Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Numismatic Destinations – The Dahlonega Gold Museum

Back in February, Joshua McMorrow-Hernandez took us on a journey through the Philadelphia Mint sites. Today, Jay Turner features another numismatic destination, the Dahlonega Gold Museum. Below are a few excerpts, be sure to visit the link below for the full account of his visit.

"The Dahlonega Mint was one of the three original United States branch mints. Today, the mint building is gone, with the main structure having burnt down in 1878; the foundation of the original location still resides on the campus of the University of North Georgia. In lieu of this historical building having all but vanished, the Old Lumpkin County Courthouse built in 1836 has been converted into the Dahlonega Gold Museum, which was my intended destination."

"While the mint is gone, the Dahlonega Gold Museum is a better representation of numismatics than some other mint museums I have visited. The effort to educate and showcase the history of the Dahlonega Mint, regional gold history, and United States coinage history is worth the visit, especially if you come in with an understanding of numismatics. If you are in the region, I would make the effort to visit this numismatic and historical landmark for yourself!"

Full piece: https://www.pcgs.com/news/numismatic-destinations-the-dahlonega-gold-museum

Want our top articles delivered to your e-mail inbox bi-weekly? Join our e-newsletter here: https://www.pcgs.com/newsletter

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have visited New Orleans old mint area and Charlotte’s. I tried to find San Fran’s but only found the older building that was being converted to condos or something. Hopefully I can make it to Dahlonega sometime. Sounds like this one is worth going to.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will have to add a visit to this museum next time i'm in the area. Speaking of... wonder if the forum member @Dahlonega still checks in.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just be aware, won't take long to go through museum. Quaint town square with restaurants and shopping. Nearby Helen is a tourist stop as well. Swiss village look in the north GA mountains.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received this post card as an extra bonus when I made a purchase from the legendary and generous Lord Marcovan. :)

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having lived my entire life a mere 20 miles from Dahlonega, I've visited the museum many times. It is well worth checking out if you happen to be in the area.

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Will have to add a visit to this museum next time i'm in the area. Speaking of... wonder if the forum member @Dahlonega still checks in.

Last active in 2017 so I’d say no.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

Hmm, i guess this is a different Dahlonega as the sets continue to be updated: https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/dahlonega/othersets/5733

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:

@TurtleCat said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

Hmm, i guess this is a different Dahlonega as the sets continue to be updated: https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/dahlonega/othersets/5733

It could be the same but the names of the sets don’t usually match usernames.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first visit to that museum got me started on a decade of rare gold collecting

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a cool place to visit. I was there a couple of decades ago. It looks like they have expanded since I was there.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been there, cool little town. Funny thing is D is the one mint I have never owned a coin from.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like visiting sites such as this. Being a confirmed gold bug, the Dahlonega Museum would be a super treat. I like gold nuggets, gold dust, gold jewelry and gold coins....and even reading about gold rush history (Yes, I have books on that). Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited September 13, 2021 4:04AM

@TurtleCat said:
    I have visited New Orleans old mint area and Charlotte’s. I tried to find San Fran’s but only found the older building that was being converted to condos or something. Hopefully I can make it to Dahlonega sometime. Sounds like this one is worth going to.

Just wanted to add that I just visited Dahlonega for the first time this weekend. It is a small town but it’s very quaint. My wife really enjoyed the town square. Everything is pretty close to each other.

If you have children or relatives with special needs there is a fully inclusive playground and a lot more awareness of special needs than I find typical.

The museum in the courthouse is small but worth a visit. I went to the two bigger gold mines: Crisson and Consolidated. Crisson has the better gold but the underground tour of Consolidated was a lot more fun and interesting than I thought.

So if you get a chance to visit, I think you should.

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the bump. Was supposed to visit in April while travelling to SC but it never materialized. Is a bucket list item for sure. ;)

Cheers.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file