to you? How do you make the distinction between an AG3 pocket piece and AG3 circulation wear?

And what diagnostics do my coins above, say my Fugio Cent, that makes you think it didn't circulate?

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said "The trouble with many of these items is that they were pocket pieces, not coins that really circulated to get all of that wear. It's very tough to find an item that got worn down to a Poor-1 from circulation that did not sustain other damage."

I agree with the above comment, and whether a coin was a pocket piece depends on if it had circulation marks, or if it was entirely smooth from pocket wear with no other coins, keys, knives, etc. The 1795 that I posted has many small circulation marks, no doubt at times carried in a pocket but with other objects that created marks. The posted Fugio has marks, and I have seen early copper worn to P1 that are similar. Some of the other 20th century coins posted appear to be like the pocket pieces that BillJones described .

Here is another AG3 from my collection that has a number of small circulation marks, but none that are distracting or would be considered damage. Both of my 1795's viewed with a loupe reveal varying sizes of circulation marks, scratches, and digs.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes dealers describe coins with "honest wear" an interesting but nebulous description. So does a coin with intentional pocket wear to get to a P1 lowball have dishonest wear? :o

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2021 9:58PM

@Baley said:
    I myself don't understand collecting coins only in low grades, as most are easy to find and afford in medium to reasonably high grades. Coins in ultra high grades, one mustn't touch and are very relatively expensive. Coins in ultra low grades are novelties, sure, and I have a few, but one of the main pleasures of coin collecting for me is being able to handle and use a loupe to closely examine mid-grade historical coins with interesting surfaces. At the moment I'm looking at some old half dollars.

Seeing pics of midgrade raw coins gives me the same feeling I had when I collected as a kid. (Although I wasn't collecting Bust and SL halves in 4th grade.) I don't know if this will make sense, but as a collector now with more income, I feel almost an obligation to buy the highest grade I can afford. It can be a source of stress and anxiety. Did I buy a nice enough one, or should I have splurged for the next grade up? Can I show off my coin on the forums, or is it not up to par?

Sometimes I think about collecting lower grade coins and just enjoying the hobby for myself again like a kid.

• Options
    edited May 8, 2021 5:56PM

@Nysoto said:
    Sometimes dealers describe coins with "honest wear" an interesting but nebulous description. So does a coin with intentional pocket wear to get to a P1 lowball have dishonest wear? :o

If so, a coin with intentional pocket wear to get to an AG3 lowball would also have dishonest wear :o

You seem to make a distinction with P1s but lowball collectors collect multiple grades including AG3s and much higher.

The top ranked Low Ball Registry Set has 9 coins at AG3 and grades as high as F15.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/low-ball-sets/low-ball-type-sets/complete-u-s-type-set-low-ball-1792-1964/alltimeset/32379

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are a couple of low grades NOBODY would want:

peacockcoins

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2021 5:33PM

If you can think of it, it's probably being collected. There are guys that only collect PO01 slabbed coins..... As you can see from the above examples.

• Options
    edited May 9, 2021 9:05AM

@braddick said:
    Here are a couple of low grades NOBODY would want:

You are not a NOBODY! You are a SOMEBODY!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file